lessons: what are you working on?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Medira

Medira New Member

Certainly, my dear. :) I'm all yours!

2. Medira

Medira New Member

I think I understand what you're saying...it sounds like a body position one would reach when setting for a back dive off of a platform. For clarification purposes, are you talking about contraction in the lower abs, upper portion, or uniformly throughout?

I'll definitely keep that as an added side-note. Thanks Chris. :)

3. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I'm working primarily on Mambo these days... Its always been my least favorite and that means its been highly neglected... My teacher recently described my Mambo as "International Mambo, which as you know isn't a dance." Very true, very sad.... Kinda weird as my other Rhythm dances aren't corrupted by international....

4. alemana

alemana New Member

hah! funny teacher! :)

5. alemana

alemana New Member

but a very good point.

6. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Working on everything. I have an exam coming up in a week.

T_E

7. alemana

alemana New Member

working on making my dancing more three-dimensional. i've made a lot of progress in the past few weeks - my hips will tell you so loudly if you ask - but getting the ribs to move has been another story.

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

What's interesting to me about this is, I think I'm like most guys in that I always assumed that the hip movement just comes naturally to women. But I'm starting to realize that it's a never-endling lesson for all dancers.

9. alemana

alemana New Member

it's probably fair to say women are less inhibited about moving their hips in general than men, but the proper latin technique is so incredibly difficult that working on it is a "forever, every day" kind of task.

in any case most beginners learn to "move their hips," and i'm now at the stage where i must do it more properly, motoring it from my core, not from my hips per se.

hard.

10. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

I'm with you, alemana. My pro just decided that we need to work on getting me to use my upper body/ribs more. My hip motion's great (according to him), but my upper body? Not so much.

And my ribs are now sore from a lesson 2 days ago.

11. yanka

yanka New Member

Funny. I seem to have just started working on the exact same thing.

12. alemana

alemana New Member

my ribs feel fused. i need to unfuse them.

13. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

that statement amuses me..... :lol:

in any case.... I hope you manage to unfuse them...

14. alemana

alemana New Member

i'm like the tin man from the waist up. seriously.

15. alemana

alemana New Member

maybe i just need some oil.

16. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

just keep it off the floor, please ;-)

17. Laura

Laura New Member

Umm, right now we're mostly working on choreography. We've got 2 walls of Waltz, 2 of Foxtrot, and 2 of Tango so far this week. We'll probably do half the Quickstep tomorrow.

After that it's all about initiation, activation, follow-through, control when appropriate, surrender when appropriate, and expanding the range of motion.

18. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Wait a sec: Laura, are you making a comeback already?! If so, yeay!!

19. Laura

Laura New Member

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to pick up on that. Not very long, it seems! I don't want to digress on this thread so I'll report elsewhere. :)

20. alemana

alemana New Member

Thank You Baby Jesus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.