Long Hair

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by AquaDancer, Sep 7, 2003.

1. AquaDancer

AquaDancer New Member

I have waist length hair and have the most difficult time with how to wear it. I can't braid or ponytail my hair because when I turn my hair would practically kill my partner. (Tried it once and I don't think he appreciated my hair too much) I'm really tired of the regular ballet bun. Any suggestions?

What do you do with your hair when you're dancing?
  2. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Hmm..I have hair past my shoulder blades and I always "whip" people in the face with it unintentionally. my dance partners always get a mouthfull lol. I usually put it up in a ponytail but on the last wrap around I let my hair "loop" (don't pull the hair all the way through the elastic) then I wrap the "tail" of hair that is left hanging around into a messy bun and secure with another hair tie or clip. I would also suggest a french braid either tucked under or secured into a bun at the bottom.
  3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

One of my old partners had really long hair that she wore in a ponytail...the funny part was I got so used to it that I wasn't even conscious of the fact that I was blinking as it whipped past my eyes. What was really funny was that when I’d been dancing with her a lot at a given time I’d still blink in the same places with other partners…even those with really short hair :lol:

The best though, was one night two years ago when we were at a restaurant/club in Orlando...right as I was launching her into a sharp turn her scrunchy went flying so that whereas she started the spin with a ponytail her hair was then just fanned out in this huge rotating halo...couldn't plan a better effect or duplicate it by design...
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

No interesting suggestions, here. When I'm wearing my hair long, I usually do the ballet bun when I'm dancing. They do have some really pretty and decorative bun holders out there, for variety. Have you tried those?
  5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hiya Jenn,
    Things to know as you're getting ready to compete:

Be careful of how you put your hair up in a bun, and especially careful of what you use to hold it in place - if you do!

I know that Carolyn and a few others have learned the hard way, by getting points deducted, when their hair piece, holder, scrunchy, whatever you call them, etc., came flying out in the middle of a competition dance.

Vince
  6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips, Vince. I think I'm going to opt for an ultra short, low maintenance cut for the first couple times around (November and February). Anything more complicated can wait until I know what the heck I'm doing. :lol: :lol: :D
  7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Very good thinking. The Pro that I compete with . . . her hair is about an inch or so long long . . . defiitely low maintenance!!!!!!!
  8. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Our instructor has long hair and I can see that her dance partner has learned how to turn his head or somehow miss being whipped by her long hair. She mostly wears the top half of her hair pulled back so that it doesn't whip around too much. She also wears the french braid and it looks really cute. There used to be a woman that had really long hair that danced at our nightclub. Because the dance floor was pretty crowded, when she would spin, she would hit other dancers with her long hair. After being hit with it several times, I told her that her hair was dangerous, so she started wearing it up in a french roll or a bun.
  9. Giselle

Giselle New Member

I have long hair as well and the consensus I've gotten from my dance partners is usually that it is better to leave it down as opposed to a braid or ponytail (they hurt more). Usually for practice I go with a low ponytail. There is a lady at my studio who has very short hair- which seems to be working very nicely for her, but I personally think that longer hair is more feminine and that there is something very nice about hair whipping around (not super-long) a turn.
  10. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Reviving Thread

Hm I was thinking of Vanessa Williams in "Dance With Me"... she wore her hair in a long, stylish polytail at the competition. Definitely a hair piece. I remember a time when such ponytails were very in style at Latin comps. I am even tempted to try it some day myself. What do you think? Since they were once in style they had to be comfortable... Maybe fake hair (ponytail hairpiece) is heavier and doesn't whip as much?

T_E
  11. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Imo, the hair should stop moving as soon as the body does, no "weeee! trailing", Lol.

I "ball mine up"- it's long, so what I do is gather it all into my right hand, like I would for a ponytail, and start twisting it around itself until I have a bun of sorts, then stick a scunci (yes, I know they're "like soooo eighties" and I don't care) around it. It works, but then I have naturally curly hair so it frizzes the front- that's MY problem I have to work on, Lol.
  12. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

PS- underwired bras were in style, too- nobody said anything about them being comfortable- or stiletto heels :lol:
  13. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Posted this in the other "long hair" thread, but here it is again:

At comps, I've seen Latin pros with very long hair braid a ponytail, then pin it to their costume in various ways, so it doesn't fly out and hit their partners.