lessons: what are you working on?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

...ballroom lesson yesterday...quantum leap in connection...strongest it's ever been...modest gain in positioning using an interesting analogy...it's all good...;-)
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

um...I can do harlot with dh socially to beat the band...but um...ain't happening with pro...no no nono no non
  3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Where's Justin Timberlake when we need sexy back?? ;)

Here's my take. I have generally shot for elegant during the three years I have been in syllabus. I've tried to focus on my connection to him -- looking at him intently, then turning away, back to him, etc. I'm trying to give my (subpar) version of "I want you, naahh...changed me mind". However, now that I am starting to work on open routines, I find that I'm a bit more "free" to play around a bit with the body, hands, etc. So, is it more sexy? I dunno....I'll probably LMAO when I watch a video...but I think once you are REALLY comfortable/confident with the movements, only then can you really turn your mind to character, emoting, and really selling what you want to sell.
  4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

So...Latin is about the women selling themselves? I thought that was illegal...
  5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Wow! You said it better than I did! And you put out some good advice as well that I will definitely think about. I especially enjoyed reading your last paragraph. I will say this, I know I am doing a million times better than I was even at the beginning of the year. I know I'm not there yet, but maybe I should just be proud with how far I've come instead of focusing on what I haven't achieved yet.
  6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

How do you think we pay for the lessons???? :lol:

I think the selling applies to all the styles of dancing, btw.

And fwiw, I asked Michael Wentink about this very subject and he said "skip ballet, take acting classes". !
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

comforting to hear this from someone at your level of dancing, skwigs... i generally feel like it will be many years before i could even see the potential of leaving the lowest grades...
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

am deep into standard basics... building the frame on the simplest of principles... endeavoring to continue developing the toe-back-support connection and smoothly synchronized walking... smooth & strong is the goal. overcoming personal weaknesses to achieve this has basically become my world...

enjoying the latin, tho, big-time. added a cha-cha comp routine last night. am quite surprised that all i really want to spend time on in lessons is latin. i guess cuz i'm in such a frustrating (albeit fertile) phase with standard...
  9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Lowest grades, hell. Compared to squiggy, I'm not out of kindergarten yet! :oops:
  10. cornutt

Last night was all about waltz (smooth). Worked on the check & develope, applying the advice Larinda offered in my thread about that. It's much better now. Thanks, Larinda! One bad problem I discovered was that I was allowing my foot to turn towards my partner. So I worked on getting it turned properly to cross-check the step. In fact, I worked so hard on it that I tweaked my knee a bit, and it's kind of sore today. However, I don't think it was hyper-extension so much as just using some muscles and tendons that don't get much use. They'll get stronger. I also had to work on my chasses, and my instructor gave me some self-defense drills about how to adjust the chasse to keep up with a follow who doesn't do her turn in a straight line.

After that, we worked on oversway (another step I usually make a horrible mess of). She wants me to change my ending to a whisk ending. Then, we reverted to bronze for a while and worked on fallaway and rock. The way I do it is really stiff and it doesn't rotate much, so we worked on that. I've been doing it with my legs too stiff (both knees locked), and with my weight kind of stuck between feet. With softer knees, it's much better now.
  11. Josh

Josh Active Member

Being sexy is not achieved by doing rumba walks and saying to yourself "be sexy now, be sexy baby" (though that picture just makes me laugh hehe). We may exude sex when we do it, but it's not created by trying to be sexy. Oh, and on that note, I've seen people dancing very correct, beautiful cuban motion who did not exude sex, because being sexy is about more than being technically correct, though it's hard to be sexy without doing it well.

I guess this is where the intangible "something" about a person comes into play, just like you can look at someone and just feel something there, whereas you can look at another person and just feel normal. Someone can appear to be "forcing sexy" and another is effortlessly "exuding sexy" ... and I don't mean just dancing, I'm talking about in general, although the same applies for dancing.
  12. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

You Ladies are to funny. :uplaugh:

I wonder if we guy can to the same and have any luck. :rolleyes: :confused:
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

uh sorry...it is patently obvious to me that I am buying not selling...OTOH...perhaps that is a slant worth exploring for emoting purposes...hmm...anyhow am sick today... called off for the first time ever other than nuerotic issues;)...pro starts laughing and asks if there is a typhoon out this way...he was incredulous that I would cancel
  14. cornutt

I think I know the answer to that already... I'm probably lucky that my instructor doesn't make me pay extra!
  15. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol! I should have brought this subject up long ago. I could have saved me some money! ;)
  16. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Cornutt,

I think she should she deserves it..:uplaugh:
  17. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I like your posts, because you just have a way to say things that I seem to understand. So, thank you for responding. I especially like your second paragraph. I know what you mean by that. Thank you. ;)
  18. Josh

Josh Active Member

Glad it's helpful spratt!
  19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yep it truly is. Thank you! ;)
  20. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hi Everybody! We've started a new lessons thread since this one has gotten so big (and seems a bit harder to load now). The new thread is:

http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=22401

I'll be locking this thread down so please do make all your new lessons posts in the new thread! Thanks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.