list of dance books

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by liz, Feb 5, 2009.

1. CANI

CANI Active Member

I really enjoyed both of these books. A good portion of Scrivener's book was beyond my current comprehension, however, I still found a lot in it to enjoy, I'm glad I read it and I will read it again in the future.

Bill and Bobbie Irvine's book was my cup of tea in every way. I adore this book...I want to own this book ($500+ is out of my current price-range!!)...it is beautifully written, it is a wonderful book for dance and for life, it touched me on such a level, it covers so many topics we have discussed on DF...I absolutely love this book...and I'm mightily upset that I have to return it to the library!!!:D
  2. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Why would a book be $500?
  3. CANI

CANI Active Member

The book was published in 1970 (before I was born!!!:)) and likely there were only a small number published. Get a small number of anything, and interested collectors (whether book collectors, or ballroom dance history buffs), the price creeps up -- I'm sure there are a number of older books for which the same applies. When you search normal book stores, it says it is out of print and there are no copies -- then you find someone on amazon or some rare bookshop site who has a copy and they can ask a hefty sum for it. I would imagine when it was printed it cost about the same as any other book at the time.
  4. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

On Amazon, there are a couple copies of The Dancing Years for just under $55 right now.
  5. CANI

CANI Active Member

Thanks LindyKeya! That gives me hope that someday soon I may own a copy!! Maybe I was confusing it with the other book in my post -- the one copy of the book of Len Scrivener's work is going for $654 on amazon right now. Wow!
  6. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

Abebooks.com have 4 copies of Irvine's "The Dancing Years". Cheapest is USD 5.50, most expensive USD 324.88. Get in quick for the cheapo one!
  7. CANI

CANI Active Member

Thanks piimapoika! I missed the $5 one -- I would definitely have jumped on that!! :D
  8. Br0nze

Br0nze Member

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Ruud Vermeij's book? I've been looking but cannot find a copy anywhere...
  9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I bought my from dancesport.uk.com if I remember right.
  10. CANI

CANI Active Member

Does anyone recommend Ballroom Dance by Alex Moore or Modern Ballroom Dancing by Victor Silvester? These two are in my library and I was thinking of taking a look, but am interested in your opinions.
  11. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

If you mean Ballroom Dancing by Alex Moore, I like it a lot. The foot diagrams can be helpful. The notes at the end of each figure often have additional information that isn't in The Ballroom Technique. Every once in a while, I revisit the basic technique section at the beginning of the book. Perhaps some day, I'll finally absorb it all. :razz:
  12. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

I was reading The Dancing Years and was surprised to read that before turning professional, Bobbie Irvine competed "in the "Mixed" section, which is one amateur, one professional." I guess she was the first and maybe only pro-am student to go on to win a professional world championship.
  13. CANI

CANI Active Member

Thanks TC! Yes, Ballroom Dancing is the title. I'll will take a look at it - thanks! And, yes, some day I will finally absorb it all as well! (I'm giving myself my whole lifetime, though!!:p)
  14. CANI

CANI Active Member

Yes! I found that fascinating as well.
  15. CANI

CANI Active Member

Dance Anatomy by Jacqui Greene Haas. Published this year, it has over 200 full-color illustrations covering the muscles involved in various dance movements. It does have a lot of terminology from ballet. The author was a professional ballet dancer for the Boston Ballet and other companies. She is now the athletic trainer for the Cincinnati Ballet and treats dancers in physical therapy and postsurgicial rehabilitation.

If you are interested in understanding more about your body as a way of keeping healthy and preventing injuries, I think this book focused specifically for dancers, is interesting compared to regular anatomy books. It does reference jazz and irish dancing and other forms that I've seen thus far, so the intent at least, isn't to be focused solely on ballet.
  16. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Henry Jacques' book is back in print!

www.amazon.com/gp/product/1906830150/ref=ox_ya_os_product

I just ordered mine.

[edited by latingal; deactivated commercial link]
  17. CANI

CANI Active Member

Thank you tangotime and piimapoika for this recommendation. I've just started it and I'm loving it already!!:D
  18. CANI

CANI Active Member

Adding three books to our list of dance books -- all by Kenneth Laws:

Physics and the Art of Dance

Physics of Dance

Physics, Dance and the Pas de Deux

I learned of these books when I came across some older posts by Larinda (If you click on the blue arrow above it should take you to one of those posts).

As an aside, if you do a search on DF on "physics" or "Kenneth Laws" there really are some incredibly interesting posts from Larinda, Steve Pastor and a few others. They piqued my interest to such an extent that I'm looking forward to reading these books even though physics was not one of my favorite subjects!:p

I have Physics and the Art of Dance in my greedy little hands right now and just started it last night. All being well, the other two will soon be on their way to me through interlibrary loans.
  19. liz

liz New Member

are they on amazon? I will have to give them a try.
  20. CANI

CANI Active Member

I haven't tried to buy them. If they aren't on amazon, one of the posters on this thread has suggested abebooks.com as a good place for out of print books. I'm partial to the library, myself. Just picked up The Physics of Dance which came through interlibrary loan today!