Live Green Smoothies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Nov 29, 2006.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hi dela!

canned: no way.

frozen greens: no, not the same. i will use frozen berries as a backup for add-ins to a green smoothie, but not for the greens. frozen isn't the same as fresh. when you freeze food, whether fruit, vedge, or meat, the water in the tissue expands and bursts the cells. they just aren't viable after a defrost - imagine if you did the same thing to your hand. ;)

no, the magical benefits of a live green smoothie are in the living enzymes & other nutrients, that face that they have not been damaged or deteriorated due to the trauma of extreme heat or cold.

use cheap greens if it's an issue -- get parsley, dill, cilantro, or collards, instead of spinach or kale. parsley is a fave in my house for the very reason is that it costs a fraction of what organic spinach goes for. :)

have you tried a green smoothie yet, dela?

2. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

No, not yet. I haven't got a blender! And right now, I'm on the road for the next couple of months, so no kitchen either. But I definitely want to experiment with them when I get settled in September. ("Settled" in that I'll be in the same place for two whole months!)

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you can pick up a cheap blender at walmart and make them while you're on the road - they are so easy to make & to clean up. no need to wait til september to try, IMO. you can rinse the blender out in the bathroom sink. :)

i've seen people take those little mini bullet blender thingies on the road with them, but i haven't tried those...

4. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Hmm . . . will look into it. In a week I'll be moving into a rather, er . . . "rustic" dorm (cubicle dividers for walls, curtains for doors, unfinished ceiling, bare bulbs, etc. - fine arts colony spends its money on the theatre!) that's at least 30 min from the nearest grocery store, so I'll probably just take the cafeteria food while I'm there.

But I have got a three-week layover in late July/early August when I'll be visiting family during which I'll definitely experiment. (What better time to play than when in somebody else's kitchen? My poor mother, lol.)

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

she'll be fascinated....one way or the other, lol.

6. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Quick question....would there be a significant nutritional difference between the process of the live green smoothie and simply juicing your veggies and fruits? I dearly love my juicer, and regularly make my favorite combination of spinach, beets, carrots, tomatoes, apples, and strawberries. Yum!

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

juicing's great. no argument from me. just way more work to make & to clean up...

8. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Quite true. However, my juicer takes most fruits and veggies whole, or at least in large pieces. Not a lot of prep involved. It's just the cleanup that gets a bit tedious. And, when comparing the work of cleaning the juicer to the pleasure I get from my juice.... it's worth it to me. :)

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

This is why I so rarely use my juicer. Cleanup is just too big a pain.

Actually that's an issue with the blender, too. When you have a small counter and have to handwash EVERYTHING, one-plate meals, things which are disposable, and things that come in containers you can eat from are a lot more appealing.

10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

This seems like a good place to extol the virtues of aluminum foil (says this "bachelor gourmet").

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, juicing is easy going in...miserable cleanup, at least mine. alas... because i am crazy about fresh juice.

cleaning up a blender after making a live smoothie is as easy as a quick rinse with hot water -- nothing could be easier, or faster.

12. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

Green smoothies are yummy!

13. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I've been neglecting my blender lately... used to make fresh fruit smoothies all the time last summer. Maybe it's because of this nasty November-like weather we're having now.

But this green smoothie sounds like it's worth trying. What do you think of just buying a pre-mixed salad bag and tossing that in? :D I admit I'm too lazy to actually choose individual veggies and cut them up.

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

handful of washed spinach, two pears cut in half... what could be easier than that? :)

i think those pre-mixed salad bags always look old & chemicalized to me... i don't use them. i do buy bins of pre-washed & dried organic baby spinach if i'm rollin' in the dough tho. ;)

otherwise get a bunch of something green & organic, rip off a handful, rinse under water, add fruit & water, and you're good to go. boiling water takes more time. :)

15. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

You assume I know how to boil water :p

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Typical woman of my generation. ;) :p

18. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

That's only because my mom said I didn't have to learn to cook until I got married. And now I live with my boyfriend who does all the cooking for me. I think I got a good deal! :)

In fact, I'll just ask HIM to make the smoothie ;)

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

now you're talkin'...

20. Laura

Laura New Member

Am having my first LGS ever. 1 cup of baby spinach and two red delicious apples (there weren't any pears at the store). Tastes like watery apple juice. It's good.