Live Green Smoothies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Nov 29, 2006.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

now you've gotta get some really good quality coconut oil: extra-virgin cold pressed or virgin coco-creme.

here are a few links to check that scene out. add a heaping spoonful (no limits on this) to each smoothie, especially before lengthy workouts.

beside the immune system- and ****bolism-enhancing qualities of coconut oil, it's a medium chain fatty acid which your bought can use DIRECTLY for fuel, without storing first -- very much like carbs, except that your insulin level doesn't spike. what happens is you feel the most wonderful HEAT elevation in your system, and then you experience this great steady burn of energy. there's nothing else you can compare it to.

coconut oil is a miracle in itself. there are other cool things you can add, but this would definitely be the #1 non-fruit-&-vedge ingredient to start with.

http://www.alissacohen.com/shop/product.php?productid=4&cat=5&page=1

http://www.sunfood.com/cgi-bin/orde...d=0459&c=Raw/Organic_Food&sc=Oils/Liquids&tc=
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wow... just made one of the most delicious green smoothies ever... w/ sweet potato!

two mangos, one fuji apple, one peeled sweet potato (raw of course), 2-3 leaves very tender organic kale, some coconut oil, water, dash himalayan salt...

fluorescent pea-green appearance (i actually find this color very cool, like liquid sunshine you get to drink...) and deliciously sweet and mild. very creamy, almost milky in taste. but so, so re-freshing.

i've been making these things for a year and a half & they still blow my mind... i wish i'd grown up with them. seems so strange that something so fabulous & easy seems so foreign to our culture... like a secret that could only have been deliberately kept.

but anyway...yum.
  3. Me

Me New Member

*blink*

Wow why am I reminded of the SUPER BASS-O-MATIC! commercials from Saturday Night Live? :D

I do see the healthful benefits of consuming raw, high fiber foods. I think I will try making one of these smoothies. I can see how it would be very healthful and energizing... if I can keep it down. ;)

Samina do you use organic fruits and vegetables? If not, you should try it - unpleasant tastes I often associated with fruits and vegetables (ie that fishy taste broccoli sometimes has) was actually the pesticide, and not the food. The only way I can describe it is... when I installed water filters in my home, after a week or so I could smell the chlorine in other peoples' tap water and would not drink it.

Have you tried adding live cultures (ie yogurt) to your smoothies?

I read what you said earlier about the soy. Avoid, avoid, avoid! There are new studies coming out linking soy consumption to estrogen related cancers. I have cut it completely from my diet, except for whatever soy is used in some of the processeed foods I eat... foods which I am steadily elliminating from my diet. Processed foods = bad.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

eeeewwww!!! LMAO

your first time out, make it sweet & not too thick. i predict you will be surprised at what it's like... :)

i get organic when i can, and won't purchase certain fruits & vedge if organic is not available, because they're known to retain higher levels of pesticide residue. and i regularly use others that are traditionally grown (non-organic).

broccoli is one that apparently does not retain high levels of pesticide residue, but you are so right about the taste -- IME organic broccoli is sweeter, more tender, and less "strong" tasting.

i do not add dairy products to my smoothies. i want only pure fruit & vedge in them; dairy has a clogging effect and slows down one's digestion. of course, people make smoothies with milk and/or yogurt all the time. but i would not consider them "live green smoothies"...

i think this can only be a good thing... there's apparently an epidemic of thyroid dysfunction in our country, and i would not be surprised at all if the two are directly related.

let me know how your smoothie adventure goes, Me! have gotta say, i notice repeatedly that a week on the smoothies very quickly diminishes fullness in the tum area.. ;)
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

going to have a pineapple mango banana one with celery and spinach today...part of the cleaning out the ice box issue
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hey, that sounds good!

over xmas, my sister-in-law in tampa was telling me that since she started with the smoothies a year ago, she stopped throwing produce away. everything gets tossed into the smoothies... which IME tend to really like over-ripe fruit & vedge.
    :)

man, my icebox could use a good cleaning, too...
  7. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I'm having a banana, pear, spinach and parsley smoothie, and it's good!
    Tastes like the fruit. I don't know how it can NOT taste like spinach, but it doesn't!

