Live Green Smoothies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Nov 29, 2006.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh and I forgot to mention, purr. I add water to this smoothie. Sometimes I don't add very much or even any water -- for example, when the smoothie is watermelon based or has lots of cucumber in it. Then I don't need the water. If the smoothie contains mostly fleshly fruit, I add some water.

2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Sounds wonderful.

3. pygmalion

This morning, I tried sami's mango w/orange juice and spinach. Yum! Tonight, it's going to be watermelon with kale -- I found a recipe online. I'm a little skeptical, because kale makes for chewy cmoothies. But heck. I'll try (almost) anything once. :wink:

4. pygmalion

5. pygmalion

I should add that, although I liked the incredible smoothies site and plan to use a lot of the recipes, I wasn't entirely impressed with the fact that many, if not most, of her recipes use bananas as the base fruit. Then, in notes, she'll stress that the smoothie should be considered a meal replacement, not a snack. Well no wonder. If you add a banana to everything, those calories really do add up. A banana has anywhere between 100 - 150 calories. Sheesh. So a lot of her 32 ounce smoothie servings have in the neighborhood of 400 calories. That's a lot of calories, IMHO.

Yes. Bananas DO add to the creamy texture and they do make a smoothie more filling. I just don't think I'll be using bananas as a base fruit too often, since my smoothies are closer to 48 ounces than 32. That's roughly 600 calories each. Zoinks!

6. pygmalion

btw I think I'm going to go with the Blendtec. Based on the link above, they're both great blenders and I'd probably be happy with either one. But there's an optional 96 ounce pitcher for the Blendtec, so I could make a jumbo pitcher full, rather than having to make two batches in the morning. Every little bit of convenience helps, during my morning rush. Now all I have to is choose which model best fits my needs and my budget.

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Bananas - seriously? I'm not that fond of bananas, at least to want to make them the base of anything.

8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Some of the Blendtec mixers I saw online look expensive. I hope you can find a good deal for one.

9. pygmalion

I'll be sure to check in when I find one. :)

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'd recommend adding something else to round out the flavor for that combo, whether berries, cherries, banana...any sweet fruit. try it without first and you'll see why another fruit makes it much better.

thought watermelon with parsley or cilantro is a good combo.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

have never found a cheaper price than at rawguru dot com. reason being, i've been told, is that online stores are limited in how low a price they can advertise. a purveyor would have to offer a cheaper price offline...which no search results will turn up.

12. pygmalion

Will try with watermelon and parsley. I have both. :cool:

13. pygmalion

I checked rawguru the other day and saw only Vitamix online. I just haven't gotten a chance to call them and ask about Blendtec yet, but I shall. :)

14. pygmalion

I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to buy your recipe book, btw, sami. :wink:

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I believe it's called the K-tech Champ on their site. It's the same blender.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

all the recipes on my site are currently public access -- go check them out for free. :)

17. pygmalion

What?! And miss the opportunity to hassle you? Nevah!! :razz: I have been checking out your recipes online but I truly do look forward to the opportunity of supporting the cause financially, as a sincere thank you for all the support and great advice you've given me and others over the years. You rock. (I send lots of folks to your site, just in case you were wondering. :cool: )

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thank you, P -- i appreciate that.

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

fwiw
    frozen bananas in my blendtec, mixed with cacao makes a wonderful chocolate soft-serve "ice cream".

20. pygmalion

Checking in: I am not a fan of kale, at least not now. Kale smoothie = chewy til the cows come home = not finishing smoothie = wasting my fruit and defeating the purpose.

I'll try again when I get my bullet (should be a few days) and again when I get my Blendtec (no ETA yet -- $400 - $600 is a lot of money for a blender; I am doing as much comparison shopping as I can, because it's unlikely I'll be making this type of purchase again anytime soon.)

Also: I'm not saying I don't like bananas. I do. I just think that they can be a bit calorie dense, compared to other sweet fruits I could use in a smoothie. So I will use them in moderation, just probably not every day.

Smoothie ice cream sounds yummy. I was also intrigued by the teas and soups on sami's web site. Live green tea? Whoda thunk?