lessons: what are you working on?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Not kidding. But I've discovered that just because you've passed bronze does not mean you can't go back and work totally on bronze technique. Its what has happened to us recently. We worked up a gold routine and have competed in it but have discovered that dancing together requires a major revisit/brush-up/relearn of fundametal method - so back to grade school we go (and, by the way, we are loving it...).
  2. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I am in grade school every day of my dance career.
  3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

What was that famous quote? I think it was a brit champ who said something like: I practice a (FT) feather and reverse turn every day, and one day I hope to get it right....

Still, even if we remain in grade school through out our dance lives, we do get excursions to other schools - in our case middle school and I'll bet that you are making regular trips to the university :)
  4. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

But even when I am at the university, I study grade school topics. ;)
  5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

And I try to (in the non-dance world). The more fundamental a discovery the more basic a text book it ends up in....
  6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Huh. Reminds me of one of my all-time favorite quotes:

"Bugger all this for a lark."
  7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

wasn't that a line from Shelly's 'Ode to a skylark'?

Hail to thee blither spirit,
    That from heaven or close to it
    Poureth fourth thy heart
    In profuse strains of unpremeditated art
    Bugger all this for a lark

then again, maybe not...
  8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely sure I'm missing something. :)

I know it, I think, from Good Omens. And DH, who's always saying it.
  9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I agree that basic is always good to practice, and we do all of the time. But that's not really what I was talking about. What I found today and other days while dealing with Latin (basic or not) is that I just don't feel sexy while dancing it. I don't know why. I'm confident at work, and everywhere else. But for some reason, Latin scares me. It's like I'm scared to be sexy, or I don't feel as though I'm like the other Latin dancers that you see performing, and that scares me. And the thing that bothers me is that I know it looks great when I do the steps right, but for some reason, I doubt myself. I want to be able to feel the moves I'm doing basic or not. But to me in some ways, this is why dance is really good for me. It's making me look at issues I've tried to not care about in the past, and once I get over these emotional struggles, I know I'll be fine.
  10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

HOw do you feel when you practice latin by yourself - say at home in the kitchen (my favorite latin floor :))? Can you get into it then or is there still an issue?
  11. Cal

Cal Active Member

You DON'T have to be like all the other Latin dancers that you see performing. Just a thought: instead of thinking that you must be a "sexy" Latin dancer, why not instead focus on being an "elegant" Latin dancer, or a "sassy" Latin dancer? Maybe that kind of performance goal would suit you better for now. Experiment again later with being "sexy".
  12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I can sure believe that. One that bothers me most is just my chacha basic. Have talked to sister about that too, and even as a teacher, and doing this (dance in general and ballroom in particular), a lot longer than me, she saays she feels same way, to this day isn't happy with her technique on the basic, even if it's "right", still not as good as she (or I, in my case) want.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wisdom there...I postively don't have a capacity for the sexy thing...so I try to go for elegant or sassy as well....and the thing is the movement itself is sensual if you spend enough time working on it...but I think the only time I can pull sexy off is when I am social dancing with dh...otherwise it just ain't gonna happen...nope...and that is gonna hafta be okay...
  14. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I agree with f. Trying to think "sexy" just makes me feel more inhibited. So I just think about doing the movement well--and well-done latin movement happens to be sexy.

Speaking of which, started learning some silver rumba today! It's the first silver I've done in rhythm (won't tell you how long I've been in bronze!). I know the level of the patterns you do isn't that significant--but still, it felt good to be "promoted"!
  15. fascination

totally understand
  16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yeah, it's still an issue. I would practice at the gift shop that I worked at, because we'd have slow times, and I'd be working by myself. And I couldn't do it. It's like I would try, but then yeah... it was still an issue.

But I actually like everyone's ideas. I will take everything into consideration. And maybe within time the more that I do it... the more that I'll start feeling the way that I want to feel. And maybe sexy isn't the word I should be aiming for right now. Maybe I should pick a different word, and have the sexy thing as part of a goal to work towards? Because when I reach that goal, I know that for me personally that I would have come a long ways.
  17. Josh

Josh Active Member

When I dance, I don't even consider adjectives to describe myself or even how I feel. I just am what I am, and I look how I look, and I feel how I feel. I'll leave the adjectives for others, and hopefully there will be a few complimentary ones mixed in there somewhere!

I practice Latin constantly in front of a mirror, because I know what to look for. (When I DON'T know what to look for, then I get frustrated practicing in front of a mirror) What you describe, SPratt, is an interesting situation that we all face. Here's my take on it. If I know what I should be doing, but simply can't do it yet, then I can still feel sexy trying. However, if I find myself in the unfortunate situation of just dancing and I'm not really sure what I'm doing, then I can't really feel sexy or confident at all.

To me, knowledge of how I'm supposed to look makes a huge difference in my self-image. Without knowledge of what I'm supposed to be doing, or with knowledge that I'm not quite convinced of yet, I feel like a blundering, aimless dancer. But when I see where I am going in my mind, or when I see others doing what I want to be doing and I know how to get there, then my own self-image, which is a healthy one filled with confidence, can still shine through, even if I know I don't look as good yet.
  18. fascination

yes..josh...for me the best approach is:...this is what is neccessary for it to look good...therefore...this is what I must do to be good....end of story
  19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I think I am reading the DFfP thread - Dance Forum for Puritans.

Aparently, either no one here dances sexily - or no one is fessing up! Odd, since when I watch latin competitions every single person seems to be out-sexing every other one :)

Thus, either the sexy dancers are keeping very quiet here or 'sexy' is simply in the eye of the beholder reflecting the nature of the dance itself. I'm pretty sure its a bit of both - it is well nigh impossible to do correct rhumba motion without exuding sex. And, I think there is a bit of harlot in all of us, given the dance excuse we emit sexiness because we are allowed to.
  20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

A great observation, elisdedance.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.