Life is Hard Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by TinyDancer109, Dec 6, 2010.

1. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

I appreciate it too.

My father is going for some kind of cardiac test to determine if he's well enough for the bone marrow transplant this week, so keep your fingers crossed. The holiday was quiet otherwise. We had our sad little fake tree (it was a charlie brown tree in the worst way, but we found out we had to get a fake one kind of late and we were on a limited budget) but my sister and I bought pine candles to try to make it seem more chrismassy. Really the best thing was remembering how sick my brother was this time last year and seeing how much better he feels now.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hugs and prayers coming your way. Will be thinking of your Dad, your family and you of course.

3. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

thanks to all. the holidays were very nice... other than having to take grandma to the hospital on christmas eve... but she was released in time for us to make it to midnight mass. Christmas went off without a hitch though.

4. pygmalion

Please check in whenever you can, folks. :)

5. TinyDancer109

hi pyg.

My dad has a doc appt today and then he starts chemo on thurs... and fri... and sat. At least the vacuum pack is off his wound and he is healed now. But the leg with the melanoma is very swollen. We are all a bit nervous for him to start chemo, but i guess we have to wait and see how he handles it.

btw, my dad has now bought a juicer. and started juicing, especially lemons (based on advice from a friend). lol.

Diamond seems slightly better since we have been giving her supplements for her immune system but she still has weak back legs from her diabetes and she has diarrhea. We have to give the poor baby a bath about every other day - which is scary since we dont want her to get sick... i normally blow dry her a bit then wrap her in a towel and hold her nice and tight in bed with me under the covers, with the humidifier on. she seems happy there since she purrs and falls asleep.

My uncle seems to be doing better too but he is still in the hospital. Grandma is the same.

I am ready to start 2011. Whether it's in my favor or not, I think a lot will be resolved. But, in a strange way, that alone is kind of a relief.

6. TinyDancer109

oh, and thanks for the support. *hug*

7. pygmalion

Anytime. :friend:

Glad to hear about the juicing. No idea what good, if any, it does, physically. But it did give my Dad something concrete to do. That seemed to help him a lot emotionally.

Hugs to Diamond, Uncle and Grandma.

I'll keep you, your family and especially your Dad in my thoughts and prayers later this week. :)

8. TinyDancer109

Thanks pyg! hope all is well with you and your family.

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

TD, it's good to know that there has been some progress with these issues. I wish you good things--only good things--in 2011...

10. TinyDancer109

Thanks Ray.

11. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

Unfortunate check-in: my dad fell down a set of steps in front of his lawyer's office today. AFAIK no concussion, but they're observing him at the hospital still.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sorry to hear that katherine

13. pygmalion

OMG! Do you know what caused the fall?

14. TinyDancer109

So sorry to hear that katherine! Hope he has a speedy recovery wig no complications. Hugs

Dad goes for chemo tomorrow so I will check in then

Diamonds doc says she is not in pain or suffering other than the occasional vomitting whicch is a relief

15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Poor guy, having fallen down a few stairs in my past, it's not fun! :(
    But it could make for some fun stories. After all, who do you get to represent you when you want to sue your lawyer for a slip and fall? :D

16. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

He's got a big scrape on the back of his head and stuff, and he knocked himself out when he fell. I'm pretty sure he isn't going to sue the lawyer though, since it was pretty much his own fault. He isn't very steady on his feet but is too stubborn to use a cane or wheelchair.

17. fascination

ya can't really successfully sue unless you can prove a lack of reasonable duty of care anyhow...like untreated icy sidewalk or whatever

18. fascination

this is truly a huge problem with sick people...particularly men...they are too proud to accept help and don't realize that doing certain things may actually endanger others as well...like when your wife who is 50 pounds lighter has to wrench her back trying to pick you up...or insisting on driving and then passing out at the wheel...not saying your dad would do that katherin...but it happens all the time ..very sad, b/c while no one wants to take away a sick person's righ to self determine there becomes a point in time when it isn't just about them

19. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

Yeah the doctor overruled him about driving but he's supposed to be walking around to help with his general fitness. Even so sick, he's still easily a hundred pounds heavier than my mother or me and I worry what will happen if he falls again.

20. fascination

yep...it is very tough...most men tend to define themselves by what they can do...(women tend to define themselves by their relationships)....they don't take restrictions well...but when the safety of others becomes an issue they have to come to terms with that