lessons: what are you working on?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oh...and welcome to Df, shipik

2. alemana

alemana New Member

what a tremendous lesson yesterday! after making so much progress on basic movement, we went back to see if we could remember our choreography.

it felt SO completely different to dance it now. i wasn't tottering around like a little girl trying on her mother's heels anymore. even though we were struggling to remember the routines, the dancing we did was of such higher quality.

i'm also way better at understanding what i'm actually doing that's right and wrong, and seeing what looks good and what doesn't. so we immediately saw what could be discarded from the routines and where we could insert some fresh moves.

so addicting. MORE!

3. Laura

Laura New Member

That's great, alemana, and sounds like real progress.

4. alemana

alemana New Member

thanks. i was really excited after.

now i just need this open skin on my toe to heal... i've been using my foot in the wrong position and got a nasty callous-cum-blister to chastise me. ow.

5. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm suffering through really sore and achey feet this week. Between the skating, going to the gym, and all the dancing, I'm waking up with very stiff feet. It will pass as I get stronger, but right now I could really use a foot massage and it's not even 9am.

6. redhead

redhead New Member

I had that and several layers athletic tape really helped, with some non-sticky padding right on the blister.
    Hope it heals soon

7. alemana

alemana New Member

i might have to resort to that, thank you. i'm trying to use the pain to train myself how to hold my foot correctly. hardee har.

laura - that sounds excruciating. i just came from pilates and i bought two little hard balls to use to self-massage my feet with.thinking of breaking them out here at my desk.

8. Laura

Laura New Member

I gave myself a foot massage and put on warm slippers (the body heat build-up helps with the flexibilty) and I'm feeling much better now. Compared to blisters, it's nothing!

9. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Working on a dip pulled a muscle in my thigh, but on the other leg, I don't know what I've done to my ankle to make it throb.

We're really butchering quickstep, and instead of calling our cha-cha "alemana-doublespin-hockeystick-fan" such, we call it "hell in a handbag". Just has more of a ring to it.

10. Shipik

Shipik New Member

Thank you for your welcome. I'll try to help with whatever I can.

11. Shipik

Shipik New Member

I didn't say that you have to do only technique (re-read my 2nd point). And, to be honest, you don't have to go through every step in that many details: there are some basic principles (weigth change, preparation part, etc.) that can take care of 80% of your dancing. And there are different theories to boost your emotional level and to understand the principles of interpretation of every dance.

Of course, you have to have some on the lesson as well by doing something that you like (not necessary what you've just learned).

If I confused you - let me know.

12. fascination

nah you didnt confuse me...and again, welcome

13. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

I had an awesome lesson yesterday. We added two new patterns to my tango using fallaways, viennese crosses, contrachecks, whiplashes, new lines, etc. In waltz we worked on a new pattern w/a contra check and ronde and something else I can't remember. We also touched up on a scatter chasse pattern in quickstep (I managed to hit one ankle with the heel of the other and now its kind of scraped, bruised and swollen). It was a particularly excellent lesson since my teacher instead of giving me his usual good, but.... I just got a good. It was so satisfying to hear that! My teacher is very challenging (he even tells his wife/partner when they practice that she's being lazy- lol!) His wife is also very tough on me and also said I am doing great. My friend was also visiting, so I practiced for 3hrs after my lesson with him. I'm kind of sore- lol!

14. fascination

i actually learned how to just turn my dooggone head when going to promenade...lol...as opposed to dumping my right shoulder and 8000 other things....one of those lessons you pay for a hundred times and then you could slap yourself when you finally get it...it was a good lesson yesterday...rolling eyes...after the lesson...er...not so much

15. saludas

saludas New Member

Our coach used to show us a movement and then offhandedly say "That cost me $5,000; and that was at prices from 15 years ago."

16. fascination

am sure I have dropped that on the spin turn in just one year...and yep, I hear that alot from coaches

17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Arrrgh! You don't know how hard I have had to work to get the hang of turning to promenade. And if you're the leader, all you have to do is just not turn your darn head, but it's taken me forever to get my neck isolated from my torso in that situation! For ages I've been letting my head go with the torso, and then having to jerk it back... it's like the old saying about the person who persists in doing something wrong even though doing it right would be easier.

Umm... anything shareable? Or do we not want to know? :confused:

18. fascination

nah, just a little spat:rolleyes:

19. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

20. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Got the flu. Am all sneezy and snotty, but I just finished with my exams. Lemme copy what I PMed to a fellow DFer... (because I am too bored to rewrite the whole thing)

T_E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.