Love N' Dancing New Movie, More West Coast Swing interest?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by BLong206b, May 2, 2009.

1. BLong206b

BLong206b New Member

Anyone think the new West Coast Swing movie will boost WCS popularity in the general public?

Tom Malloy, Amy Smart, Billy Zane.

Jordan and Tatiana etc. should be pretty happy.

2. jacklyn

jacklyn New Member

I saw the premiere in Atlanta this past Thursday! It was awesome! I really hope people will enjoy it, the dancing in the movie was phenomenal!

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I just received an email announcing a car pool ride to the Phoenix area for the opening of this movie at a local theater this next weekend to be followed by going to a WCS dance afterward. I think I heard about this movie, but didn't know it was about WCS dancing, how cool! :cool:

But as with all movies I want to see I'll wait until it is released on DVD.

With a movie such as this along with the other dancing movies that have been made these last few years I'm guessing that dancing has seen a surge in popularity, probably in part due to these movies.

4. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I'm not positive but I think the movie was filmed in Phoenix.

I'm looking forward to seeing it!

5. Spitfire

I replied to the email asking about that. I'm going down there myself next weekend for the next USAdance chapter party.

6. Spitfire

I just read that it was filmed in Albuquerque.

7. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who's seen the movie? Not a good sign. Word is that this is a limited release so that they can look at the box office and whether to go for a wider theatrical release.

It was so much like going dancing here in Orange County, because in the US Open open-dancing scenes I recognized so many of the dancers. I think they must have recruited their extras from here. A group of us went to see it with Carrie Lucas, who was one of the social dancers -- when it opens with a close-up of the dancers' feet, one girl recognized Carrie's shoes and Carrie confirmed that those were her legs.

While Google'ing for showtimes, I found some reviews that complained about a "clunky love story", but that's de rigueur for dance movies. Besides, I didn't find it "clunky".

8. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

It's not playing near me. I'll be keeping an eye out for it and hope it comes around.

9. Spitfire

I'm told by those who have seen it that it's excellent.

10. kayak

kayak Active Member

We went to Albuquerque to be filler dancers. I know several people that had enough video shot of them to make the credits. I think we are just in the crowd someplace. It was kind of a fun weekend. They did two weekends, but we could only go for one of them.

I think they only released the movie in four cities this past weekend and were waiting to see the response before putting out to a broader range?

11. Spitfire

Kayak, where in Albuquerque was this portion filmed?

12. kayak

kayak Active Member

A place called the Caravan East. The movie part was kind of interesting, but mainly we had fun dancing with each other while the pros were off doing their thing.

13. RickRS

RickRS Member

I can't find it playing in my area. RottomTomatoes.com has only ten critics that has seen it, so, with a very limited opening, this suggest a weak promotion by the studio. Unless the ticket sales excite the suits, this one may just move over to a early DVD release and few outside the dance community may see it.

14. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Strange. From the trailer, it looked like Philly. :confused:

15. kayak

kayak Active Member

The story isn't set around NM. However, I think the NM area has a bring business in effort going. So I suspect the producers of the movie got some nice incentives. Plus, the core dancers that made the movie have pretty good NM ties.

16. RickRS

RickRS Member

Found the movie preview clip on youtube:

17. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

18. RickRS

RickRS Member

I'm embarrassed :oops:. Seems I'm letting mis-spellings or complete misuse of a word slip into my messages way too much, nowadays. How RottenTomatoes.com became RottomTomatoes.com....

19. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

How strange to have aerial shots of Philly but street shots of Albuquerque. Does it make sense to have a WCS movie in Philly, either?

20. kayak

kayak Active Member

Probably makes as much sense as HS teacher who has never danced instantly becoming world champion. Kind of like the Aspen Extreme movie for girls :)