Manhattan Dancesport Championships - 2008

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by cy_phi, Jun 13, 2008.

1. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

What is YCN? :confused:
  2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

youth collegiate network.. i think
  3. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Is it our event?
  4. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I think I'm too old for that category... :lol:
  5. Katarzyna

yes, I think its quarters and part of semis
  6. Katarzyna

well, those are just collegiate events but they are open to non college crowd
  7. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

You put it a lot more, uh, nicely than I would have. And, I have seen open level dancers competing in street clothes at college events.

Don't even get me started on what I have seen people wearing at these events...
  8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I hear you on the "too casual in the audience" thing.

I'll admit I felt a little irritable when I saw a 20-something sitting in the front row at USA Dance Nationals in jeans. I try to dress nicely for big events.

On the other hand, how did the following become normative for competitors in latin?
    -Super slicked back hair
    -Stage make-up and fake eyelashes (even though the tables at many hotel-based comps line the dance floor and I may therefore only be 8-10 feet away from the competitors).
    -Fake tans.
    -Fake nails.

I like competitors to look put together. I like competitors to wear clothes that show body action rather than concealing it, since that is kind of the point. (In fact, at Manhattan, I was complaining to another DFer about the untucked in, loose shirt look for male dancers, which I think looks sloppy.) But I think you can look classy and glamorous without going to the extremes one sometimes sees at comps.

This year during staging rehearsal for "The Vagina Monologues" (my 5th year in the cast!), our (fantastic!) producer told us that in order for our make-up to work on stage, we needed to put on what we would normally think of as a "bad drag queen" amount of make-up. That's true in a dark theater, where a spotlight is going to wash you out, and where some audience members are sitting way back in the balcony. But for a daytime pro-am session in a reasonably well-lit ballroom? From my admittedly very limited perspective, sometimes people go a little overboard.
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i agree...it should have nothing to do with cost. but professionalism and attention to detail, i would say yes, it should matter. and it does, i know, from listening to judge's feedback, not of self but of pros.
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that would be fun... it would be interesting to see whose dancing and personal magnetism shone through the casualness.

all rhinestones would have to be checked at the door... ;)
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you were there? i did not see you...
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ha... so you ended up going for it...:cool:

you're mom was adorable -- was so nice to meet her. did she enjoy???
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

what did i buy... <<hmmm... thinking>>... oh, yah, some expensive crystal AB velcro wraps for my wrists for my latin. and my first black ballroom dressing gown, which was so cozy-warm, way better than the pashminas i usually wrap myself up in. great value for $25.
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol... yep. i commented on my way home on saturday that the dressing room was filled with the cutest little brown girls at the end of the night.
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, i'm like 25 years too old...:rolleyes:
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thank goodness for the warm lighting at manhattan, cuz i did all that stuff for my first latin gig and it didn't look harsh. actually, my dress is so mellow compared to others at my level... i actually felt very under-dressed (as in not enuf glitz or sex-appeal in my costume). and my tan wasn't deep enuf. look how the aesthetic seeps into one's reality...:rolleyes:
  17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Oh, yes. But all it took for me to jump on the tan bandwagon was to see pictures from a daytime (NATURAL light, no less) competition where I didn't tan. I was chalk-white in pictures. No contrast at all. Now in the photos my eyes dont' even particularly look weird--they're just visible where, without makeup and false lashes, they weren't.

And yes, need more glitz..must have more shiney things. Anything that says "look at me!" If they only have ten seconds to look at me I want to draw their eye.

It's not just dancers, either-it's bleeding over!

http://domain1013792.sites.fasthosts.com/ebay2/CryTMGCB3.jpg

Yes, that is a show-jumper bridle. With rhinestones on the browband and cavesson. Yes, people are putting stones on their show horses. (Just in the jumper ring, though. The hunter people would probably have a collective heart attack.)
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

coool.

and yah, my back musta looked pasty despite the double-tan treatment. pro said it needs twice as much.
  19. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Hi, how have you been? In Sunday evening, I scanned the whole area with a binocular and I was happy to find you in the judge area diagonally opposite from me. It was too far for me to say Hi to you. Frustrated, I ordered a powerful megaphone upon coming home. Next time when I find you, I can say Hi to you through the megaphone no matter how far you will be. If you happened to see a crazy man waving a dancer's number written with falshing lights, it was me.
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol...no, did not see you. but love the image you have described. :)

will you be at cherry hill?