Live Green Smoothies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Nov 29, 2006.

1. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Heck, I think it would be fun to start photosynthesizing for energy :cool:
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

had plain watermelon smoothies all day today... awesome for hot weather.

fwiw, the black seeds in the original watermelons (if you can still find them) are nutritious & edible. my rinky-dink blender can't break them down, tho... ah well, they settle to the bottom, no prob.
  3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Grapefruit/mango/parsley/spinach...

Notes:
    I'm not bothering to add mango anymore...kind of pointless, it seems.
    Less parsley.
    Wash parsley more thoroughly...something is a touch gritty, and that's the only thing I can think of.

Interesting...grapefruit start, parsley finish...bitter.
  4. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Finally broke down and tried these. (Once Peaches had been a guinea pig for them, I figured it was safe :D)

Spinach, strawberries, a couple basil leaves.

Really good!
  5. Peaches

I see I have a reputation...

Spinach, strawberry, and basil eh? I could do that tonight...sounds like a plan. I need fruits/veggies after today's crap.
  6. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

The best meal I've ever had (in Paris) included a cold strawberry soup with basil in it, so I figured I'd start off the smoothies with a taste I knew I liked.
  7. 9dncr

9dncr New Member

I think Imight be with you on this... It sounds like a great idea but drinking something green like that would throw me way off. I bet I will attempt it one of these days though! Does it give you energy? Is it filling?:confused:
  8. Peaches

Very filling.
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

way to go, waltzie!

strawberries are very low sugar & tart, tho... excellent as an additional fruit, but your smoothies will taste even better if you include a sweet fruit...

mango & strawberry are fab together (peaches' hesitance to add waste a mango on a smoothie, aside... lol)

:)
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

try & see... ;)

an amazingly filling live smoothie supper is mango/parsley blended with a whole young coconut, poured over chopped strawberries & topped with raw macadamias... you'd be full & feeling light all at the same time.
  11. 9dncr

9dncr New Member

OK when you start talking mango and strawberries I am convinced! I was a bit scared to try something that sounded like it would be dark green and chunky when it hit my lips..... :???: But I am willing to bet the more fruit that is in it the more colorful it is!

I just got a bullet I need to put it to good use! This weekend I am going to have a LIVE GREEN SMOOTHIE!

Is it ok if I put rum in it???? :cheers: JUST KIDDING!
  12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

hmmmm, wouldn't that make it a Drunk Green Smoothie? [​IMG]
  13. Peaches

Suggestion: put it in a dark container at first, add plenty of water and ice. Blend it for a long time. That way, it'll be thinner, colder, smoother, and you won't be able to see it.
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol... i know... that's what most people anticipate about it, that it'll be like drinking Lawn...lol

as i have alluded to previously in a number of threads, i think the idea of adding rum & such to live green smoothies is brilliant... just brilliant... something that's both recreational AND good for you AND tastes great... i'm so there!! :cheers:
  15. 9dncr

9dncr New Member

GREAT smiley!
    I think it is a wonderful idea, I try to drink / eat something that is good for me so that I can try to loose weight, and ooops! I get drunk and end up throwing it up instead.. Either way I loose weight! ;-)

How Festive! Just what the summer ordered!
  16. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

So I'm thinking about giving these things a try.... but the first step is getting a blender.... any suggestions on good models? things to look for/look out for?
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

sure! you don't need fancy features or numerous speeds... hi & lo will do. i prefer models with glass containers because of the chemicals reputed to leach out of plastic. i purchased a $20 "smoothie" blender from wal-mart with two buttons & a spigot. works fine!
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

btw, had a wonderful strawberry (full quart)/watermelon/plum smoothie w/ sprouts yesterday... delish.
  19. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Does one need a smoothie maker or will an ordinary, old-fashioned blender work?
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ordinary old-fashioned blender is perfect. i just got what i got cuz it was cheap, glass, and had two buttons. ;)