MAC 2014

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by 5678dance, Aug 30, 2013.

1. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Thanks! :D 3rd in the Novice final out of a semi and 6th in the Prechamp final out of a quarterfinal. Mandicraft played it super coy when she was letting me know, and there may or may not have been tears, screams, jumps, and hugs that she says she wishes she got on tape. It was super emotional for us -- just a year ago at last year's MAC we couldn't make it out of a shallow 8 couple semi into the Prechamp final. And now, here we are, qualified for both Novice and Prechamp. Nationals, here we come. <3

Aside from all the personal stuff, the quality of dancing this year at the evening events was absolutely off the charts. Champ Latin certainly didn't disappoint -- I love watching Pasha and Anastasiya whenever I'm lucky enough to, and Jason Dai was unrecognizable (in a good way) with his new partner. Also, a big Taras and Tatiana fan, so I'm very happy they won Champ Standard.

The American styles were freaking insane, though (again in a good way). Everyone was absolutely on fire in the Champ Smooth and Rhythm finals. The former got me revved up by seeing just how far my own partner and I can go -- so many different stylings and choreographic choices made the final inspiring to watch (plus, I got some kicka** photos). The latter especially made me proud to call myself an American style dancer. Sharp, crisp, original (even if there were some ... idiosyncratic choreography choices), and it was a hard-fought battle between 1 and 2 (results were 1-2-1-1-2 to 2-1-2-2-1). Based on immediate feedback on Facebook and personal conversations, the quality of dancing in the Rhythm final really bumped up a notch, and it'll be exciting to see what happens in the coming months, especially at Nationals.
    smidra86, ChaChaMama and ajiboyet like this.
  2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I wasn't there, but based on o2cm, he and middy tore it up in open smooth!
    dlliba10 and ajiboyet like this.
  3. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I was impressed with the Amateur Smooth and Rhythm. These divisions have improved alot since I last saw them. I thought the Amateur Senior Smooth division also improved alot. Of course the Amateur Latin and Standard were good as always. I like Jason's Dia's new partner and Milana Lazareva in Amateur Champ Rhythm!
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  4. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Agreed! Allen and Milana are one of my favorite rhythm/Latin couples!
    5678dance likes this.
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Justin Lin & Sasha Dubinsky impressed me in Youth Standard. Super dynamic young couple. I didn't stick around to see the final, but was disappointed to see them only place 2nd, although I see the marks were close.
    I thought the music was excellent overall.
    Still not a fan of tulle skirts in Standard. They're almost always poorly designed and constructed. The seam should definitely below the lady's butt, because if it's higher than that, it just makes her butt look bigger when it inevitably poofs out at the seam, because the construction isn't right. The skirts I see are all gathered at that seam, which is why they poof out--IMO tulle needs a flat seam there. Then there's the fact that they often just look like someone dragged their 50 year old prom dress out of the closet.
  6. dlliba10

Completely agree. Better music makes for better dancing, and I really think the excellent music choices helped buoy us throughout all our rounds.
  7. elle

elle Member

Want to thank organizers for the great experience, very well-picked music, all work and efforts to bring a great event! Maybe next time it would be nice to have a discount on the evening part tickets if the first rounds of an event are during the matinee and the rest in the evening. $75 was too much and many people cheering for couples did not stay. So maybe a ticket for matinee will allow to buy 50% off for the evening? And also it would be nice to have "standing tickets", so everyone can bring even more people from "outside" of "dancing world craziness"? Just thoughts.
  8. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

David Innis, IIRC, the best music man in the biz.
    dlliba10 likes this.
  9. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Had a great time! Nice to finally meet some DF-ers in person. The champ Latin final was especially strong.

One question - why did Friday night run soooo much later (ended around 1:25 am) than Saturday night? It was rather unbalanced.
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Because they started at 9 on Friday and 8 on Saturday, yet didn't adjust the number of events to balance the finish times.
  11. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

FYI - this was the third year MAC had a Friday Matinee Session, and since its creation the competitor counts on Friday had been low enough that there wasn't an anticipated need for the extra time. In fact based on recent history - the original plan was to start at 10AM and still end on a more reasonable schedule.

Needless to say, Friday should be scheduled as a full size competition day from next year...
  12. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

One great thing about the MAC (and actually all other comps) is that it is 'open to all'. We love the idea that we do multiple rounds etc. One of the reasons that the Nationals, by contrast, is much less fun is that since it only allows a percentage of possible entrants, you get smaller fields and less competition. The MAC had big fields and lots of people in the ballroom at all times - another success story for the MAC...
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  13. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

What happened to Jason Chao Dai and Anna Tabolina? I have seen them dancing in the final, and I thought, I have seen them during the final awards, but the Adult Champ Final ony shows 5 couples
  14. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I was wondering about that too...were they disqualified or was it some computer error?
  15. dlliba10

Definitely saw them announced as 4th for Champ Latin. Curious that they're not showing up on o2cm, but there were a few other o2cm problems that evening (including a boo-boo with the placements for Champ Smooth as they were announced).
  16. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I noticed it too. The picture posted on his studio's Facebook page of the presentation of awards clearly showed him in fourth place. Neither o2cm nor DancesportInfo (who sources their information from o2cm, I think) had him listed though. Somebody else was listed in fourth place.

I think it's more likely that someone somewhere or the system made a mistake, than that a the wrong people are up on the podium.