lessons: what are you working on?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

So happy you are back :)
  2. Laura

Laura New Member

Stop digressing! :)
  3. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

4. alemana

alemana New Member

something happened a lesson ago that really gave me pause.

i've been posting that we're mostly working on basic movement. to that end, i have some drills that we put together that are all danced in open position. between that and not working on our choreography, we haven't been dancing together that much, and not working on connection.

but last lesson we were in closed hold doing a rumba basic to warm up. casual. since my basic technique is radically improved now, a LOT more was happening between us - i couldn't feel the body of my lead when i wasn't settling into my own hip, when i wasn't keeping my own core tight, etc. but now i'm doing all that.

and i like, totally got it. like, fireworks, apples falling from trees, bells, whistles, a train careening down a track with no brakes, dawn at the beach when the sun explodes over the blue horizon and it goes from night to day in a single second.

connection. no more ambiguity, no more guessing. if he moves *that* way, i go here. duh, it's obvious. i could feel every single shift, every pause, every single tendon and sinew and muscle and his intention was clear to me and

i followed.
  5. alemana

alemana New Member

i stepped away and blinked. several moments later i think i exhaled. i mean i think i exhaled after holding my breath my whole life.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

being centered over moving foot, dropping before stepping...keeping my arms forward...and my hips...what else?...dunno....#$%%^^*found it all really maddening today, and last friday as well...need to have a sports pysch session with self before tomorrow....
  7. dgcasey

dgcasey New Member

Working towards a studio showcase on the 29th. My partner and I are going to do a waltz to The Magic of Love by Russell Watson and Lionel Richie. Should be interesting.
  8. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I skipped last week (as I usually do post-comp) and I honestly don't feel like going in this week either. Must be the weather...
  9. Laura

Laura New Member

Got another wall of Waltz today (so that makes three) and two more of Quickstep (so that makes four, but I think we need six or eight 'cause they go by so fast and it looks stupid to do scatters too much). Technically, I have finally, after all these years, learned how to come back to closed properly after being in promenade in the swinging dances. Something so simple, and yet.... Oh, and my same-foot lunge is now actually working.
  10. yanka

yanka New Member

I keep wondering whether we're the same person...

I spent the past 3 weeks essentially practicing technique and other such stuff on my own since my partner was more or less unavailable. Our last few practices went tremendously better in the exact way you described...
    makes me wonder.
  11. alemana

alemana New Member

12. alemana

alemana New Member

now we're working a little more on cha-cha, on the lockstep specifically, at which i roundly completely stink.
  13. yanka

yanka New Member

I can't lock backwards. I'm not an ambi-locker.
  14. mamboqueen

I think I might lock better backwards. My instructor has taught me to "lead with the boob" and the hip will follow. Took over a whole year to get this gem!
  15. yanka

yanka New Member

I used to think that. Now, it just feels funny. Maybe I've overdone it (yeah, right).
    Seriously though, it's the whole going-backwards-so-you-don't-transfer-weight-immediately-the-way-you-would-going-forwards + quick lock in the middle. My brain can only process so much...maybe that's the problem. It seems to work fine when I don't think so damn much about it!
  16. mamboqueen

Exactly. Which is why my rumba is my weakest dance...too much time to think!
  17. Laura

Laura New Member

Finished the Waltz and Foxtrot, almost done with the Tango (like 1/2 of a short wall left), still have to do two more walls of Quickstep (for a grand total of six). No more lessons until Monday, though. We'll probably finish the Tango and Quickstep...and then the real work begins: actually bringing the dancing out of the patterns. I've got about three months....
  18. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Today's lesson was more on de-internationalifiying my mambo; I think I'm making some progress, but its still got a long way to go. At least I don't dread mambo lessons, so that might help with making progress as I'll practice it more...
    Monday's lesson was more choreography for a bolero showcase. Feeling like I've bitten off maybe a little too much -- Check-out/medal test in May, showcase in June, competition with new material in August.
  19. Shipik

Shipik New Member

Hello,

maybe someone said this already. I didn't read all 14 pages of a discussion but here is what I want to say:

1. I will ask your teacher, why he didn't do basic with you before on regular base. Because, if you really want to be a good competitive dancer - you have to practice basic steps as much as possible (and you got this right - if you can do it by yourself - perfect, just make sure that your teacher is checking your practice sometimes. It is very easy to start doing that wrong way).

2. In addition to basics - you have to improve your energy level, your understanding of every dance. You have to understand WHY you are doing certain elements the way you've been thought. If you can get them into your body and your head - then your teacher shoumd find the way to explain them to you. Your style of dancing depends a lot on your understanding. If you just dance your choreography over and over again -you are waisting your time. LOGIC is important.

3. When you have LOGIC - then you can put your personality on top of it. Think about it this way: LOGIC is a skeleton of your body/dance and you STYLE/PERSONALITY is actual body (including muscles, your look, your beauty).

And you have be trained separatly on all those points. Your teacher should know all of these.

Let me know if you have any questions about what I just said.:)
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sounds totally like my pro...who constantly rminds me that all of my passion for the dance will be helpful later but NOT NOW...that each piece and we do this at every lesson and every practice...needs to be assessed and evaluated as we do it for how it feels in the body, so that it can be replicated...that practice and lessons which I have in abundance have a limit it that is not the approach...basically, lets slow this whole thing down and make sure that each minute element is being executed at the highest level which I am capable of ....hours of torture...pout...when do I get to have my emotions back????stomp
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.