Looking for a cell phone

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Feb 2, 2011.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

FWIW, even though I'm a software engineer with 30 years professional experience, I'm severely office-phone challenged. Transfer a call? Set up a conference call? Those lines drop in an instant!
  2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Heh. That makes two of us.

We jsut moved office buildings, and we've got new phones and a new phone system. We had phone training classes, I kid you not. At first I laughed when I got the email (Seriously? A class on how to use the phone?), but then it made a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I was unable to make it to any of the training sessions so I'm still phone stupid.
  3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Before I try to transfer anyone, I make sure to give them the phone number first so that they can call directly should I end up dropping them. Plus I apologize in advance. As for tying the phone in to the PA system, I haven't a clue.

---------------
    In response to your "wages of sin" sig-line, there's Paula Poundstone's observation that while it is true that the wages of sin is death, after deductions and withholdings all you're left with is feeling very, very tired.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

*bump* DS just got the text message from Hades. As of December 15, his cell phone (Android X with 3G, IIRC) will no longer support Verizon's streaming video service. DS has to choose a 4G something or the other, an Android phone or an iPhone.

This is not a problem, since he's due for a new phone and eligible for a discounted upgrade on 12/13. I'm thinking that I'll get him the iPhone 5 with 64 GB of memory, just because. But ...

Just wondering, though. Any thoughts on the new iPhone, especially as compared to Android phones?

And (this is for old codger me) is Blackberry still even relevant? It's the only phone I could find that has 4G, is "global ready" and that has a real keyboard (I hate virtual keyboards.) Or should I just put on my big girl pants and get used to a virtual keyboard?
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The Apple tax.
  6. pygmalion

Not really, at least with Verizon. Smart phone plans all cost the same. And Android phones cost about the same as the smaller-memory iPhones. (About $200, with a two-year contract.) You really only pay a premium if you go for the upgraded memory. IIRC, it's $199 for an iPhone with 16Gig, $299 for 32 Gig and $399 for 64Gig. *shrug* No matter how you slice it, they've got ya coming and going.
  7. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Get used to the virtual keyboard. My mother got her first smartphone recently and insisted on having a physical keyboard on her phone. She finds now that she rarely, if ever, uses it and prefers the virtual keyboard.

I'm quite a fan of my droid razr and they've put out a couple of updated versions of it (maxx, m) that have longer battery life, bigger screens etc. Personally, I never liked the one button on the iphone, I like having my 4 little buttons. That being said, I haven't gotten a chance to play around with a new iphone5.
  8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Right now I believe that the samsung galaxy III edges out the iphone5. Two reasons that I can think of that you might want your son to avail of Pyg: maps and photos. The iphone5 seems to have an issue of purple spots in some photos...you can google that, and as your son is taking photography etc I would think a phone that can take good photos is important. Also the map app is a very useful one that can be used on a daily basis. Even Apple CEO apologized for the new apple map app. My brother who has an older version of iphone told me that he won't even update his operating system as he does not want to be saddled with the apple map app. You can go to consumer reports etc to compare the two, but for me it would be one or the other.
  9. pygmalion

Thanks, Sag. My ex-Geek Squad friend said the same thing. Galaxy III. I'll check it out.

XGS friend also said that, if you opt for the iPhone, there are different approaches to memory -- buy the upgraded memory, if you want to upload your music to the physical memory. Or buy the phone with a smaller memory, then purchase cloud storage and keep your songs in the cloud.
  10. pygmalion

DS ended up getting the HTC 8X in red. He is absolutely loving it, especially the built-in Beats audio. And it's a beauty.

[​IMG]

Now it's my turn. Any thoughts on the Droid Razr?
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I have the droid razr. I like it, it's a good phone, nice and slim, good sized screen. Battery life isn't top notch, I often have to charge in the evening (I am a HEAVY phone user though) but I've heard the razr maxx solves that problem nicely (brother in law has it and seems to like it, tradeoff is it's a little thicker). Don't believe what they tell you about the "gorilla glass" screen though. While mine has never gotten a scratch, I did have two crack on me in the space of 2 months, the first a total failure, the second I've been living with ever since. I slapped an otterbox and a screen protector on it though and the cracks haven't spread. I love that it runs ice cream sandwich (the operating system) and the user interface is nice. As someone who carries their phone in their pocket, the slim profile is good and even with the case isn't too cumbersome.
  12. pygmalion

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I'll get the Otterbox and screen protector as preventative measures. I think I'm going to go for the Droid. Two reasons. One: My cell phone provider is offering it for free right now. Two: It's compatible with Hulu Plus, unlike DS's Windows phone. That'll give me something to make him jealous with. :D
  13. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the iPhone 5? Seriously considering getting one.
  14. Peaches

DH has it and loves it. I have the 4s and love it. I'm not sure the 5 us worth the additional cost, so if you can find deals on the 4 or 4s it's worth considering.
  15. pygmalion

It's funny. I never have been a fan of iPhones. It just seems to me like you pay more for the same capabilities. right now, I've ordered the Razr; it's free. I paid $99 plus fess for DS's HTC 8X Windows phone. The iPhone 5 (with 16GB memory) is $199. Their specs are almost exactly the same, with the exception of the fact that the Windows phone has better battery life and better audio that either of the other two. (Not sure about the screen resolution.)

So why an Apple? The aps?
  16. DL

DL Well-Known Member

It's getting easier these days to buy unlocked phones, separate from carrier contracts. Then you can sign up for prepaid voice and data plans. When you travel internationally just get a cheap prepaid local SIM, and never worry about roaming charges.

The freedom from 2-year contracts and phone replacement policies is fantastic.
  17. Peaches

See, and DH had a Droid something-or-other. It worked...but it was slow and clunky, the touch interface was a p.i.t.a., and it wasn't nearly as intuitive as the iPhone. My parents just got a non-iThing phone this past summer, and it's been a nightmare for them. Again, not intuitive. Yes, I suppose it has much the same capability, but it feels and acts like a small computer with computer-based setups. It seems to be using the PC mode of file + shortcut to access things...which is fine, but a b*tch to try and figure out what the hell is going on. Things get stored in odd places, trying to find them was a pain...the whole damn phone was just an absolute pain to use. They've hated them from Day 1. I suppose if you're comfortable with things it's probably better. If you want to play with and customize things I'm sure it's better. But if you're tech challenged (*raises hand*), or don't want to have to take the time to eff with your phone, I just don't see it as a good fit. Shrug. YMMV.
  18. pygmalion

Yeah. I can see a shakedown coming in the cell phone market (if it's not already here.) Cell phone providers have had a strangle hold on people's pocketbooks long enough.
  19. pygmalion

I guess it's kind of a google versus bing thing. The iPhone interface doesn't seem intuitive to me. *shrug* To each her own, I suppose.
  20. Peaches

Interesting about the non-intuitive iPhone interface. Horses for courses, etc. :)