Looking for instructor recommendations in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DancinProf, Jul 4, 2009.

1. DancinProf

DancinProf Member

My husband and I, bronze level Smooth & Rhythm competitors, are looking to take private lessons with an instructor in Atlanta. We live in Macon, about 1.5 hours south of downtown ATL, so our goal is to take lessons twice a month and practice on our own in between. Can anyone recommend an instructor? I am familiar with only one pro in Atlanta (not sure I should say who) and it looks like he will not have time in his schedule for us. We are feeling a little desperate as we want to continue competing but have run totally out of options here in Macon.

Thanks in advance!
  2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Sending a PM now. :)
  3. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Without a doubt, Ian Folker, whose contact info is in NDCI Directory. He is very good, with the infamous German precision. Not convinced? See his Manhattan results.
  4. reb

reb Active Member

I'm not local to Atlanta, so locals will have to comment - there's Eddie Ares and our own Josh.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

our josh and rainier rics are both great guys...I don't know eddie personally though his work speaks for itself
  6. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Ian Folker teaches at Eddie Ares Studio.
  7. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Eddie stays pretty booked. I vote for Ranier Rics, or Ian Folker. They do all styles. Ranier mostly teaches out of Atlanta Ballroom Dance Center. Ian teaches at Academy Ballroom-Atlanta location. There are other pros who specialize in either Ballroom/Smooth or Rhythm/Latin. Would you like to know those as well? Or are you trying to stick to one who does both Smooth/Rhythm?
  8. DancinProf

DancinProf Member

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! We would like to find someone who does both Smooth and Rhythm. I should add also that my husband's preference is for a male instructor--he feels like he can learn men's parts better from a man, and I don't have a preference so I follow his! (like a good follower...hahaha)
  9. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

No offense but, our favorite instructors have all been ladies...Its the guys who screw us up! I guess a good lady knows what she wants from a guy....;)

However, I thought of another good male instructor. Some others have mentioned DF's own Josh. He is a great instructor with excellent technical skills. I would recommend him as well. I've seen him working with couples and he's great with them.

A side note... we have the same coach....a female!
  10. reb

reb Active Member

Good suggestion.