list of dance books

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by liz, Feb 5, 2009.

1. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

Has anyone read Just One Idea - Ballroom Dancing Analysed by Len Scrivener? Is it worth the £100 -£200 that booksellers are asking?

2. OliveOyle

OliveOyle New Member

Coffee Table Books

I am looking for a good ballroom dancing coffee table book to give as a gift. Does anyone have any ideas that could help me?

3. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Google "Ballroom Icons". This would be an awesome book to give a ballroom enthusiast.

4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Just my opinion.. I think it is the best ever published for " detail " that seldom gets discussed . Its very much written for the academic side of dance, not only technique, but addresses things that novice competitors frequently ask about , and all in very simple terms .

He was, without doubt, one of the only true autodiadacts in the profession.

It also is very theoretical, and much of what he taught and believed in , was in some instances very controversial

It also includes some photos of past Champions in" Pose "and in " flight " .

And even tho I spent many times seeing them dance, plus lectures and lessons, there are still nuggets of info.that are contained therein.

PS...I dont believe this tome would of much value to the non dancer .

5. CANI

CANI Active Member

I’ve found many sections of Dance to Your Maximum: The Competitive Ballroom Dancer’s Workbook by Maximiliaan Winkelhuis to be extremely useful. I wanted to mention this because I have not competed. So, if you think you may be interested, don’t get turned off by the “Competitive” in the title. I think it is good for anyone pursuing ballroom dance passionately, not only those who explore that passion currently through competition.

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that's good to hear. that book has been on my short list for awhile now...

7. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Is a great book. There is just so much there though it is one of these books that one can only read a little and then have to ponder and absorb what you read before picking it up again...

I got mine from a DF member who was selling because she had an extra copy... Yea for DF resources, no UK shipping costs.

I looked around looking for a group or forum discussing this book and could never find such a group. I thought that would of been so great... oh well!

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i believe there is a DF discussion thread on the topic, started a few years back...

9. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

I too am in the midst of reading it and agree it is a great resource (now I need to really begin incorporating the tips). But no kidding about the cost...the book plus shipping was more than a private lesson!

10. CANI

CANI Active Member

I learned of the book, The Irvine Legacy by Oliver Wessel-Therhorn, from a good dance friend. I did a search and see that tangotime and vcolfari have written about this book on DF, although I don't think in this thread.

I've only read portions, but had goose-bumps reading what I did read. The love from students for Bill and Bobbie Irvine's teachings, and the absolute love and passion for ballroom dancing comes through so strongly in this book.

The forward is by Marcus and Karen Hilton. William Pino and Alessandra Bucciarelli demonstrate in many photos.

The author has such a nice, funny writing style and it is clear that he has tried very hard to do justice to the teachings of Bill and Bobbie Irvine in passing along that wisdom in this book.

I'm looking forward to telling my dance friend that I enjoyed what I've read from the book. I wanted to add it to the list of dance books we have going in this thread.

11. bluebereft

bluebereft Member

I've read Eric Franklin's Dance to your Maximum, and it was great. What's the difference between that and Conditioning for Dance?

12. Josh

Josh Active Member

Are you sure that's not Maximiliaan Winkelhuis's "Dance to Your Maximum" ?

13. CANI

CANI Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not aware of a book by Eric Franklin by that name. However, I know there are some people on DF who have spoken highly of Eric Franklin and may have read Eric Franklin's Conditioning for Dance, so they may be able to give thoughts on that. I have read (parts) of Maximiliann's book, Dance to Your Maximum, but have not read Franklin's books.

14. CANI

CANI Active Member

I found the beginning of the book very uncomfortable to read because of her descriptions of two people (just my nature, and this being my first 'tell all' book as it were. I was hoping they had someone to hug them if they were upset while reading her book). If I knew this book to be fiction, it wouldn’t have been as noticeable to me. However, if you can get past the beginning, it is a detailed, thoughtful view of life lessons gained through dance. I enjoyed reading about her dance lessons and about the role her dance teachers played not only in teaching actual dance, but also in helping her understand the internal complexities that were preventing her from fully expressing herself through dance. Her preparation for a dance exam was also interesting.

I think this book might be of particular interest to someone just starting to dance ballroom or someone just starting to think about pro-am competitions. There are many very sweet aspects to it, especially her nice relationship with her teacher, her supportive husband and her appreciation for all of the competition organizers. I think it gave a very welcoming and friendly view of ballroom dance. I would have liked it more had she shared a deeper view of her personal journey and lessons learned.

I’m now reading Just One Idea:Ballroom Dancing analysed by Len Scrivener, recommended by tangotime and The Dancing Years by Bill and Bobbie Irvine, recommended by Warren Dew.

I appreciate piimapoika, tangotime, Warren Dew and Rumbalicious for sharing these book titles and their thoughts about them in this thread. Thank you! My thanks also to libraries – none of these books were in my county’s library system and all came to my hands through interlibrary loans.

15. AMeader

AMeader New Member

Any suggestions regarding where to purchase Dance to Your Maximum?

16. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

dancesport dot uk dot com, books section

17. sounddguy

sounddguy New Member

A very interesting read for the history is the 1914 Modern Dancing by Vernon and Irene Castle. You can find a version of this on Amazon. The reprint is terrible. No effort was made to clean up the OCR. However, with the purchase you can then download a scan of the original book with the pictures.

18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

welcome to DF sounddguy!

19. Yana

Yana Member

Wow, I've really enjoyed this thread! I have a very long book list to read through now since I've never read any of these books. It's going to be a busy summer :)

20. bluebereft

bluebereft Member

oh dear, i made a major booboo! yes i meant max winkelhuis. haha. and after reading franklin's book i do realise that they are very different.