Love N Dancing

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by DanceMentor, Oct 31, 2007.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Anyone heard about the new Love N Dancing movie coming out. It has Benji Schwimmer and Gary McIntire in it as well as many other great dancers who helped out including Rex Jones and his partner Rachel. It's a true story about a deaf West Coast Swing dancer (Doss). Rex showed me the trailer tonight, and I think it has possibilities of being a great movie.

I've become pretty good friends with Rex and Rachel who helped in the movie for 3 weeks. You can see some of their videos and pics here:
    Rex and Rachel's Myspace page
    Rex and Rachel's Website

2. kayak

kayak Active Member

Actually, I went down to New Mexico to be part of the extras in the movie. It was kind of fun. There was lots of downtime, but it was interesting to see how a movie is made. There was a lot of fun social dancing and a whole bunch of the swing and country pros were there and willing to dance.

3. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

It's being produced by Robert Royston and his wife Nicola is one of the main actors in the movie. It stars Amy Smart. Should be a pretty cool movie!

A bunch of WCS pros are in it, including Jordan/Tat...

4. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

I was at the Virginia State Open this month and was in a workshop with Robert and Nicola. They said the movie was expected to open next year.

5. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

No, it is not a true story. Nor is it based on a true story. Doss did use a deaf dancer as inspiration to build a story around.

6. cmcmcmcm

cmcmcmcm New Member

It is definitely not a true story. Tom Malloy met the deaf dancer Doss and it inspired him to write a script. The story is purely fiction. Tom and Robert Royston are the two that are responsible for bringing this story to fruition. Nicola is a supporting actress in the movie and she does a great job. Tom is the writer/producer/lead actor opposite Amy Smart. The dancing is phenomenal. Absolutely beyond belief. Check out the website at www.lovendancing.com They even have a clip of Jordan and Tatiana doing a sample of West Coast Swing. It is not a clip from the movie, just something to show non-dancers what the dance is about. I've heard that the trailer isn't ready yet.... can't wait to see it when it is.

7. kayak

kayak Active Member

Cool, they updated their website since the August shoot.

8. wcsjon

wcsjon New Member

I was in New Mexico as well with my partner to be extras, along with two country Pros from here. The dancing is going to be wonderful in the movie. At one time, the website did say that it was based on J. Doss, however it no longer says that, and from what I saw there, and knowing J. Doss, the character is nothing like him. I'm not saying that's good or bad, I think it will work well for the screen. :)
    I'm excited and trying to wait patiently for the release :)

9. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Swing Dancer Magazine has an article up about the movie - it was written by one of the extras about her experience on set.

We also have two new photos that you won't find on the official site or mySpace page!

http://swing-dancer.com/page.php?84

10. sweetlou1

sweetlou1 New Member

cool.... its amazing to dance like this in these events..... everybody loves to dance nomatter that they know or not that how to dance... bt the dance is in everybody.......

11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Anyone any update as to when this will be opening this year?

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I saw the title of your post but had not heard of the movie. I must admit I was a bit disappointed.

Love and dancing. Now there are two words that go straight to a woman's heart.... I might just get the movie for the title... Its up there with 'An officer and a gentleman...' Swoon.

13. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

I've seen a couple different sites (including star Tom Malloy's site) that said the film will open for summer.

14. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

They've been doing previews out in LA. There isno release date as of yet - but summer is a logical assumption at the moment.

15. Tonya4WCS

Tonya4WCS New Member

Yes - I have heard of this movie. Jeremy Doss is an amazing talent and was my very first WCS dance instructor. He was legally deaf and had to have the music pretty loud so that he could feel the down beats. I learned so much from him but the best thing I ever learned is that I have to look as if I "dig" whatever my partner is doing on the dance floor. He told me that if he can't keep his partner's interest then how is anyone else going to want to watch. So, when I started to teach that was something that I always emphasized - be into whatever your partner is doing (lead or follow).

This movie has been in the make for some time. When it does finally come out - please post what you thought of it.

If you would like more insight to Jeremy Doss, check out jeremydossart.com

Not only an amazing dancer but a talented painter as well.

16. Tonya4WCS

Tonya4WCS New Member

Jeremy Doss was my first dance instructor. Roughly what I know about him: He is legally deaf, he started to dance at 15 by 16 he was competing and teaching, by 20 he was judging competitions. He would have to have the music really loud to be able to feel the rythm. He danced off of the woman - which means that he never "outdanced" his partner and he could dance with a woman with no dance experience and make her look like a star. Unfortunately - he has taken a different route in The Arts and is now an incredible painter.

Not only is he an incredible dancer but a true and true southern gentleman, great pianist, outstanding taxidermist (I know, right), phenominal painter (he has had no professional instruction), and a top notch Dad and husband. Most of his portraits of people are his family.

What I learned from Jeremy Doss:
    - You can never be in a bad mood on the dance floor
    - To "sell" a dance you have to look like you are "into" whatever your dance partner is doing. If my leader can't keep my attention then how will on-lookers want to watch?

The biggest shame is that there is no footage of him on YouTube. I'm telling you - he would make ballrooms erupt during competitions. If I ever find the video tapes of us - I will post to YouTube.

So - no - Doss never made it to the Big, Big Time in dance but he most certainly left his mark with those who have seen him. Luckily for me, I had nearly three years with him.

17. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

Sign me up!

<-- swoons also

18. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

They have this film at Movie Madness (very large indpendent video store that is near legendary out here) in Portland, I noticed. Picked it up yesterday.

Here's some info from one of the main characters in the film, in the role of teacher and former champion (not exact quote but close enough)
    Dean Collins is the father of West Coast Swing and it started because they asked him to dance in a straight line for the cameras.
    Wonder who wrote that one?

Anyhow, here's another view from someone who is very highly respected in the swing world, knew Dean and danced with him.

"in NO way did his dance contribute to West Coast Swing."

"Dean is probably rolling in his grave hearing people refer to him as being instrumental in
    West Coast development. He HATED the idea of West Coast Swing. He wanted a
    STRONG pull away at the beginning of each pattern."

19. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Oh, hey, kayak, you're still around, aren't you? And anyone else, too.
    Did you make it into the film?
    If so, where can I see you?

20. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

It sounds great. I am looking forward to watching it.