Manhattan Dancesport Championships - 2008

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by cy_phi, Jun 13, 2008.

1. cy_phi

cy_phi Member

What??? No thread on this comp yet? It's one of the best comps of the year!

FYI, got word from a fellow dancer that the discounted rate for the Brooklyn Marriott is not available anymore as the rooms for the comp/group rate are all booked.

Discuss.
  2. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

yeah I got that too when I tried to book. now I may not go.
  3. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

MAYBE you can get another type of discount, e.g., AAA if you're a member. Sometimes the AAA rate is better than the comp rate.
  4. Laura

Laura New Member

AAA rate for this hotel during the comp is $279, far more than the comp rate. It pays to plan ahead! I always book the hotel well in advance when I think I'm going to a comp, so long as I can cancel without penalty if my plans change.

Anyway, yep I'm going...very excited!
  5. syncopationator

They should get a larger room block as it is one of the biggest competitions in the east coast.
  6. Laura

Laura New Member

Maybe "they" don't know it's sold out -- the hotel doesn't actually tell the organizers this when it happens. When NorCal ran Nationals in 2006 we had to "up" our room block (also at a Marriott) three times due to it selling out, and we only knew about it selling out when competitors called or emailed me to complain, or posted here. So try calling the organizers and telling them that the room block has sold out and see if they can help.
  7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Going to spectate!
  8. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

not sure if we'll dance this one, but definitely will go there Sunday night to watch pro standard:) always great dancing every year!
  9. syncopationator

Already contacted them. Hoping they can work it out.
  10. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

you totally should dance !! :)
  11. mamboqueen

You can always get a hotel in Jersey and commute over. It's not that bad, time-wise. I think most hotels in the Secaucus area have shuttles to the Port Authority, where you can then catch a subway to Brooklyn.
  12. Standarddancer

need to discuss with partner...we do 3 comps in June, bit tired...
  13. Katarzyna

hope you convince him, this one is the one to attend :) before any others i think :)
  14. Standarddancer

will see, thanks for suggestion...so you'll dance in your stunnning navy blue gown? :)
  15. Katarzyna

YES YES YES :)
  16. Standarddancer

great;) like this one a lot
  17. Josh

Josh Active Member

I will be going and dancing just a few heats in smooth and standard
  18. mamboqueen

What day(s)? Would love to finally get to meet you! :friend:
  19. mamboqueen

Actually so much of the competition is in the tri-state area....I think because of the holiday you may not get as many non-locals there. But I could be wrong. It just seemed it was mostly NY/NJ competitors when I was there.
  20. Gary McDonald

Gary McDonald New Member

The room blocked was increased this year by 20% as we sold out last year as well but we have never sold out this early. I talked with the hotel yesterday about adding a second room block which they are going to do sometime today or tomorrow. The rate won't be as low as $169 but it will be much better than the regular rate of $316. I would love to block out the whole hotel but if the rooms dont fill then the organizer is responsible for paying for them which is a bit of a scary risk. Thanks to all of you that continue to make this event such a success.