Live Green Smoothies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Nov 29, 2006.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i've got a gay friend who wants to set me up doing smoothie parties for his circle of friends, so many of which are into health/fitness/beauty... i think it's a brilliant idea... smoothie parties with a whole run of versions... some alcoholic, even. :cool:

i taught a class last year on it & did pretty much that... just no cocktail versions.
  2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Coconut oil scares me.

Grew up with the cholesterol coconut oil horror stories...kind of seared into my brain. And then I found it in the (organic, of course) grocery store the other day. Frightening.

Then again, I said the same thing about drinking spinach...
  3. Peaches

Well, we've talked about the live blackberry margaritas! Not sure I'd want to sully a good blackberry margarita with spinach, though. Got to draw a line somewhere.

Reminds me of an (actually interesting) version of Tastefully Simple parties. Apologies to any reps out there...
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no cholesterol issues... those studies were done using hydrogenated coconut oil, not the natural stuff.

coconut oil actually helps stabilize cholesterol... research how it helps the thyroid & how that's connected to cholesterol use... fascinating subject.

all my research & experience points to it being hands-down the healthiest fat out there...
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i bet it would even more invigorating... and so fresh-tasting!

of course, could make them go down a bit more easily... dangerous.:cool:
  6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

You may have me slightly beat. When I first moved into our house, I spaced and put a pizza box in the electric stove. Alarms went off shortly thereafter. That had never happened in the gas stoves I was used to using.

Actually, my cooking is pretty good. I just hate doing it anymore.
  7. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

No - but using the kitchen in my dorm freshman year of college, I did set off the fire alarms and everybody had to go outside. Twice. In one afternoon.

The ironic thing was that I wasn't burning any food. The pans that they had down there were really old and something ended up smoking.

Not my food, though. My food came out perfectly. :)
  8. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Fire drills were a favorite pastime of my freshman dorm-mates. Esecially in the wee hours of morning to see who was sleeping with whom.
    Males were highly suspected. We had a ridiculous amount of them.
  9. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

OK, Samina, I think I've finally figured out the part of this concept that's hanging me up here...it's the "live" part, together with "green"...sounds vaguely amphibian. Still, I'm planning to try to find my blender this weekend and throw something together...no spinach, though...maybe mint leaves...yeah, that's the ticket.
  10. DancingForPassion

DancingForPassion New Member

I make these smoothies too, but add Spirulina, Dulse, Dinosaur Kale, Seaweed, anything green with the fruit. Haven't tried the coconut oil yet, but will this weekend. It helps me to have enough energy to (survive) dance practice 3-4 hours per day, when I used to feel really dranined after practicing that long.
  11. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Kermit in a blender? :p

I would love to give this a try too (not poor Kermit - I mean some of Samina's recipes). Gotta get a more substantial blender, and get over the fact that spinach and arugula make my stomach churn.
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ha... amphibian... very gross association... understandable if you're hung up for that reason. :)

fyi, tho: spinach is far more neutral & "fresh"-tasting than mint..
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ew... lol

start with spinach... i guarantee you won't even taste it...
  14. Peaches

Ha! I ran across an article on the BBC site the other day which mentioned some "health drink" or other which was basically blender-ized live frog. Plus some other stuff, but live frog was the main ingredient. Whole new meaning to "live green smoothies."
  15. Peaches

I'll vouch for that. You don't taste spinach--it just kind of mellows the other flavors somehow. And tastes...um...fresh, as Sam has insisted since the beginning.
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

:mrgreen:
  17. spectator

spectator Member

Pubmed is the best place to check the "health giving" qualities of food. They gather real evidence either way, rather than relying on anecdotal evidence. An example, Broccoli actually does have cancer fighting properties which aren't destroyed by your digestive system. I'm not sure how well chlorophyll would compare to haemoglobin, but maybe I'm thinking of it from a functional/chemical point of view...
  18. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Umm..."GACK"! Did anyone ever find that hurling emoticon?
  19. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

Does the package have a large, red label that says "Warning! Lark's vomit"?
  20. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

OK, I believe you...still gotta find that blender...I've moved several times in the past two years (long story) and most of my kitchen stuff is Lord-knows-where...or maybe I'll spring for a new one this weekend.