male freestyle disco dancers needed for university work!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by natasha-1992, Dec 3, 2012.

1. natasha-1992

natasha-1992 New Member

Hi!

My name is Natasha and im from the UK. Im currently completing my final years work for university & i am completing a study on the experiences of male freestyle disco dancers. If you are or know anybody who is and would be interested in this, please contact me!

thanks xx
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Is there such a thing these days as "freestyle" disco dancers?
  3. natasha-1992

natasha-1992 New Member

In reality, probably not. Alot of dance stems from the same origins. I was previously a freestyle disco dancer so thats where the interest comes from. I am willing to speak to contemporary male dancers also.
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

This board is for ballroom, salsa, tango, and swing dancers.
  5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi natasha, I am very sceptical too, about that "freestyle disco dancers" will discuss, post or communicate about their dancing in a forum or group, at all. There are forums for "freestyle street dancers" and almost any other sort of dancers, but none for the kind you are looking for. There also is no internet forum for illiterates. Freestyle disco dancing is kind of an unscientific or better pre-scientific stage. It´s transmitted analog, not by digits or any concept. I´m pretty sure that girls copy what their sister shows them and boys possibly even catch up something by watching YT-vids. Perhaps try with a banner in an online dating site or buy a drink for any "freestyle disco dancer" who gets himself into your survey on-site, or simply visit schoolyards.
  6. tancos

tancos Active Member

I'm a folkdancer, read this board frequently, and have posted from time to time over the last couple of years. I'm sorry to hear that this is only for ballroom, salsa, tango, and swing dancers.
  7. Larinda McRaven

Even with out a specific forum for folk, and we are glad you are here. But this forums is clearly geared towards Ballroom Swing, Salsa, Tango, and Country Western...those are the exact forums we offer.

PARTNER DANCES, dances centered around touching other people. And clearly I can see the similarity between folk dances and ballroom/latin.

So calling out trolls by pointing out that they don't even bother to understand what board they are trolling is not meant as an insult to the members that do participate here regardless of chosen styles.

I don't think freestyle disco fits our board.

Nor contemporary.

Neither of these styles is even remotely close to what this board is centered around. NOR are they even close to EACH OTHER!! OP even says she doubts freestyle disco dancers even exit. Then says she was one previously... like what? And how long ago could you have been "previously a dancer" when you 20 years old and in uni?
  8. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

I am continually amazed at the similarities between West Coast Swing and many of the Hungarian dances (and other folk dances, when you dig deeper). Despite their obvious differences, DH and I constantly find that learning one aids our understanding of the other.

So, yeah, I think folk dance has a place here. (And, as an aside, I've been pondering whether to respond to the article in the current "Let's Dance" magazine proposing that organizers increase the number of partner dances at folk dance events.)
  9. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Larinda,

I commend you for finding a video showing a nice basic Mezosegi (the first 40 seconds or so of the video) as an example of a partnered dance where the interactions between the leader and follower are obvious.

The basic footwork is either "walk, walk" or "triple step", and the leader determines which to use at any particular moment (as in WCS).
    samina likes this.
  10. Larinda McRaven

Yes, the first half of the video showed very clearly the similarities I was looking for. Seems the same could be said for two-step, crossing back and forth from walk walk to triple step. Thank you, now I have a name to go with that dance!

Years ago I did a showdance number for a ballroom competition with another teacher, Tibor Kerekes. He wanted to incorporate Hungarian folk dancing... and he pretty much looked like the three guys in the middle half of the video, slapping their feet... and I snapped my fingers while tripling back and forth like the three girls. It was a ton of fun, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but it was fun!!!
  11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Funny. I didn't see the OP as troll-ish at all. Just a little self-absorbed in the way many of us were, back in our uni days. You know the type of thread. In DF, it looks like starting ones own "Hello, I'm new here. You may all say hello to me now." thread. It's not malicious. It's just not thinking about the fact that, in a forum with almost a million entries, it might be worth reading a few before posting something that may or may not be relevant. That's not trolling, IMV. That's just being young.

But that said, I think this thread has a lot of potential. I have always thought that DF's philosophy was both strong and weak. DF's core competency is well defined. Partner dance. That's strong. And good. And necessary. But I think that the definition of partner dance can be fluid in real life but that, in DF, it can be relatively narrow.

The folk dance above illustrates that to me very well. Just because you're not dancing one of the ten or nineteen or whatever dances doesn't mean that there's no partnership involved. Just sayin.
    danceronice likes this.
  12. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

as I recall, all the best freestyle disco dancers were Northern Soul dancers.

13. jfm

jfm Active Member

Larinda,
    over here in the UK there is a very competitive freestyle scene for kids, she could easily have been a competitive dancer at aged 10 and have given up while at high school.
    4 years is a long time when that's a 5th of your life.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...een-dancing-children-collapse-exhaustion.html

Also she doesn't say that they don't exist, she responds to a slightly dismissive comment in a british way to deflect further unpleasantness-agree with them.

I don't think it's trolling, she just didn't realise that this was 'partner dancing only'. I think the aggressive response to her and then to tancos was a bit uncalled for.
  14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! Thanks for the link, jfm. I'm still processing it, but wow. Some of the photos are startling to me. Wow.
  15. Larinda McRaven

I don't see anything aggressive about a simple sentence informing someone we are a partner dance site, especially when they were asking about non-partner dancing. That's kind of my job. Someone walking into Verizon and asking for teapots might receive the same answer.

Which surprised me that Tancos response was defensive, and I spend the better part of my time that evening finding examples of how I appreciate their interest in folk dancing, (Hungarian to boot, as I have a fair amount of immersion in Hungarian culture). I actually thanked them for their membership.
    dbk and Bailamosdance like this.
  16. tancos

tancos Active Member

Not defensive, disappointed. This is the General Dance Discussion thread, which should cover anything related to dance including freestyle disco if someone wants to talk about it. There are a lot of forms of dance in this world, a point that hasn't occured to a lot of the self absorbed (in my opinion) ballroom dancers. As for non-partner dancing, aren't some of the country western dances line dances? Why not discuss Bulgarian line dances if someone is interested?

FYI -- In the Hungarian clip the first part is, as Zhena pointed out, a dance from the Mezoseg region of Transylvania (historically Hungarian but taken by Romania after World War 1) specifically the village of Magyarpalatka. The following dances are from the Dunantul region in Southwestern Hungary.