Life is Hard Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by TinyDancer109, Dec 6, 2010.

1. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

@ TD, hope your dads treatment goes OK. He needs to watch his weight as if he becomes ill with the chemo he'll need as much energy as he can get :( Mine didn't eat for a week due to the side effects of his treatment.

Not sure if they sell them over there but look out for Nestle Build up shakes, they're pretty good with a bit of ice cream (that's what my dad's been having - at hospital (that's what they prescribed when he lost a lot of weight) and now home)
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

tiny...it is important that a patient be able to feel some control over their own circumstances...while the thicker liquids are easier to process, there is some evidence to support your dad's notions on sugar though it is probably not significant, I can't blame him for treating it that way...perhaps something like cottage cheese or soups will appeal to him more...

and I am sorry about your kitty...it does not sound good...I will hope that she is not in pain so that you are not forced to put her out of it...
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. When my Dad was going through treatments, he got heavily into juicing. I have no idea if there's any real scientific merit behind juicing, but juicing made my Dad feel like he was doing something to fight the cancer. So juicing it was. *shrug*
  4. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Thanks, FD. they recommended milkshakes too, but I will have to look that particular one up.

yes, this is my biggest fear right now.

Pyg, what do you mean by juicing?
  5. pygmalion

Drinking large quantities of freshly made, fruit and vegetable juices. Have you ever seen the infomercial for the Jack Lalane (sp?) or the Montel Williams juicing machines? If not, they're probably on youtube.

There is a huge number of people out there who swear by the health benefits of drinking fresh made juices, from clean, as-organic-as-possible mostly veggies, but fruit is allowed.

My Dad swears that it made him feel better, and he juices (although not as religiously) to this day.

If sami were around, I'm sure she could add in some online references. I don't have any links, but I'll tell you what. My Dad can seriously down some celery and carrot juice. Gross-looking, but not bad tasting.
  6. TinyDancer109

wow, no i have never heard of that! (i have heard of making juice out of fresh veggies/fruit, but not that lots of people swear by it). thanks.
  7. pygmalion

:google: it. :cool: I just did. I used the search terms "juicing cancer treatment" and got more links than I could possibly read through. It's pretty widely known. But I have no idea about the science behind it. *shrug*

What I do know is that juicing gave my Dad something specific that he could do to feel like he was fighting back. It might have been the feeling of empowerment, as much as or even more than the juicing, that helped him.

Who knows? *shrug*
  8. fascination

9. TinyDancer109

at least your father was doing something that could only help, not hurt, his situation. my dad is a terrible patient - he often outright ignores the doc's instructions becaus he thinks he knows better than they. and will take supplements without checking with the doc to make sure they wont interfere with meds.

it's a very frustrating situation for the rest of us.
  10. pygmalion

Yep. I'm sorry. :-(
  11. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Thank you everyone for sharing... I've been struggling with some things recently, but reading this thread has made me feel less alone. I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts.
  12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

ireniecat, Not one of us is alone: We all struggle with something. And our feelings were not invented by us: millions of other people feel the same things. And countless others have felt them before us. In this way, we are tied to all humankind...

BTW: *hugs*
  13. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

14. TinyDancer109

hope you find peace ireniecat!

My uncle had a seizure last night and is in ICU... doing better but still out of it... he has a brain tumor but we arent sure where the seizures are coming from. my poor aunt is beside herself. i hope he will be well enough to be home for christmas (they were suppose to come to my grandma's house christmas eve, but not sure if that will happen).

Dad is the same. Optimistic as ever. I don't know how he does it.

Diamond seems to be having an easier time using the litter box... granted, it's not always in the litter box... smelled a special christmas present in my room at 2:30 am last night... and strangely, i was happy to receive it (and get up and clean it). lol
  15. fascination

TD seizures are a very common consequence of brain tumors...that will likely continue without a surgery to remove the tumor, if that is even possible...i am so sorry you have so much on your plate
  16. TinyDancer109

thanks for everything fasc.
  17. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

TinyDancer, flashdance, Katherine, j_alexandra: I hope the holidays contain some joy for you and your loved ones. Best wishes and hopes for progress in the new year.
  18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yes, I wholeheartedly wish to impart such heartfelt sentiments to you all, too, in 2011...
  19. pygmalion

Yes to this. :-D

And the same wish to the folks who may be watching but who have burdens that they can't share. :cool:
  20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Can't answer for TD/FD/K, but I appreciate the thought deeply, thank you for it, and am sure 2011 will be far, far better.