Live Green Smoothies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

My favourite LGS so far is mango, watermelon, and spinach.

It was amazing.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it's brill for ice cream, isn't it... have also found that avocado & zucchini are each excellent ingredients for making creamy "ice creams"...all kinds a flavors.
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

IIRC, i paid around 360.

the whole "warm live" thing... all sami originals. :tongue:

amazing cream of tomato and cream of mushroom soups, omg.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

fave of mine, too, lio.

nuther one to try: watermelon, whole organic lemon (peel & all, one of the bennies of having a high-powered blender), and parsley. with or without mango.
  5. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

including chocolate? I'm so badly craving something chocolate-y these days...
    Please advise! :)
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

best chocolate shakes ever, IMO...
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

8. nikkitta

Well, I don't have those ingredients, so off I went a-googling. I found some of the ingredients (I think?) and I also found this:
    [​IMG]
    Ingredients
    Organic Hemp Protein, Organic Cocoa Powder, Organic Coconut Sugar, Organic Guar Gum, Organic Chocolate Flavor, Organic Tapioca, Organic Inulin (Sunchoke).
    Directions
    Mix 2-4 tbsp of Hemp Shake with 8 oz of milk (almond milk is ideal) and a ripe banana. Storage: Keep container cool. Refrigerate after opening.

Do you think it would be a reasonable substitute for your "Liquid Brownie" recipe if I add an avocado and maybe some greens?
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no, will not be a substitute, but certainly it will be improved with an avocado and fresh greens.

why not just buy some hemp seeds and raw cacao powder and make it fresh? easily purchased online if you don't have a good local source... if you buy online, i'd recommend picking up a block of raw cacao butter as well -- goes a long way in being equipped for amazing choco-fixes when they come up. :)
  10. nikkitta

Ah well, I knew it seemed too easy.
    I had an appointment out of town today, and passed by a Whole Foods market, so I made a pitstop and was able to pick up a few things. I bought some raw honey, cacao powder (didn't say "raw" though), almond milk (the thought of trying to make my own sounds daunting), and an avocado. I did see hemp seeds, but only gigantic bags, so I chose not to get it. Perhaps a nearby Trader Joes would carry it?
  11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The best price I've seen was $455, but that's the allowable, online price. So some good old fashioned phone calls are in my near future. I also saw some used Blendtecs on amazon and on ebay for a bit less, but the price differential is not enough to make it worth my while. I'd rather pay whatever and get the latest model. I suspect this may be the start of a beautiful friendship.

And re: warm live, there's one of the teas that I simply must try -- it's pictured with a cute youngun drinking it (I assume one of your sons,) and it's orange. IIRC, it's mango. I'll go back to your site and find it again. It looked yummy. Way yummy.
  12. pygmalion

Didn't find the one I remembered. Or maybe I mis-remembered. I did find these intriguing recipes and shall try post haste.

A pomegranate slushie? Oh yeah. Gotta try this.

http://www.live-green-smoothie-diet...ll-never-buy-bottled-pomegranate-juice-again/

And there's this one, which may be the one I'm remembering -- not your youngun, sami, a family friend.

You know how I feel about mangoes. Will definitely be trying this one.

http://www.live-green-smoothie-diet...-mango-shake-a-must-make-live-green-smoothie/
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

look for the "Nutiva" brand of hemp seeds -- even my local Shop Rite carries it, and it's not over-sized. i personally don't care for TJs -- they are more focused on convenience/processed "gourmet" sorts of foods, less so on whole foods. just my opinion. but if it's convenient for you and they have what you need, go for it.

i know that it can seem daunting to make fresh nut or seed milk at first, but i promise you, it is so ridiculously easy, doesn't take long at ALL, and is quite satisfying. :)

all you need is a blender and some cheesecloth, which is usually available at most grocery stores and quite cheap.

here's the basic recipe, works for pumpkin seed milks same as almond milk...and you can combine ingredients. lately i'm into an almond/pumpkin/pecan/hazelnut combo. add flavorings as you wish.
  14. pygmalion

I find it interesting that you say low-tech blenders are better than high-powered ones, for making nut milks. Very cool. :)
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

warm fuzzies...my "third son". good memories surround that photo. thanks for posting it, P.

wonderful recipe, though it will depend on what kind of powdered greens you add.
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, high-powered blenders make such fine pulp, it takes longer to squeeze out the liquid. but...the resulting pulp is wonderful. so many things you can do with it, never ever throw it out.

i keep raw almond butter on hand to use as a binding agent with the pulp, which you can then turn into something either sweet or savory.

last weekend, to bring to a dinner party, i made my kale/portabella chopped salad w/ creamy garlic macadamia dressing, and i made some nut milk to use in the dressing. to the leftover pulp (which was crumbly-dry after squeezing out all the moisture) i added raw almond butter, a bit of rapadura raw sugar (i was out of honey), himmy salt, rose water, and chopped dried sour cherries. i would normally keep on hand to have for brekkies or a snack, but i brought it with me to the dinner. everyone loved it.
  17. nikkitta

I have a Ninja kitchen system pulse, and I haven't explored all that it can allegedly do, but the reviews say it's good for smoothies. We shall see!
  18. pygmalion

I've been wondering about that -- The Ninja and the other one that Montel Williams sells (What's it called? The Healthmaster, I think) and how they compare. I'd love to hear about your experiences with the Ninja, if/when you try it for smoothies, and especially as it relates to tender versus less-tender greens. :cool: :)
  19. nikkitta

well, tell me what you'd like me to toss in there and I'll give it a try :cool:
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

see how well it does with a whole, peeled avocado, pit & all. :)

fwiw, the only items i have never seen a blendtec be able to pulverize are dried peruvian incaberries (golden gooseberries...goes by various names). they are fabulous, like sweet tarts, and larger than raisins. but dang, they just stay chunky at the bottom...but they are great to chew on at the end of a smoothie.