lessons: what are you working on?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Sunday afternoon I had a lesson, on quickstep and samba. With the quickstep routine, at least I knew the steps and directionally where I going, so the focus was on making the dance flow better. I can't tell how many times I did the double reverse heel turns by myself. After using an interesting practice exercise, the dance started to look better, finally. I think I could get into this dance. The lesson ended with reviewing the beginning of the samba routine. As with the quickstep, the focus was on making the dance flow better. It's all about grasping the concept that body rhythm occurs when you're standing still, not when you're taking the steps.

2. alemana

alemana New Member

this week i'm hoping to get him to agree to switch gears a little. it's been going so exceedingly well with basic movement refreshers and a very invigorated rumba routine, but i get nervous not dancing any of the other dances.

so i'm going to push for a bolero clinic this week. wish me luck :)

3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Make sure you're good and rested! We went to the bolero group preceding our social dance last Friday. By the end of the group, my DW and I were both utterly exhausted. So much so that we left halfway through the social. The last dance I did before we left was a rumba, and I just could not keep my legs under me. Rarely have I experienced that as a dancer -- being so physically tired that my body just refused to cooperate any further.

4. alemana

alemana New Member

i know that feeling well (happens to me every sunday at the social.) but i hear what you're saying - it will definitely be a (welcome) challenge. the kind of technical leaps i'm making now are making the hourlong lessons feel about 100% more difficult, stamina-wise, but i'm enjoying it so much more now.

5. LXC

LXC New Member

Had lessons yesterday and once again all it's all about keeping left side/shoulder forward in left turning figures. Thought we'd made some progress in this aspect, but apparently it's too small to be noticed :( This will be our focus for the month.

6. alemana

alemana New Member

we'd been working on basic movement for a few weeks, concentrating on rumba. so last night we started in with cha cha.

i'm finding it MUCH harder. the correct foot and leg position in the lockstep is just terrifically difficult for me - I didn't feel I did it well once in the entire hour, and then I went to practice for another 2 hrs after and I still sucked. Specifically, keeping up on my toes on both feet when locked (his preferred position) is really hard, and I learned it with the front foot flat.

Then again, I never thought I'd have a worthy rumba walk, so I guess it's just a matter of practice. At least I understand now what I'm trying to achieve, rather than just throwing myself into steps.

7. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

Don’t get disheartened. Doing those basic steps well takes your lifetime of practice. I heard that Donie Burns still spends hours a day practicing Rumba walks. I have not seen many top Latin dancers with good Rumba walks, either. As you said, as long as you know where you are trying to achive and what is the right way to do it, half of the job is done.

8. alemana

alemana New Member

the rumba basic movement is better and better.. more 3-dimensional. i'm working hard on power leg action and that's making all the difference.

however, my feet are killing me, just killing me, every time i practice, from the first moment of practice. it's been a couple days that my practices have been really uninspired and i just realized that it's because i'm so tired of being in pain. bleh.

i wish i had worked on this from the moment i started ballroom dancing, i would be so much further along now and i wouldn't feel like i had been wasting time. oh well - better late than never.

the cha-cha movement continues to be a challenge, especially the locksteps. we'll work on that tonight, probably. i hope there will be some bolero but i may have to give up the ghost on that for a while.

what're YOU working on?

9. yanka

yanka New Member

Totally agree with you. I went to practice at the gym yesterday, and there was someone working out in the dance room that I normally use. When he saw me putting on my dance shoes, he asked me if I was going to tap.
    Me: "no, I'm going to walk"
    Him: "walk?"
    Me: "yeah, walk. you know, forwards and backwards..."

good stuff.

10. alemana

alemana New Member

heh. i'm so there.

11. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Joke of the day.........as I say goodnight. This was excellent !! :D :D :D

12. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

I can't count the number of times my boyfriend has come over to find me in my living room, in high heels, walking towards a propped-up mirror, with a look of concentration on my face. He keeps joking that all he hears is "not now honey, I'm walking!"

13. alemana

alemana New Member

the poor boys at my gym who like to watch me practice turn away in disappointment now. the box step (american rumba) over and over bores them to tears.

14. Mr. Dance

Mr. Dance New Member

By sheer good fortune I was able to pick up an intermediate ballroom class that runs for the next 6 weeks. One of the students that is in that class is also in my other 2 classes Im taking right now and she turned me onto it so Im gonna start that one tomorrow night. WooHoo !!! :D

Bring on the dancing !!!

15. Over the last 2 weeks I was able to take 3 coaching sessions. 2 with a former World 10 Dance Champion and 1 with a former Undefeated US Champion. So I guess over the next few weeks, Sunshine will be drilling into me what the said.

16. alemana

alemana New Member

last night we... well ok he.... put together a practice drill for me. rumba.

version #2334879485784 of "things i wish i'd done from the start instead of focusing on choreography."

ah well.... live and learn.

i'm still trying to diagnose why my feet are so ****ing sore since we started working on basic movement. i hope it's good sore (using them right) and not bad sore.. that's my only worry. otherwise, i can take the pain. really. BRING IT.

17. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

It could mean that you need new shoes.
    (This suggestion does not have anything to do with the PM you sent me.)

18. yanka

yanka New Member

I think feet are more actively involved when you're really working on rolling/pushing/keeping toes in contact with the floor at all times/etc as opposed to just going through the motions while dancing choreography.
    It's possible that you may be overdoing something which is leading to soreness (for instance, sometimes when I focus too hard on a particular thing, I end up rolling my foot in or out so that my weight isn't directly over my foot but coming down at a slight angle, which strains the muscles of the foot/leg - easy to tell if your heel caps are getting work out unevenly). More likely than not, though, your feet probably just aren't used to all the new work. I think you'll be ok, especially if you've only been working on this for a brief period of time.
    But what do I know...

19. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Working on putting a mambo choreography together.

Twilight Elena

20. HCMikeC

HCMikeC New Member

Working on a bolero routine for a competition/exhibition on Saturday. There is ALWAYS something to work on..but isn't that the beauty of ballroom? F--- yeah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.