Makeup and TSA regulations

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tanya_the_dancer, Jun 23, 2010.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I am trying to avoid having to check the bag. How do I figure out which makeup counts as liquid?

I have: powder foundation, powder eyeshadows, powder blush, cream concealer, lipstick wand, mascara, tube of eyelash glue, eyelashes. Plus I need to put contacts liquid in that bag, and ideally some makeup remover. So which ones of the above items do not have to go into that clear ziplock?
  2. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

The cream concealer and eyelash glue for sure, as well as the makeup remover. The lipstick and mascara could be considered a liquid, so you might as well put them in the bag to be safe.
  3. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Thanks! So powder stuff is not considered dangerous, I guess?
  4. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

You might buy some of those pre-moistened make-up remover cloths. I don't think they would be considered a liquid.
  5. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

Nope, powder is fine. :)

I used to work at Starbucks in the airport so I had to go through security every day. Even we aren't allowed to take liquids through. One day I spaced and brought a soda with my lunch. Thrown away. Another day I brought a yogurt, not even thinking of it as a a liquid. Thrown away. :/
  6. Nazar

Nazar Member

as long as I remember, there are 3 oz limit for liquids, so basically everything under that amount can be allowed on the plane as carry-on. Just two weeks ago, flying to Chicago we were running very late, so my wife had to put her makeup on the plane. there were no problems getting all the stuff except few things that exceeded 3oz amount on board.

BTW, one of the reasons I don't like to check bags is, of course $20-30 fee per bag one-way. To avoid that, since I'm mostly flying Delta, I've got Gold AMEX delta credit card. The annual fee is $95, but the great feature is that cardholder and up to 8 friends travelling with him can check first bag for free, so if the first bag fee is about $25 , roundtrip expense will be $50.After second flight you already in "profit":)
    P.S. it is not a commercial:)
  7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

The makeup in my purse stays in my purse, I have never been bothered to put iany of it into a ziplock. I have liquid lipstick, liquid eyeliner, lip gloss, concealer, in addition to powdered eyeshadow.
  8. Lol I do the opposite of what Larinda does. Everything goes in the ziplock bag, even though the powdered stuff doesn't have to. I don't wear any makeup outside of competitions, so I just use the ziplock bag as my competition makeup kit :D
  9. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Ahah! Good idea!
  10. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

you just lucky. i did the same for a long time and there was a TSA lady in the bad mood, after seeing my make up in my purse, not on the belt in the plastic bag, she pulled me aside and went thru every little item in every small carry on i had, it almost made me late for my flight
  11. jerseydancer

BTW eye contact solution considered to be medical supplies and could be in another small bag, i put it in another small bag with creams for muscle pain and pain pills
  12. jerseydancer

powder foundation, powder eyeshadows, powder blush, and eyelashes do not have to go into that clear ziplock, the rest is on your own risk. sometimes they let it go thru sometimes not, depends if TSA men had a good meal beforehand, or if TSA lady likes your smile or not
  13. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I do the above for domestic flights, I only encounter the problem once, a TSA lady opened the my makeup bag and snooped into every single item, it appears she had no any prior experience with makeup, thus very curious of the powered or creamy eye shadow in my bag. She just warned me next time, creamy items such as creamy eye shadow and liquid liner have to be in ziplock bag.

For International flight I always put away the following: liquid liner, false lash glue, lip gloss, liquid foundation, creamy concealer and any powered items.