So, Samina, what are the benefits of these smoothies?
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i know... isn't that cool? to me, greens mostly taste like freshness when they're raw... still amazes me how they blend so gorgeously with the fruit

living enzymes and other phytonutrients that haven't been killed by heat... rich minerals (esp. if eating organic fruit & vedge grown in well-mineralized soil)... you've got the whole food, there, fiber & all...

results in better digestion (faster & more complete)...
    alkalization of one's system (most people's systems are far too acidic, resulting in a plethora of ailments, including arthritis & stiffness)...
    greater sense of well-being (for many reasons, no doubt, but let's just first start with better-absorbed calcium & magnesium)...

if you do enuf... gorgeous skin. when i've gone on a jag away from predominantly raw foods -- such as right now -- it is the change in my skin that compels me back before anything else. when i stay at around 85% raw fruit & vedge (nuts & seeds included), my skin is beautiful & absolutely glows. when i go low-raw, fuggedaboudit... not pretty. ;)

easy weight loss/weight maintenance. again... another reason compelling me back.

just a few high-level things... a whole book can be written on a breakdown of the specifics... wait a tic... one IS being written! *lol*
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

pro & his partner have gotten on the live green smoothie kick... my bottle at dance class has become a communal cup...

pro's very funny descriptions about everything carry over to these as well... "hmmm... <sip sip>... this one looks particularly... er... swampy... but good! <appreciate nod>"

cracks me up...
  10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I kept thinking about the "swampy" description. Right on.

OK. I will say it here, publicly, for all to see.

You were right, and I was wrong. You were right, and I was wrong. You were right, and I was wrong.

Not bad at all. Gotta find something to do with the pears that are about as ripe as they can get without being rotten. Maybe tomorrow.

Can I make these at night and put them in the fridge overnight, or will they get strange on me? (I figure shaking would be mandatory.)
  11. Peaches

Other question.

You and F have mentioned mint. Which kind, and how much. (DH says he'll grow me some.)

Edit to add: "grow me some"??? Yeah, I'm a college graduate. Can't you tell from my wonderful grammar? *mutters to self* "grow me some." Eesh. Public school...
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lmao.. i'm just tickled that you tried them!

pear w/ spinach is brilliant, one of my faves. and overripe fruit were made for these smoothies... stuff i'd cringe at eating straight is wonderful added to the blender w/ the greens...

yah, if i have leftovers i'll pop'em in the fridge & have them in the morning. but this is definitely not something to make & keep. make in the morning, keep on ice & drink by end of day, or make at night & finish in the morning... that'd be my max suggestion. i have been known to finish a bottle late the next day, but not my habit.

i wanna know more about what you end up trying! :)

yay, peach... so cool!
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

any kind... handful... alone or mixed with other greens.

peach, it is almost impossible to ruin these things. you know your taste... if you like mint a lot, add a lot; if not, not so much.

mint pairs nicely with watermelon, with honeydew, with pear, with mango, with peach, with grapes.

oh yeah... green grapes are awesome in smoothies. as are kiwi. and plums. separately or all mixed together.

ok. i'll shut up now. lol
  14. Peaches

Famous. Last. Words.

You don't know what happens to me in kitchens. It ain't pretty.
  15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

You're not alone. My smoothie won't be "live" by the time I'm done with it!
  16. Peaches

Have you ever had neighbors call the fire company while you were cooking? I have... (Not kidding...happened twice.)
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol... yah... just go ahead & try... live things blend so well...

peach, if you like vanilla shakes, put a huge handful of spinach, 2-3 bananas, a bit of vanilla extract & blend it up with water & a bit of ice.
  18. Peaches

Oooh...green vanilla...

I'm gonna need a bigger blender. And more bananas.
  19. Peaches

Hmmm...new idea for D-F girl get together...smoothie tasting. Otherwise I'm gonna make myself sick trying different varieties. (Patience isn't my strong suit...wanna try them now, gosh darnit!.)
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

then maybe we can get you onto raw cocao beans... and definitely cold-pressed coconut oil... mmmm