list of dance books

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by liz, Feb 5, 2009.

1. reb

reb Active Member

2. JJ

JJ Member

Has anyone read either of these books?

"From Ballroom to Bottom Line... in Business and in Life"
    by Cher Holton, Bil Holton, 2008

"Ballroom Dancing Is Not for Sissies: An R-Rated Guide for Partnership"
    by Elizabeth A. Seagull, Arthur A. Seagull, 2001

3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I liked it while I was reading it, but it went in one eye and out the other. I found little in it that was really groundbreaking, and the basic premise was so simple -- not easy, but simple, like so many things -- that it seemed like the book spent a lot of time fleshing out something that didn't need to be said over and over. YMMV.

4. liz

liz New Member

I have read "from ballroom to bottom line,,, I liked it.

5. Chiron

Chiron New Member

That is pretty much exactly what I thought of it. I though it was good when I read it. I didn't find too much applicable to dance in it. You should trust your instincting most the time because your subconscious becomes aware of things faster that your conscious was the take home message.

6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Love it....got the cliff notes!

7. Dance808

Dance808 Member

The section I found most interesting and applicable to dance was the discussion of doctors and determining who would be sued for malpractice. Basically you could tell with a short video clip (no sound) of a doctor visit which one was likely to be sued for malpractice based on attentiveness to patient, body language, eye contact etc.

What it made me think of are those couples that are great dancers but lack that "something" ... the something being presence in the dance (or awareness and attentiveness to each other). A good reminder of a "skill" not easily practiced.

8. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I'm currently reading Psychology of Dance by Jim Taylor and Ceci Taylor.

It talks about motivation, self-confidence, intensity, burnout, etc and how to manage all of those things. It's a bit dry and academic and meant as a teaching resource. Also, the examples are mostly ballet-related. But it was highly recommended by my coach, so I'm plowing through :)

I think the real value in this book is that it shows you through examples how to help your students reach their dancing potential by addressing all the various issues. And at the same time, of course, I'm seeing what I can be doing for myself!

9. CANI

CANI Active Member

While not specifically a dance book, I recommend Mindfulness by Ellen J. Langer, a Professor of Psychology at Harvard. The book is quite a quick read, although written in an academic manner.

It was quite thought-provoking. Interesting discussion about how one mentally thinks about things can set artificial limits on your physical capabilities, how a different mindset can give you, in an instant essentially, physical capabilities that you had 10-20 years prior, how much of what is thought of physical fatigue (the thought of I-just-can’t-go-on) is highly influenced, and can be overcome with a different mental approach. And each example or point was ‘backed’ by the results of a scientific experiment.

Truth be told, the concepts in this book were mostly ones I’d read of before, but it was presented in such a different way and with such interesting examples and experiments, that I was deeply engrossed and would highly recommend it if you enjoy reading.

Was very interesting and applicable to dance and one’s whole approach to life.

10. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I'm a nerd and when I'm really interested in something I read every book and article I can find on the subject. And for example, I have half a dozen books on marathon training. I have yet to run a 5K. Haha. Sometimes I wonder if I spend too much time learning or preparing instead of doing.

11. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Hi, I'm looking for a ballroom dance coffee table book that was printed about 10-15 years ago. If anyone remembers that name of the book or knows where I can find it, please PM me.

Thanks

12. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

I have one or two coffee table books similar. Do you remember the title?

13. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Hi DancingMommy, I'm trying to find the name, so if you please send me the names of the two books you have I'll see if I can't get a copy. Thanks
    d

14. CANI

CANI Active Member

I just finished Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell and thought it was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It was an eye-opener in many ways and I would recommend it to anyone as I think it has broad applicability to so much of our interactions with our fellow humans.

I also wanted to add that I actually think it is highly relevant to ballroom dancers -- most particularly to those who compete. As I was trying to formalize my thoughts on this, I happened to read Michael Mead's review, from SDsalsaguy's post, and I think he summarized the application for ballroom dancers very nicely.

Definitely a must-read in my opinion.

15. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Member

I really enjoyed Janet Carlson's book Quick, Before the Music Stops. I have tried giving other autobiographical dance memoirs a chance, but they are typically very superficial and saccharine, and they all say the same thing. I found Carlson's book very deep and engaging; I couldn't put it down.

Since Argentine tango has been brought up a few times, I also really enjoyed The Meaning of Tango (Christine Denniston) and Long After Midnight at the Niño Bien (Brian Winter). Denniston explores the history and meaning of the tango, while Winter's book is a memoir and almost reads like a novel.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could be really into ballroom or social dance without also being really into music, so one book that I absolutely loved was The Music Lesson: A Spiritual Search for Growth Through Music, by Victor Wooten. Reading it from a dancer's perspective, I found it very insightful on the topics of musicality, improvisation, technique, and energy.

16. IfMusicBe

IfMusicBe New Member

Could you be thinking of Championship Ballroom Dancing (1994) edited by Frank Regan? I believe he has copies for direct sale. There are also some used copies on Amazon.

17. CANI

CANI Active Member

I just finished It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life by Lance Armstrong with Sally Jenkins. I'm writing this in this thread because this book happens to be in the list of books that SDsalsaguy posted above. Michael Mead does a nice job with the review on that site.

I've had the book for a while but needed to wait until some time had passed from my mother's death through cancer to be ready to read about his cancer journey. I enjoyed the book and recommend it. The things that particularly struck me were the depth of the friendships he has developed and how his friends have supported him throughout; how human his story is -- it definitely is not written in the "I'm a hero" mode; several examples of proving "It can't be done" is incorrect and that "It CAN be done"; and I particularly appreciated his recognition, and openness in discussing, the mental and 'heart' aspects that need to be given attention after (and during) the course of a 'physical' illness.

If you are looking to read an inspirational story from a non-dancer for what that might bring to you in your approach to practices and to mental preparation, I think this is a good book. I would also recommend -- in fact, in some ways more so -- The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin. The movie, Searching for Bobby Fischer, is about Josh's rise in the chess world, but he also became a Tai Chi Chuan Push Hands champion. I read his book a while ago, but there probably isn't a week that goes by that I don't think about two stories in that book -- one he personally observed and the other was his experience in a Tai Chi Chuan Push Hands tournament described at the very end of the book. Truly amazing athlete -- and his character as a human being comes through and is even more inspirational -- lots to learn from this book about life overall, and approaches to dance practice and I'd imagine competitions, although I haven't myself ever competed.

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thanks for sharing...this sounds like a plan as I am headed for a cruise soon and could use some good books

19. style

style New Member

Deep survival by Laurence Gonzales. A book that is researched on why people die or live in survival situations. The reason I bring this up is that there is a chapter on fighter pilots on how they think in severe stress areas. They have hundreds of things to know now or they will die. Like when you are getting ready to dance and you forget your whole routine? Or your mind goes blank? So Laurence writes in a way that anybody can understand and how to fix the blackouts.

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thank you and welcome to df