Life is Hard Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by TinyDancer109, Dec 6, 2010.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm taking my cat to the vet once they open up. I came home yesterday and there was clearly something wrong with one of his legs. He ate a bit and wasn't vocalizing any distress, so I went along with what I read on the internet about how it might be a sprain and how it wouldn't be a terrible thing to wait until morning rather than making an emergency visit to the vet. Little dude is not improving at all though. Instead, he seems to be struggling to stand up at all now. I adopted him as an adult, so I don't know exactly how old he is. But it should be somewhere in the 15-17 years old range. I'm terribly worried about him.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

aw jude...sorry to hear it
  3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

The good news is that his leg actually seems to be ok. The bad news is that the vet is pretty sure he had a stroke yesterday. She can't tell for certain without an MRI, but he was showing definite signs of neurological damage. On the plus side, neither of his hind legs were paralyzed (that, apparently, would have been a really bad thing) and his pupil response was normal. She's seemed fairly optimistic that he'll bounce back from this episode reasonably well. But he apparently developed a heart murmur somewhere along the way and may be predisposed towards this sort of thing. She considered it something to talk about more in the future. In the short run, trying to get him back to something resembling normal is the larger concern.
  4. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Oh, Jude, that's frightening. I'm glad to hear that the vet is optimistic, though. I'm sending healing thoughts kitty's way!
    raindance and SwayWithMe like this.
  5. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Cats tend to recover from strokes amazingly well. Hoping for the best for your kitty. Several of my cats had/have heart murmurs also.
  6. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about kitty's health, Jude. It's so scary when they get sick like that, especially as they don't normally vocalize pain. It's not always easy to tell when something is wrong. Here's hoping for kitty's speedy recovery!
    fascination, Sania and raindance like this.
  7. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

This past weeks full moon and Friday the 13th has been tough. A friendship that was barely hanging on, now seems it has to end and it makes me sad. But it's become so toxic that I can't keep it up any longer. Still sad.
  8. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

When it gets to that point, you're better off not hauling it around with you all the time. You'll feel bad, there might be some fallout, but you'll just somehow feel free.
  9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, sbrnsmith. But yes, sometimes it's better to let it go. I take it you and this other person used to be good friends... without going into too much detail, what changed?
  10. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

We've been good friends for several years. A couple of years ago she went thru a tough time with her husband cheating on her. I was there for her while she picked up the pieces. They went for counseling and say they are now stronger than ever. In that process, she found Christianity and began preaching it to me and became very critical of everything I did or did not do. We tried talking things over, but I don't believe she can really see what she's doing. It's become toxic and stressful. We never have fun any more and I just feel she's changed so much that she's not the same person. I don't feel she's ever there for me. It totally sucks, but I know there is nothing I can do. It's still very hard though.
  11. fascination

based on that, I would imagine that the two of you are in very different spaces right now and that you simply cannot be what you once were....I empathize...I have had that happen...sometimes things that weren't deal breakers before become larger issues as people grow in different directions....I have a friend who has become very rigid in her social views to the point that she can neither spare me from hearing them or respect the fact that those views hurt people that I love....shrug...it became untenable...it is sad......an yet, it makes sense and is probably for the best....my condolences
  12. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

13. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I brought this up earlier, a few years back. My mother has been drinking a lot ever since my dad passed away three and a half years ago. I became less concerned about it as time went on, but upon hearing that relatives and neighbors have noticed things I have become concerned again. There's not much doubt that she is still grieving the loss of dad though on the surface she does not reveal that.
  14. fascination

sorry to hear this spitfire....my empathy....I struggled with drinking away thhe pain for a few years after my mom died...and I don't think my dad will ever scale back on self-medicating....it's a tough thing to navigate
  15. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Perhaps help her with a councellor Spitfire, if you could go and visit one with her? Sorry not to be sending a PM on this one. Just a suggestion.
  16. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

My uncle passed away unexpectedly this weekend. Just randomly did not wake up, and will not meet his newest grandchild that will arrive today.

Feeling sad, and worried about my dad (his brother) and my cousins... and missing him, but feeling a little guilty for that as I am (was?) just his niece, not his daughter or sibling... basically, I'm a bit of a mess about this, on top of everything else that's been going on. I just want to go back to bed.
  17. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Sending hugs and prayers your way.
    chomsky and FancyFeet like this.
  18. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss. :(
    FancyFeet likes this.
  19. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Sending internet hugs
  20. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Learned this morning that my great uncle passed away late last night. I have not seen him in years, as he moved back to Alaska. I am glad that he is no longer suffering of cancer, but I will miss him dearly. :(