long nails

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by kdogg, Oct 15, 2005.

1. kdogg

kdogg New Member

The other night I danced with a lady with pretty long nails (I don't know if they were fake or not), and boy, I tell you it wasn't pleasant because the whole time I was worried about breaking her nails when I spinned her; you know how precious the nails are to some ladies :wink: . And I was also worried about getting scratched with those could-be-lethal nails :wink: . Have you had similar experiences, guys?
  2. Gussie

Gussie New Member

Not a guy but had to comment, I keep my nails short, partly cause I can't treat people with long nails and partly cause I don't like them.

This problem isn't limited just to us ladies and our nails.. there are some men I've noticed who have sharp scratchy hangnails.. and then those men who grow just the nail on their little finger long.. what's all that about? Is it to punish us ladies by digging it deep into our hands if we follow wrong? *hide*
  3. Danoo

Danoo New Member

i dont really like dancing with people with long nails either

1) scared to get your fingers cut off :lol: :lol:
    2) your scared of breaking them and getting a slap :roll:
  4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I don't want to dance with people with long nails. :( But, I want to dance with everyone... :cry: Help me out here ladies and gents.
  5. africana

africana New Member

yes I boycott those guys - nasty!
    how about the ones that dig nails into your waist when they grab there! and they tend to be nasty older men :roll:
  6. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

See, women can say something to men whose long nails dig into them. Men don't have that luxury. Poor, poor men.
  7. amrimi

amrimi New Member

It comes from Italy. It's asign for everybody to see that this guy doesn't have to do hard physical labor.
  8. Big10

Big10 Member

Until this thread, I had never thought about that! Indeed, I can't remember ever having a problem with a woman's nails. I figure that if a woman is going to a Salsa dancing venue, then her nails and general attire are probably "dance-proof." (But I'm still careful about partners with strapless dresses or short skirts.)

The one item that does irritate me occasionally is when a woman wears a ring with something sharp rising above her hand. It's painful when my hand brushes against that during a turn :evil: -- but actually I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Do most women take off their rings (even wedding rings) when dancing? Or, do they twist them a certain way so that there is no sharp protrusion?
  9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I generally take off my rings when I dance(or daon't wear any to begin with) as they tend to "fly off".

I have long nails, REAL ones, not those meathooks like Florence Griffith Joyner had. Never had any complaints form guys regarding the nails. On the contrary, I HAVE heard a lot of guys say they love women with beautiful hands.
  10. africana

africana New Member

I thought it was for taking snuff (tobacco) :lol:
  11. SalseraLaura

SalseraLaura New Member

i have long nails that arent fake, sometimes they do break when i dance but i dont get mad at the guy its my choice to have my nails long and if they dont break when im dancing theyll break when im doing something else so meh...my nails arent so long that theyve caused a problem with guys though except for once when a guy did something weird and i scratched his face... :? lol i said sorry but he knew it was his fault with whatever crazy move he tried to do so i didnt feel too bad..lol
  12. sara1011

sara1011 New Member

I also heard that it was for taking something else.

Anyway, my nails are a modest length so I've never had any complaints about them.
  13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Over here in Asia, women think it's for men picking their nose(HONEST!). No one has ever been able to answer this honestly, and I've been asking since I arived in Japan 20 years ago. A lot of guys have them and I think they're disgusting looking.
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I never take of my wedding ring for a variety of reasons...dont want to be misunderstood...dont want to lose it...and it is well rounded and would catch on anything....but I do have a marquis cut sapphire that I havent worn since the first time it gouged out a piece of a guys hand....I wear my nail of a modest length for hygiene purposes and I generally have them only slightly rounded rather than fully round or full square (both of which can be too pointy in differing ways)...I know that the gentleman likes to take hold of a nice hand and I like giving one....
  15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I can imagine the ruthless bloodshed incurred! :lol:
  16. alorafhs

alorafhs Member

I keep my nails short. My dance partner once told me that I scratched him and it never occurred to me that I could do that. I felt bad. So whenever I go out dancing I like to keep them on the shorter side for the well being of my partner.

I do wear rings but that are just 2 sliver bands nothing big that would cause any discomfort to the other person
  17. dTas

dTas New Member

how long is long?

my wife has very nice nails. they're long but i wouldn't consider them too long. i had a dance partner for 5 years who had long mails and didn't have a problem.

so i wonder... how long of nails are we talking about here?

plus... no matter how long the nail, if it breaks its not my fault. that's the nature of doing an activity that largly entails using your hands. if you worry about breaking a nail then size your nails accordingly.
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

For me between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch over the tip of the finger. Any longer than that and they get in the way.
  19. deewoman

deewoman New Member

The one item that does irritate me occasionally is when a woman wears a ring with something sharp rising above her hand. It's painful when my hand brushes against that during a turn :evil: -- but actually I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Do most women take off their rings (even wedding rings) when dancing? Or, do they twist them a certain way so that there is no sharp protrusion?[/quote]

I leave my diamond engagement ring at home but wear the plain band. My dance partner and one of my teachers complained about the diamond poking into their hand. My husband and I decided not to salder (misspelled?) the two rings together for that reason.
  20. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I stopped wearing rings to dance partly for this reason. Also, I usually keep my nails reasonably short, so that they do not extend too far beyond the finger, but that is mainly because I find it inconvenient to type with long nails (I am a programmer, so I use a computer a lot).