Literally, a large rubber band for stretching?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by kyliekye, Jun 3, 2007.

1. kyliekye

kyliekye New Member

There is this sweet Japanese girl I take class with and she has this amazing big rubber band that she stretches with. It seems to be about 1 1/2" wide and a few feet long(im not sure). She uses it lying on her back and goes to middle splits and has it around her feet and it really looks like it helps. She also puts it on her shoulder and then takes her leg into arabesque and it stretches her in the correct line. There are a bunch more exercises she does with it and it looks really helpful. I was so excited when i saw it and really wanted to get one but when I asked her where she got it she said Germany :(
    Here is a link to the only picture I have ever seen of it with the girl lying on her back: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2005/08/12/GA2005081201282_index_frames.htm?startat=1

If anyone knows the actual name or where I can find this that would be fantastic! =) Thank you !!

2. Pacion

Pacion New Member

For info, the photo with a dancer using the elastic band is on photo #2.

Hope someone knows what you are talking about Kyliekye. Otherwise, some lovely dance photos! :D

3. tj

tj New Member

Just don't take anyone's eye out! :lol: :wink:

4. Angelo

Angelo New Member

You can get bands like this from jumpstretch.com, ironwoody.com, or performbetter.com. Probably from some other places as well

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

h t t p://www. thera-band. com/resistive.html

6. kyliekye

kyliekye New Member

7. Angelo

Angelo New Member

The dancer in the picture you linked to definitely looked like she was using a jumpstretch band. Hers looked like the narrower mini band, but your classmate may have been using the light band since you said it was a bit over an inch wide. I think the light band is a good choice if you primarily will use it for lower body stretching.

8. naturallove

naturallove New Member

I thought of this post when I saw SYTYCD last night! They look so cool! I wonder if anyone could speak to their effectiveness?

9. Angelo

Angelo New Member

What do you want to use them for? Athletic trainers love them for things like shoulder and ankle rehab. Powerlifters and strength coaches love them as a tool for strength development. Since many modern stretching techniques promote a muscular contraction of the muscles in the "stretched" position, the bands are good for providing a source of resistance for the muscles to act against.

10. naturallove

naturallove New Member

I am looking to increase flexibility, particularly in my hips and shoulder/neck area.

11. moore_sydney

moore_sydney New Member

I also am looking for a supplier of the big rubber band thingy. I know they do get them somewhere in europe / germany. The sites posted earlier are not quite it. And it depends on the length of the dancers legs as to what size they need. It's just a bit loop of flat rubber with usually black one side, and a colour on the other. They are fantastic ! ( also can use bicycle inner tubes x 2 - tied together. Just hang around the tour de france and you can pick up some for nothing. I have been looking on the internet for a month to find them. any other sites ? I thought it was energetiks, but can'd find them.

12. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

All of the sports stores near me sell resistance bands - they look like colored surgical tubing with handles but I'd guess they work the same as flat rubber bands. I was given a free flat band at a health fair but it broke pretty easily.

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

some bands are for toning...some are for stretching...important difference...both tasks can be accomplished without a band