MAC 2014

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by 5678dance, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

So glad it's back in the manhattan center!!
    jerseydancer and ChaChaMama like this.
  2. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Ticket sales as well as registration just opened today! :)
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  3. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

• Competitor Entries include Ballroom Access only for sessions danced. For events taking place across multiple sessions entry will be provided for all sessions.
    So, if you don't make it to the Semi-Final, you still have entry for that session.
    dlliba10 and Bailamosdance like this.
  4. middy

middy Well-Known Member

5. Bailamosdance

Well played, MAC. Also solves the problem that the nationals has... Filling the seats. We danced Los Angeles and the low energy and the policy of exclusion of the audience is making us reconsider going out there again.

Hopefully other comps will 'get' the fact that the more folks in the ballroom the better the comp... That door entry fees should not always be the first way to make money at a competition.
  6. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Excuse me..... but we have had this same policy at Nationals for the past 5 or 6 years. Any event where the event is split between the Matinee and the Evening sessions, the competitors who were registered to dance in those events, have ALWAYS received admission into the ballroom for both sessions!
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  7. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Sorry, the policy just never affected me personally. Should have read the webpage more carefully.

Also, MAC definitely does not have an audience problem...
  8. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

No worries - that page hadn't been up long. It stealth released as I posted.
  9. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Agreed! :)

Always a good sized and enthusiastic audience!
  10. Bailamosdance

Cool! Praise again the Mac. Perhaps then this should be a policy at the nationals... TO have mostly finals in the evening, with prelims daytime, getting everyone squeezed in to watch at night? Just a suggestion.
  11. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

Events have different schedules all the time. However Nationals and other major events have done similar splits for years, which is where the inspiration for this schedule change at MAC came from. There are advantages and disadvantages to every scheduling option, we're hoping this works better for us, as our evenings have been getting later, and we are still trying to have all our championship events in the evening which is harder and harder to maintain.
  12. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

MAC 2014, along with all of USA Dance will be using the new senior age categories.

Essentially - one partner must be qualified as per the old rules, and the other partner must at least be within 5 years of the old age cutoff.
  13. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

Having MOS events on days opposite of their syllabus events... Wondering what the thought behind this scheduling decision. I can see it as giving a break to the dancers by not having to do 3 Latin/Ballroom events the same day, but on the other hand people may not stay an extra day to dance MOS. I actually danced 5 events on Friday last year, and was exhausted when the MOS final came around after midnight I think, so it would have been nice to have the extra day, but if I was only dancing one style, I don't think I would have stayed both days.
  14. syncopationator

That's too bad, we could have had a QF for prechamp and champ if it was on Saturday. Hopefully we still get a healthy semi.
    5678dance likes this.
  15. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

I'll probably dance MoS Standard now that it's on a different night than Champ. I wouldn't have considered it if it were on the same night like before.
    middy likes this.
  16. syncopationator

You do get more open standard competitors participating in MOS, but not in Latin. I hope I'm was wrong because I'm a big supporter of these type of events.
    dlliba10 and middy like this.
  17. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

The last time I competed MoS Latin at MAC was in 2012, and I don't remember many, if any, actual Open Latin couples participating at all. I can't remember if it was the same this past year -- sync, did you and smidra dance it?
  18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the website? Or is it just me...
  19. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

20. syncopationator

yes we did, we had some novice and prechamp latin couples in the final.