Making Dresses (nude elastics)

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by danceislove, Jun 5, 2007.

1. danceislove

danceislove New Member

I need help :rolleyes:
    I cannot find flesh colored elastic to construct the back of a bra for a latin dress I'm making. Does anyone know where I could find these? I've looked on ebay and checked at my local Joanne Fabrics, no luck. This is basically what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

2. Laura

Laura New Member

I generally cover elastic with nude colored fabric. I like that look better, personally. So, if you can't find the elastic, you could try that.

3. danceislove

danceislove New Member

So you just take regular old elastic and sew nude lycra onto it? Where do you find the really good tan lycra? All I've been able to find is this kind of gross ivory stuff they call nude lol

4. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Cannibalize pantyhose. Yeah, it's sheer so you'll have to wrap it around a few times for decent coverage, but it works if you can't find good nude/tan lycra.

5. Laura

Laura New Member

I found very nice nude lycra at JoAnne fabrics a while ago. I think they were selling it as swimsuit lining, but I didn't care. I bought the whole bolt when I saw it.

I know what you mean about the gross ivory stuff, and this definitely wasn't it.

You can also check out www.trim-it-uk dot com, my sewing buddy swears by their "American Tan" color. The stuff I got at JoAnne is between Trim It's "Flesh" and "Nude" colors.

In general, it really helps to find fabric stores that aren't JoAnne. JoAnne caters to a very middle-of-the-road, mass-market audience. I bet that DenverFabrics dot com would have something. Also, Google for web sites that sell stuff to make ice skating costumes. There are zillions more ice skaters out there than ballroom dancers, but the same kinds of materials go into both types of costumes.

6. rinachick

rinachick New Member

nude elastic

A trick that has been done countless times in my experience with ballet costumes is you wipe liquid foundation on the white elastics. It doesn't come off easily (so you won't have to worry about it running onto your skin), and you can make sure it's actually a nude that matches your skin tone.

7. liz

liz New Member

ditto, that is what I was going to say.:)

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

now that is a clever solution...

9. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Dye the elastic with tea bags. After all, you'll be tan when you wear the dress, right? Oddly enough, it matches the fake tan perfectly. (doesn't say much for the color of our tans, does it? :p)

You just brew really strong tea, like 4-5 bags to a quart or whatever, and soak the elastic in the tea for a couple of hours. Rinse it out, let it dry and then sew with it. Voila!

I know of people who dye their dance shoes using this method as well.

I've seen the suntan colored pantyhose used also. Pantyhose are not made to last forever so you will need to replace it but it will last for years before you have to do it.

10. Merrylegs

Yes! What is that stuff called, super-mesh? Super flesh? Seriously, it's something like that.

11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure we've had a thread on this before....let me see if I can dig it up.

12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Ah yes, a search brings up at least three different threads with flesh coloured elastic as the subject. However I specifically remembered this one thread:

http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=12783

because it had many methods mentioned AND it had a great step by step by Laetitia (on second page) on how to make your own flesh colored elastic (with material covering the elastic as you see on pro costumes).

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Powernet?

14. Merrylegs

Yes, that's it. Thanks, Joe! Did I really say super flesh? Ha Ha Ha!!!

15. 9dncr

9dncr New Member