lessons: what are you working on?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

fox trot is IT jwl, just keep workin - its the ultimate standard....
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Well, Viennese and I don't get along very well in Smooth, but the comfort is supposed to be that I already know natural turn, reverse turn, and change step, and that's all I need for Standard VW. He also said that Waltz should not be hugely difficult. I'm very curious to find out why exactly Slow Fox is going to be such a pain. I know it's DIFFERENT from Am. Foxtrot, but having never done it, I'm not sure how precisely.
  3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Foxtrot is the TOPS jwl, just stick at it and suddenly you are soaring on clouds in a glider
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

how odd: my last post is #5443 while hte one before is 5440 - there are two missing, one of which is, I think mine. I thought i had replied to this before!
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

there was something a bit hinky going on with this thread this morning on the technical end...anyhow...lessons:

partnerships skills today...and finally, finally...I let everything else go...there isn't much else to do but sigh in contentment and gratitude for finally being in that space to do that
  6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

the mysterious inner workings of latin.... *groan*
  7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

LG: you talkin' dance or guys? :p
  8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

hey ed! Yeah, it's the dancing....though I wouldn't mind a crack at figuring some of those guys out too.... *grin*
  9. Josh

Josh Active Member

If you mean american silver foxtrot, then different, but not vastly, unrecognizably different. If you mean american bronze foxtrot, then vastly, unrecognizably, totally different. :) Either way you'll enjoy it. It's extremely difficult, but with hard work you can turn out something even more extremely beautiful! If all you know is bronze american, don't worry, even though it's vastly different, bronze american provides some nice building blocks for slow foxtrot.
  10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

He who rules foxtrot, rules standard...
    (and yes, I did mean to say 'he')
  11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Bronze. I actually did Pre and Int Bronze at Ohio. My pro's intending for Standard to make my Smooth better. (MY intentions, now....seriously, what's with all the Standard-bashing? I *like* watching Standard. It's pretty.)

On the Rhythm front...coaching lesson next week. Given the marks from this judge at Ohio, I'm rather curious to hear what she's going to say.

(I'm kind of hoping the coach I had session with in...August...will come back again soon. He wanted to see me again "in six months". Probably the first thing would be "Still having issues with the shoulders....")
  12. fascination

today...all latin routines except jive...worked things like use of center in specific ways in specific spots...and some styling that I have been avoiding
  13. Corne

Corne New Member

* highjack *

With no specific thread dedicated to international comps, i will say here that i won my bronze division international standard section yesterday. We had 2 semi final rounds with 13 couples in those rounds combined, 6 couples made it to final round. We had an adjudicator from the UK as well so the dancing couldn't have been too bad.

* unhighjack *
  14. fascination

congrats...corne...

lesson today = dunno but can't wait...on a roll
  15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Wow, Corne! Thats fantastic. Winning with that many entrants is no small achievement.

Congrats!! :)
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

corne, that is awesome... congratulations!
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

more of the same... connection between the toes and support through the mid-back.

imagine a flexible plastic straw and how if you compress the top and bottom together it curves because of the unimpeded connection between the two points. feels like that... diminish the strong & sensitive "aliveness" of the toes brought up through the center and the support to the upper body instantly drops. best i can describe it for the moment, but am amazed at how it feels when i feel it strong, and how quickly things deteriorate when i lose it...
  18. fascination

more continuous arm styling through use of the center...better shading, better partnering
  19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Why is it that I can have all the confidence I need to while doing other things, but yet when it comes to my Latin dancing, I become all nervous and totally lacking in self-confidence? I've seen the moves done. I know I can do them, because I have when I finally get myself to calm down. But for some reason, my confidence gets me when I actually try to do them. Like the Surprise Break. I've seen it done, and it looks really sexy when I do it right. But for some reason, it's like I become this little kid, and I start doubting myself about how sexy I am when I do that move. Then I want to shut down and not even do it even when I have just done it right. But it's such a fun move that I do love it, and I do want to learn how to do it. It's just that for some reason, my confidence goes downhill. How do you overcome this? I need to be able to figure out something to get past Silver. It's just that even in the sexiest outfit, I can't get out of that shell.
  20. fascination

I wouldn't define the problem as one that has much to do with getting past silver...I don't know of many coaches who would disagree with bronze being the most critical level in which to practice good technique...in fact I beleive angel hi said something to that effect about practicing the basics just the other day...it really isn't the level of the step that defines the skill of the dancer
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.