list of dance books

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by liz, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Member

Dance Advantage just posted a guest article with some lesser-known dance/culture books. I will definitely have to read some of these!

13 Books on Dance and Culture

2. CANI

CANI Active Member

Great -- thanks for posting! I'm fairly certainly that that International Encyclopedia of Dance is in my library's reference section. I've passed it a few times and always meant to take a peek -- perhaps next time!

(/OT -- I hope your book club on that musicality book was wonderful...I wasn't able to follow along at the time, but I've noted the book (took a quick peek at it and it definitely seems like my cup of tea!), and will read it, along with your blog comments, probably some time this year -- I'll let you know in the thread you started here when I do! Just wanted to say thanks for that as well! BOT)

Joy In Motion likes this.
  3. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin

OreganO and Joy In Motion like this.
  4. Yana

Yana Member

I just finished this book and I really enjoyed it! It's very passionate and very real. Great and quick read.

5. CANI

CANI Active Member

Hey, Yana, thanks so much for sharing!! Glad to hear you enjoyed it! It feels as though it has been forever since I've read a ballroom dance related book -- please do continue to share your thoughts on any others!:D

6. CANI

CANI Active Member

Another book for our list!

The Six Questions: Acting Technique for Dance Performance by Daniel Nagrin. I learned about this book from samina.

I've only read a bit of it and it is a true workbook, however, the first section, "Work on the Self", has enough gems that for that section alone it is worth getting the book from the library.

I will be interested, when I have time, to delve into the exercises and to continue reading the remaining sections of the book.

However, I think the first section speaks to many themes covered on DF, so I didn't want to delay in adding the book to this thread!

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I think I've got all or nearly all of Nagrin's books...he's a delight to read. That book was my first exposure to him, CANI. I found him truly inspired and a...vanguard...in his day. Interesting fella.

8. CANI

CANI Active Member

Very nice -- thank you for sharing!

9. CANI

CANI Active Member

How to Dance Forever: Surviving Against the Odds by Daniel Nagrin

I haven't read the whole thing, but just read a few chapters I enjoyed -- "The Heart-Mind of the Dancer" and "The Survivors Speak" (great info for the "What's Possible" thread -- it is all comments from professional dancers who continued their professional dance careers, with continued success, into their 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s.)

Just wanted to add this book to this thread. The other chapters I haven't read are The Dancer's Day, Diet, Danger, Healers and Treatments, Tricks, etc.

10. CANI

CANI Active Member

Dance with Me: Ballroom Dancing and the Promise of Instant Intimacy by Julia A. Ericksen.

Anyone read this one? Appears to be a new book from November 2011.

Amazon says Julia is a competitive ballroom dancer and it is about her experiences. Doesn't appear to be available yet in my library system (not my local library and not through inter-library loan). Please let us know if you read it!

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I did the photos for this book (with two historical exceptions) and wrote an introduction about photographing ballroom and the images used in the book. Would love to know what anyone thinks if they read it. :)

12. CANI

CANI Active Member

Very cool! Thanks for sharing this! Very exciting for you...will definitely make sure I read this one eventually.

13. CANI

CANI Active Member

The World of Phyllis Haylor and Ballroom Dancing edited by Bryan Allen. I believe I learned of this book in the Ballroom Icons book.

I think those interested in ballroom dancing history might find this of interest. I've only read bits and pieces, but really liked the descriptions of many of the dancers and the development of ballroom dancing. A large part of the book is reprints of articles written by Phyllis Haylor for The Dancing Times.

piimapoika, if you are reading this, I thought of you because the book does contain a number of references to how dance steps came to be.

For example, in the section, "Development of the Left Whisk" she writes "It was Charles Thiebault, that brilliant architect of so many lines in modern Ballroom Dancing - who was teaching with me at the time - who came up with an alternative and I can well remember his suggesting that, taken without rise and fall and with a turn to the left instead of the right, a leftward Whisk action following a basic Whisk "felt rather nice." I too was impressed by the idea and we presented this form of Double Whisk at an Imperial Congress."

I love it. It reminds me of other books I've read from this timeperiod...listening to the dancers describe their experimentation of what felt good and natural and fun...creating the dance movements that we dance today...just brings such a nice picture to mind of what I most love about ballroom dance.

"felt rather nice" Indeed.:D

14. CANI

CANI Active Member

"Dancing Beyond the Physicality" by Massimo Giorgianni
    Interesting so far...His passion comes through.

Some of my favorite quotes so far:

"I strongly believe that every one of us has unlimited abilities."

"When I thought about writing this book, the first thing
    That came to mind was how to help dancers be dancers
    on the inside first..."

"You must visualize the outcome and if you, I repeat, you,
    think it's appropriate...then DO IT."

"Progress is found in the courage to dare, in the courage
    to express what is dictated from inside."

All about the inner thoughts and emotions that shape one's
    dancing...lovely!

JJ and chomsky like this.
  15. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

2 comments...
    While on vacation I decided to read the book by Julia A. Ericksen. While I loved the section that SD wrote the rest of the book I found quite offensive. As a 50 something I do not look for Intimacy from my dance instructors and her examples of the small group of people she interviewed are not at all a good sample to make such broad assumptions.... I went back to read again to make sure I was understanding her POV and still came away pissed!! I suppose it might be good that the book can tap into me and bring out emotion, but the emotion was anger more than anything else.

On to the lighter!!
    I had a wonderful and different coaching session this week-end. The session direction was prompted by a comment I made at the beginning of the session. So the lesson turned into how to how to express in dance what I feel, the artistry of dance. The coach told me that he recommends this book for each of his students to read....called The Artists way. I am quite excited to venture onto this 12 week exploration of myself with this book as a guide...

I appreciate so much after I just spoke for 2 or 3 minutes that the coach new what his job was for our session...
    When after 45 minutes you leave being inspired you know you have been coached by the best.

Attached Files:

CANI likes this.
  16. CANI

CANI Active Member

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron? If so, gorgeous book! I started the 12 weeks ( for an area of art not related to dance) and it was wonderful. Beautiful writing style, lovely quotes throughout. Hope you love it!

17. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

yup, that the one, Cani....

18. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Member

For those of you who enjoy reading about dance history and politics... Has anyone read (or heard anything about) American Allegory: Lindy Hop and the Racial Imagination? It just came out in May of this year, and I'm curious if it might be a good read.

19. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a good "dictionary" type reference book? I can google terms as well as anyone, but I would really love a reliable primary source. Kinda like a music dictionary for ballroom?

Not trying to learn to dance from a book, btw, just want to be able to look stuff up.

20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I like Competing Like a Pro by Jessika Fern. Good book tailored especially for pro am and am competitors. I liked her first book too.