Live Green Smoothies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

One book I checked out the library has 50 detailed recipes, with the calorie count and nutrition information for each. A few of the smoothies pack a lot of calories! They seem more like a meal replacement.

The smoothies use a variety of ingredients. Some of the more interesting are silken tofu, almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, yogurt (plain or flavored), and tahini or peanut butter. So any of you use any of these? I'm not sure about tofu, as I've never done anything with it. I've tried almond milk, but not rice milk. And I'm not interested in anything soy. Yogurt's cool, and I love peanut butter.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

those recipes are not live green smoothies...they are very different from what this thread is about. i have never used any of those ingredients in my LGSs, except for fresh almond milk (packaged is not an equivalent).
  3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Well, excuse me.

I thought a few above described ingredients were a little odd, which is why I was asking. None of the recipes put all of those together, they just have one per recipe with other fruit and vegetable ingredients. That being said, if those ingredients were excluded from some the recipes in the book I checked out, they would look a lot like the recipes other contributors have described.

Back on topic. I'm out of here.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

didn't mean to give offense, purr.

people make smoothies all the time with milk, ice cream, pasteurized orange juice, and highly processed protein powders. those types of ingredients, as well as those mentioned in the book you checked out, may make for a tasty meal replacement, but they aren't the types of smoothies we are talking about here.

it's for a reason that those ingredients aren't included in an LGS.
  5. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Success. Pit was obliterated by the Ninja. Sliced my thumb on the darn blade, but hey, all in the name of science :rolleyes:
  6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Awesome. My bullet came yesterday but I haven't unpacked it yet. I'll try an avocado (even though I hate avocados) and check in with my results. I'm just curious.
  7. pygmalion

Ooh. The awesome wasn't about slicing your finger. Sorry to hear about that. :friend:
  8. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I love the idea and taste of LGSs, but after a few tries, it's clear that my digestive system simply cannot handle them. I'm going to have to stick with salads or cooked options for my greens and keep my smoothies non- (or barely) green. Sigh.
  9. pygmalion

I'm sorry to hear that, bia. LGSs are so, so wonderful for my digestive system that I can definitely understand why one would not be able to tolerate them. Not asking any personal questions, but *rhetorical* have you tried adding bananas or tofu or some of the other things that purr mentioned? Pure greens and fruit can be a tad ... stimulating. That's what I like about them. I can see why other people might not like that.
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

learned that david wolfe is selling the "nutribullet" -- a kind of high-powered magic bullet that can give something closer to what blendtecs & vitamixes will do, but it's smaller, more portable, and cheaper.

they advertise it as "not a smoothie" and are instead calling it a "nutriblast" because it breaks down the cellular walls to release nutrition, but by that logic, my LGSs processed by blendtecs are not "smoothies" either since blendtecs are going on 3X as powerful as a nutribullet.

but sounds like a great value, and great for those that want to take it with them on the road. has a nice design, too.
  11. pygmalion

Yep. That's the product/commercial I was talking about, sami. Very, very groovy results, IMO. :cool:
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

looks like it gets the job done.
  13. pygmalion

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Every time I see this thread I am reminded that I need to start having smoothies again... And maybe this time do "live green smoothies".

Maybe a nutribullet would be a good way to start out making live green smoothies. Does anyone know how it compare to the typical 15/20 dollar hand blender?
  15. pygmalion

It's WAAAAAY better, but I probably wouldn't start out with a nutribullet. I paid $120 for my nutribullet, and have seen nutribullets for anything from $100 - $150. That's a lot of money to spend for a blender if you're not sure that LGSs are for you. I think you should use the blender you have and just use tender greens until you are sure that the green taste, feel and impact on your digestive system are things that you like.

After that, if you like it, a hundred-plus bucks will seem cheap. If you don't like it, it will seem like highway robbery for a (comparatively) teeny, tiny blender.
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

What's a hand blender? One of those hand-held sticks you stick in a container to blend a sauce or mash potatoes down? They are worthless, IMO, for a smoothie.

Better to buy a $20 low-end table blender.
  17. pygmalion

In my world, this is a blender

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a hand mixer

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what a hand blender is, so I answered assuming the top picture -- a normal blender from Walmart or Target for home use. Twenty bucks. My short answer is that the nutribullet is better than anything I've had so far, but I expect that my Blendtec will be even better, when it arrives.
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

19. pygmalion

Yes. That's what I thought you meant, and that would not make a regular smoothie, much less a live one, IMHO.

I'm loving the nutribullet, btw, but probably wouldn't have appreciated it in my early days of LGS discovery.
  20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member