Live Green Smoothies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Nov 29, 2006.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I should add one more thing. In terms of taking smoothies on the road, I cannot say enough good things about my Big Bubba insulated mugs. They're 52 ounces, so each one holds a whole pitcher of smoothies. They have little flappy things that lock into place and prevent smoothie from spilling out, in the event that the cups flip over. (I have tested this. 45-minute drive to work with smoothie on its side. None on the car carpet. None.) They're stainless steel outside and BPA-free plastic inside. And the mug is big enough that you can get your whole hand inside, for super easy cleaning, in case you don't finish a smoothie and it starts to ferment and stick to the sides. If you rinse the cup out as soon as you're done, just a plain water rinse is plenty to get the cup clean. Smoothie doesn't stick to the sides, unless you let it sit for quite a while, and even then, a wipe-out with a paper towel or sponge works fine. And the cups are insulated, so they keep things cool for hours. Poifect for my purposes.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i don't do, and wouldn't even if i were competing and training hard, in any sport. but if i ever changed my mind, i would take great care in what kind of protein powder i added. it would likely be a low-heat-treated vegan/hemp product. i did buy such a thing back in 2005, but never found a use for it.

with hemp seeds, goji berries, bee pollen, even a good green/superfood powder at hand... quick'n easy high-protein boosters you can toss into an LGS...there is no reason to use a processed protein powder, IMHO.

my blood sugar is very stable when i'm LGSing -- have never noticed a disconcerting spike in insulin after a smoothie. as compared with a sip or two of a drink with denatured fructose sweetener of some sort... but everyone has to find the right formula for that they need.

my observation is this quickly becomes important if someone is not using a significant amount of fresh greens and also especially if they are adding dairy (which basically takes their "smoothie" out of LGS territory...)

fwiw, your basic LGS proportions sound similar to mine, P.
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i don't think i could walk around straight-faced holding something called "big bubba"... :tongue:
  4. pygmalion

lol! The name does conjure up strange imagery, doesn't it? Here's a picture. Bubba insulated mugs come in a bunch of sizes -- from 12 ounces (I think -- might be 16 ounces) straight up to a gallon "keg." The 52 ounce happens to be called a Big Bubba, and, IMO, is just the right size for a morning's worth of smoothies. :cool: Target has them for $10.99.

[​IMG]
  5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I bought a blender Sunday on sale at Target. I ordered three books on making smoothies from the library.
  6. pygmalion

Awesome! I'm glad you're going to try it. The color can be a bit startling at first; the one I made today was chartreuse. But boy was it yummy. (Spinach, a few strawberries, mango, nectarine and a little watermelon. Yummers.)
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i heart chartreuse...
  8. pygmalion

NEON chartreuse? :shock: :lol:
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my smoothie the other day was beautiful before I blended it...blueberries, kale, banana, and pumpkin....such cool colors...bleded however...well not so lovely looking...excellent taste though
  10. pygmalion

Another good thing about Big Bubba. It conceals the color. Just drink. :-D
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

my fave. mangoes with fresh oj and spinach are awesome...peaches/nectarines only make it neon-y-er. :)
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, that get's into the brown zone. alas...
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

which reminds me of something...

a few years back, i started bringing this gigantic plastic jug-type cup i got some where...won it or something, can't remember. would load it up with LGSs and take to work. ugly-knat thing, not my usual.

guy from work passes by: "damn, you've got the biggest jug i've ever seen." innocently gushed... red-faced within 30 seconds.
  14. pygmalion

lolol! Did I mention that mangoes are cheap here, right now? Neon it is, for this week, at least. :cool:
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

late july and all of august: peak mango season. wowzers. time to drive to little india in jersey city and pick up a case... like custard, that stuff.
  16. pygmalion

Ripe mangoes are SO GOOD. Buy them when they're firm and then wait until there's some give under the skin. Oh my goodness. They are so juicy and sweet!!
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

huh, i never buy them firm unless i know it'll be a few days before i get to them...

i always look for that perfect "give" in a mango. definitely a squeezable fruit. :)
  18. pygmalion

Yep. Perfect.

Oh my goodness. Mangoes and peaches. Buy them the same day and wait until the peaches are overripe/squishy. Peel everything, toss it in a blender and have the best smoothie of your life.
  19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

You all are giving me lots of ideas for my new blender! ;)
  20. pygmalion

Today's smoothie. Berry blend: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries. Spinach. And (this is important, Purr) red apples for sweetness. Even though you'd think they would be, berries really aren't all that sweet, much of the time. I much prefer the taste of this smoothie with apples or red grapes added for sweetness.

Beautiful purple color. :)