Live Green Smoothies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Nov 29, 2006.

1. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Cool, because I have an ordinary, old-fashioned blender. I've made smoothies before but never with green stuff. Usually, just fruit, ice and maybe some protein powder or non-fat yogurt. Very nice on a hot summer day.

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

sounds like you're well-equipped should you desire to venture into live green smoothie land. :)

my cheap blender is very cross-functional, being also the designated altar of tikidom for this summer.

but my tiki cocktails are going to be primarily raw & will even experiment with making them green...

3. LucyDiamond

Is bourbon green? :lol:

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i can make it so... lol

how bout a lemon-bourbon crush with pineapple for sweet & sprouts for colorless "green" (probly won't taste them... of course, will have to experiment & taste-test)...:cool:

5. LucyDiamond

sounds yummie!!!!!

rum would probably work also, especially with pineapple and some coconut. :wink:

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

definitely... then we're outa bourbonville & starting to get our tiki on (different thread) lol.

7. LucyDiamond

different thread... meh... seems like tikies and smoothies show up in almost every thread here on DF. :lol:

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

they do indeed. either that or lime green socks...

9. LucyDiamond

now, we're getting into the random thread...

10. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

So I haven't had a chance to get a blender yet, but I'm hoping to this weekend.... I'm not too familiar with these dark greens that make the base of the smoothies though... the only one I've eated often is spinach.... Can you talk a little about the other prime ingredients you tend to use and what they taste like/combine well with?

Some dark greens I've thought of, besides spinach, that don't seem appropriate or appetizing -- mint/oregano (former), brocolli (latter).

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oregano -- quite strong. mint can be nice but certainly has distinctive flavor. spinach best for beginning, i believe, as the flavor disappears into that famous "fresh" quality and completely emulsifies, which parsley has a harder time doing...although am huge fan of parsley smoothies.

if you like spicier greens, arugula & watercress are good. kale can be either delicate or cabbage-y, depending variety & whether organic (IME, everything tends to be more delicate & sweeter in general when organic... meh, just my experience). baby romaine good. i like dill, and actually always get some kind of herbal high from it when i smoothify it. not sure why. very nice.:cool:

but spinach is the way to go for starters, i think. then parsley. after that... toss anything green in there that you want, including sprouts.

just make sure you've got plenty of sweet fruit.

keep us posted, nielse! :D

12. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

I just bought two of these blenders - one for home and one for work. It's amazing - very satisfied!!

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productdetails/sku__IP700
    http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productdetails/sku__IP701

13. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Gotta find that darned blender...

14. Laura

Laura New Member

My blender of choice is the Vita-Mix.

I like kale shredded into salads, but I've never tried it in a smoothie.

As far as raw cocktails go, I heartily recommend making pina coladas. Start with a young Thai coconut. Thwap the top off with a cleaver and pour the water into the blender. Use a spoon to scrape all the meat out of the inside of the coconut and add it to the blender. Next, take a fresh coconut, core it, and cut off all the skin. Chop up the pineapple and add about as much of it to the blender as there is coconut. (It's even better if the pineapple has been frozen.) Blend until smooth, add rum to taste, enjoy!

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Laura, maybe I missed something, but what do you do with the fresh coconut after coring it and cutting off the skin. The Thai coconut bit I understand, but not the fresh coconut part.

16. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Okay I was curious enough to try... but didn't check this thread before my experiement:

Curly kale, celery, carrot, grapes, grapefruit juice, ice cubes.

Not bad... not very green either, but hey, first attempt. I suppose I should some other form of liquid instead of not-freshly-squeezed fruit juice? For sweetening, I might add strawberries/raspberries to the mix tomorrow, since I've got some in the fridge. How about broccoli? Would it work?

I was brought up to believe raw spinach was bad for you :?... something about oxalic acid... any thoughts?

17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Haven't died yet. Neither has Sam. Can't be all that bad. *shrug*

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hey, awesome, mac! i have still never added celery or carrots to my smoothies, despite seeing fasc do it... broccoli works nicely, pairs exceptionally well with pineapple. berries are nice, but they are not sweet -- your smoothies taste best with some kind of sweet fruit added as the main sweetener, such as banana, mango, pear, melon, peach, plum, kiwi, grapes, and so on. and yes... nix the pasteurized OJ and just use water. :D

yes, i hear this as well. gabriel cousins is an MD who is extremely knowledgeable about a raw food lifestyle and this is what he has to say in his book "conscious eating":

Organic oxalic acid, defined as that which occurs in nature in its raw form, can actually be beneficial to the system. Once foods containing oxalic acid are cooked, according to the dean of juice therapy and author of Raw Vegetable Juices, Dr. Norman Walker, the oxalic acid becomes dead and irritating substance to the system. He feels that in its cooked form it binds irreversibly with the calcium and prevents calcium absorption. An excess of cooked oxalic acid may also form oxalic acid crystals in the kidney. In the live organic form of oxalic acid, Dr. Walker claims oxalic acid stones and calcium blockage do not occur because the organic oxalic acid can be metabolized appropriately. according to Dr. Walker, oxalic acid in its raw form is one of the important minerals needed to maintain tone and peristalsis of the bowel.

personally, i am not concerned.

19. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Parsley, baby spinach, rocket, pineapple, nectarine, grapes, ice cubes, water.

Yum :) I think it's rocket's flavour I'm liking. I can hardly taste any parsley, which is surprising.

20. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Sam -

I was reading your site and had a question. (Sorry if it's been addressed here already, but this thread is getting too long to catch up on!)

What's your take on canned or frozen greens? I mean, clearly not as good, but they're often a lot cheaper, so I was just wondering. Would a smoothie made with frozen spinach still have the same benefits as with fresh?