Manhattan Dancesport Championships - 2008

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by cy_phi, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

I tend to agree but I will also say "thank you." :)

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

See, now we have several posts of people of people wondering why Fads judges scores were totally out of whack... which is simply not true. There was only one FADS judge on that panel, and not even one that had a finger pointed at.

Discussions about judges are not bad on this forum. Unsubstantiated Accusations and Untrue Assumptions are BAD.

There is NO conspiracy of FADS judges against Barbara or Ilya.

And no, Dustin left the FADS chain probably 15 years ago. Lets stop making really bad assumptions and get the facts straight.

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Exactly. It is perpetuating the appearance of impropriety in the absence of factual information is unacceptable here at DF; not commenting on judging in general.

Yup, making such claims costs you credibility to begin with (which is your issue), but also has the potential for costing DF credibility -- which is why we do not approve of unsubstantiated speculations.

Hope that clarifies and explains.

4. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I wish I don't need to worry about costuming, makeup, hair updo (major hassle), tanning (hate this part most) etc and could focus only on dancing, unfortunately, images are important aspect of dancesport, that's why most ladies wear beautiful dresses and both men/lady well-groomed. Neat appearance gives good impression, although I see your point not to go crazy about image focusing on only dancing, also I have to say "thank you":)

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

see, i respect he grooming/dresses aspect of ballroom...in the sense that it reflects the evolving professionalism, sleekness, smoothness, and attention to detail that emerges for an accomplished dancer over time in her body mechanics and artistry...

for those that expect to win without paying attention to the grooming and dresses...well, it's all part of the package.

6. the_thunderbird52

the_thunderbird52 New Member

And this is exactly why i wanted to drop it in the first place.

7. the_thunderbird52

the_thunderbird52 New Member

I don't know how much dressing should count. I believe it should count for something. Especially "grooming". Personally, i wouldn't want to dance with someone who hadn't taken a shower in a week. On the other hand, just because one dress costs $4000.00, and another costs $3500.00, it should have no bearing on who would get a higher placement.

8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I actually think it would be really fun to have a comp where everyone just wore jeans and t-shirts (or at least more casual clothing) for a change, more natural looking hairstyles, and the skin colors that they were born with. Just me, probably.

There's nothing "authentically" Latin American about the comp look. In fact, I think my natural hair style is probably more reflective of a typical Chicana!

I agree with Standarddancer, though. Realistic point of view. I just think people could be neat without being so...well, comp-ed out!

9. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I spent several hrs in the vendor area on Sunday. I saw only a few people in this period. I believe that I was the only one who opened the wallet. The scene was actually pathetic. Several vendors which were supposed to be there, such as Taka and Design to Shine, were not present. IMHO, the number of spectators during Open Standard Final was far fewer than previous yrs. Even though the room was quite packed in Saturday evening, many seats were unoccupied in Sunday evening. I do not know if this phenomenon is caused by the unfavorable economic condition, which may affect future competitions.

10. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

No, it's not just you. I know if comps were more casual, I'd probably compete more.

11. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

CC - Designs to Shine was there on Thursday and Friday, but never saw Taka...suppose Wednesday to Sunday is a long time to sit at a booth, particularly if people aren't shopping.

Vendor area was quiet on Thursday for the most part. My friend and I went over mid-afternoon after morning dancing and tried on some dresses. She bought some fun fringed pants and a top and I bought a new Latin dress...and yes, there was lots of sticker shock. My mom came to watch me dance and was there when I bought the dress - her face looked a bit surprised to say the least, but she encouraged me to go ahead and get it...of course she wasn't paying ;)!

12. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Noticed there is like an hour gap in the sat night photos... I wonder if Park West will add the missing ones

13. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I know Taka was not there because I asked Bobby (Danz2000) about it. He said that it did not come. My friend was quite surprised at the dress prices, too. This is understandable considering the stone price. Dancing is getting expensive now.

14. njdancegirl

I had same thing on Thursday morning - the hour gap that is missing is when I danced. Haven't emailed to see yet...

15. njdancegirl

Hasn't it always been?!? Seems like it is keeping up with inflation just like everything else...

16. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of $189 shoes, so I'd like to think I did my part. :)
    (I was WAYYYYY overdue for a replacement, but I really NEED to try them on in person because I have annoyingly wide feet, and I didn't see a vendor at Yankee carrying Supadance...though I could be mistaken.)

That reminds me of something I really appreciated at Manhattan! I did not get to the comp as early as I had hoped on Saturday, despite leaving Maryland prior to 9 AM. (There was traffic, AND I needed to drop off child, AND then when I finally got there my room wasn't ready.) The upshot of this is that I only got to go to the Saturday night session, and I was having too much fun watching and chatting to even think about shopping then.

On Sunday, I thought I was going to have to buy a ticket into the ballroom if I wanted to look at shoes, since the vendors were in there instead of outside, but the very nice ticket people said they could hold my driver's license while I shopped instead. It only took my about 30 mins. to find what I needed.

P.S. Though I didn't buy shoes at Yankee, we did buy DH a new dance shirt and new dance pants (thanks dressgirl!) Am I profligate of late or what? Must be my midlife crisis kicking in.

17. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I think I did my part too by buying a $145 pair of Freeds. :wink:

18. Standarddancer

I've noticed this too, not sure if related to unfavorable economic condition, it used to be so packed in previous years. I was there hanging around Sunday night looking for familiar faces / DFers but didn't meet so many people. well, guess I missed you:( next time...:)

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It is called YCN. :D

20. Standarddancer

right:) but even for college comps I've seen pre-champ or champ dancers in full costume, well groomed...syllabus dancers tend to be more casual look maybe just because costume not required:)