Manhattan Dancesport Championship 2012

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dance Forums, May 23, 2012.

1. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Ily, group field trip for the IDB-ers? Only five hours away! :p

2. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

It's getting close. Can't wait !

3. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

Neither can I. I believe we have 54 Supershaggers going this year.

Chris.

BTW does anyone know anything about Whytes hotel in Brooklyn

4. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Can't wait to see it.

5. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Dancing rhythm on July 4th!

6. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Chris, Whytes is brand new. Perhaps you are already familiar with the geography but in case you are not, it would be a taxi ride from Whytes in Williamsburg to the comp (no direct subway line between the two neighborhoods and too far to walk).

7. chrisjohnston

Do they have a cool bar or restaurant that would be good for taking a group of studnets.

Thank you so much for he info.

Chris

8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Planning to drop by on Friday to say hi! Since I'll be in the area, why not?

9. New in NY

New in NY New Member

I have not been there yet myself, but I understand there is both a restaurant and a rooftop bar. I believe I read a good review in gothamist dot com. The owner runs another restaurant in the area, Marlow & Sons. You may want to ask the hotel to send a menu to you so you can check the price range of the entrees. (I would expect bar cocktails to be about $10-12.) There are a lot of restaurants in Williamsburg (for better or worse, known as Brooklyn's hipster central). On line, chowhound and grub street are generally good sources for opinions and reviews. Also NY mag dot com. Have fun.

10. chrisjohnston

This is great New in NY.The hotel web-site is really bad but the rooftop bar sounds right up my alley.Once again thanks

see you on Friday then Danceronice.

Cheers

Chris

11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

oooooh, wonderful! Hooray! and all that!

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Isn't any bar basically up your alley? ;)

13. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

thanks, j_a! will you be around??

14. chrisjohnston

Believe it or not I actually do not like bars in general .I think it is because I am usually running a party when I am in one .What I like is somewhere that reminds me of my home.So at home I have a roof deck that looks across Boston harbour at downtown Boston.That is why a roof top bar in Williamsburg would appear to be right up my alley.
    So on that note does anybody have any more suggestions of places that are outside and have an interesting view.

Cheers Chris

15. New in NY

New in NY New Member

If you are planning to spend time in Manhattan, there are loads of fun and trendy rooftop bars. Go to nymag dot com and you can search specifically by rooftop & bar (or restaurant). In Brooklyn, there are a few places with small outdoor dining areas and even fewer rooftop areas. I can think of Alma, a Mexican restaurant by the waterfront which has a rooftop bar and Berry Park in Williamsubrg which is a casual restaurant/bar with emphasis on the beer and sports TV, which also has a rooftop bar. FYI if you will be here for the first day of the comp on the 4th, the fireworks will be over the Hudson River on the west side of Manhattan, not the East River, so they will not be visible from Brooklyn, although there will be smaller fireworks in various areas of Brooklyn and NJ that you may be able to see depending on where you are.

16. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Does anyone know when open standard starts on Friday night? Perhaps from prior years' experience?...

Thanks much!

17. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Last year we started around 9.

18. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Planning on coming in on Thurs for the Smooth. Will you be there?

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

perhaps we will get around to that Jeramiah Weed afterall...

20. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Not too crazy far from the Brooklyn Marriott is the Sheraton & Aloft Brooklyn. They have a rooftop bar called the Brooklyn Terrace that has some great views of downtown Manhattan. I haven't personally been, but I've heard it's nice.