Loosen up dancing in clubs

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by horseplaypen, Aug 16, 2004.

1. horseplaypen

horseplaypen New Member

I feel like a total nerd posting this, but it's my friend's birthday party next week and we're all going to a club for 80's night. I've been to clubs before and usually I am glued to the wall nursing a cranberry and vodka because I can't dance. Actually that's not true - I quit ballet only a couple of years ago so I know I have a sense of rhythm, but as soon as I get onto a dance floor I look like a tree, or a piece of cardboard. I just stand there and bop my head and maybe shuffle my feet - I can't really break out the pas de chat listening to Blondie, or as is more common in clubs, hip hop. I'm pretty self conscious at these trendy, outrageoously skanky clubs. Like I said, I'm a nerd.

I've read the club dancing index and it's extremely useful... but does anyone have any tips for girls? I've become pretty good at the grinding maneuver but I still don't know what I'm supposed to be doing with my hands. And I probably won't be dancing with a partner in any case, as my boyfriend will be in absentia. I'm sorry if there's nothing new anyone can offer and I started this thread for nothing, but any advice or hints or tips or matrix-like chips where I can instantly learn to dance would be appreciated.
  2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Welcome, Horseplaypen!
    Have you taken a look at some of the photos in the photo album yet? Look in the members' gallery and there are some shots of the girls dancing at clubs & the like.
  3. Tasek

Tasek New Member

We're working on one of those, but we're still having some 'voltage problems' with the prototype, so you won't be wanting to use it just yet. ;)

As far as your problem goes, I don't think I could give you much more information then you've already learned through the index, but I will repeat some things that have been said before.

Just do it!
    As long as you stay on beat and have a smile on your face it doesn't really matter what you do!
    All the other people in the club don't care about how you dance, they're too busy wondering what all the other people (including you) think about their dancing!
    As long as you don't overdo it, a little liquid courage doesn't hurt.

And remember, DF will be rooting for you, as we do for any new dancer.