Life is Hard Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by TinyDancer109, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

@Flash: :cheers:
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

FD...glad to hear about your dad...
  3. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

You can only try to be genuine and expect others to do the same especially when asked direct questions. Granted, I hid the fact that I was homeless from all but two people during that time and now a total of four know. But did anyone come out and ask me if I was homeless? Nobody would have guessed it.
  4. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Well I hope things sort themselves out in the new year with living arrangements/job. Do worry about you...
  5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yeah, WW, wishing you all the best in 2011!
  6. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

That's great news to hear about your dad, FD! :D

My dad is doing ok too... got most of the vacuum tubes taken off of his wounds and was even given the green light to go to a family party this past weekend (my aunt and uncle's 50th anniversary vow renewal and party - it was a very nice event).

My kitty is still vomitting about every other day, but her spirits are doing well and she is acting pretty normal. I'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow night to see if the chemo has helped.
  7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, TD. *crossing fingers for kitty*
  8. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

My dad passed away in October and I have relocated back here to be of assistance to my mom. I visit with her almost every day and while she seems to be doing OK, I have one concern; that being the ever present glass of wine she has just about every time I visit. She has always enjoyed her wine so I never thought anything of it previously, but with what she is going through and having to spend these holidays without him; they were married for 57 years, I'm worried that it could escalate.

Me, I'm doing OK, just the way my dad would have wanted it.
  9. pygmalion

Hugs SF. To you and your Mom.

Do you have anything special planned for the two of you over the holidays? This might be a good time to start some new traditions, just for you. Of course, it'll be hard to figure out how she feels about that. Maybe she'll want to maintain the old traditions, instead. *sigh*

I can relate to how you might feel. Even though both of my parents are still living, they have been married 62 years and I can't imagine either one of them without the other. I don't think they can, either. *sigh*
  10. Spitfire

We will spend Christmas together. She is going to cook dinner.

And maybe my concerns are unwarranted; she shows no visible signs of having had too much in either her speech or gait and her mood is stable, but given what she is going through it does worry me.
  11. fascination

a very real and very concern...but not just yet...give her a few more months...it is still very early...if you notice a continued up-tick continuing until then, then it is appropriate to mention it...I do think however, that if she doesn't know that it is a depressant, it is wise for her to be made aware...but alot of folks in the beginning months have trouble sleeping and sleep is important...still, your concern is valid...it is not a good replacement for other coping mechanisms and it may be important to ask her what ELSE she does to lessen her pain or distract herself...that would be important to know
  12. pygmalion

Yeah. I can understand that. *hug*
  13. Spitfire

Ok, I have asked her if she is sleeping Ok and she tells me that she is. She does get together with some friends for a meal every week. And as I say I visit her almost every day. She sticks to her routine of grocery shopping and other errands and on the surface she does not appear to be depressed. She says she actually likes being alone. I have done some tasks for her like painting and cleaning up in the back yard and when I visit I check to see if there are things that need to be done. When she is at home she likes to read and watch television. I want to think that these are the good signs.
  14. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

I hope the holidays go as smoothly and peacefully as possible for you and your family, spitfire. I'll be sending healing thoughts and prayers your way.

and thanks, pyg!
  15. fascination

my father and I both became overly reliant on booze after my mom died...it made things worse...I truly appreciate your concern...I do not think my dad is totally free of it yet either...it is so sad, the unintended secondary ripple of loss...it is so hard to watch and judge another person's wellnessbut alot of it is about HOW you voice the concern and when...my very best wishes
  16. Spitfire

This is why I want to keep a close watch. Also a concern is health; now, she is in very good health at her age. She is 78. However, my dad was as well until he had his stroke which killed him. What is a concern here is if something should happen to her and she is unable to call for help; this I have discussed with her and want to suggest to her that maybe she get of those devices for just such an emergency.
  17. fascination

one of the hardest parts of mom being gone was driving away from dad knowing he would be walking back into that lonely house..perhaps with her is you share that it would be helpful for your own piece of mind to know those various precautions were in place...
  18. pygmalion

I hope you're wrong, too, but I doubt it. He was a schmuck who left her with a high school education, no work experience outside the home, and three kids within months after their fourth child passed away.

The burden he gave her is completely mind-boggling, but she overcame and is doing just fine,

I doubt that he'll have the courage, even now, to look her in the eye and take responsibility. A pity -- for him. She's been at peace for quite some time, but, apparently, he hasn't yet made peace with himself. *shrug*
  19. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

After a bad incident with one of my grandmothers, now she and my grandfather (and my other grandmother) have Medic Alert bracelets or whatever they're called. They have been used, for very valid reasons, and probably saved one of my grandmother's lives. I cannot reccommend them highly enough, especially since none of the three should be driving...at all...ever. It was well worth the money that my parents/aunts/uncles spent to buy the systems...and my grandparents appreciate the security.

Seriously. Cannot reccommend them enough.
  20. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Well, not sure if life got harder or something... treatment my dad is on has been discontinued as of this week by the American maker... says there are too many complications/deaths caused with it being so toxic.... so back to square one now... going to have a scan to see how this treatment has gone then onto something else!