Manhattan Dancesport Championships - 2008

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by cy_phi, Jun 13, 2008.

1. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I am not sure if I'll go to Cherry Hill. We also danced during the general dancing. I believe that we were the only dancers on the floor. My vest was so lavishly stoned that it blinded people who did not wear sunglasses. By the way, how did you like Ieva's retirement dance, especially with Giampiero?
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

*hot*
  3. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

3.5 vs 4 has no difference but there is usually significant difference between 200 ebay chinese dress vs a nice gown for about 1+.
    you dont have to look like the most expensive thing on the floor but elegant and classy...
    you dont want to look cheap
  4. liz

liz New Member

how did you like the DHA??? I think it was you and I who were talking about it...Didn't check past posts...
  5. Natalka

Natalka Member

Hi Liz!

I also use DHA in my tanner...it works best if you put it in a "liquid" tanner (like Contest Color or Super Braun) versus a lotion because it dissolves easier.

Natalka:)
  6. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Nice to finally meet you Natalka
  7. Natalka

Natalka Member

By the way Samina...
    it was sooooo nice to meet you at Manhattan, although briefly!
    I hope we get more time to talk at a future comp? Maybe you will be at USDSC???

Natalka
  8. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

I did and excited...my first "real" latin I call it. Will have for Empire, which you now aren't doing, right?

She had fun, but such a long day there for a non-dancer. She's a trooper and super supportive...and a huge help when my 5-year old got dropped off later on ;)
  9. liz

liz New Member

hey nat,
    how much dha do you put in a bottle of comp color?
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I like it. Wanna be darker, though. Maybe I need to do it twice (two days in a row) to get the right effect. That would be on $8 little jar per comp.
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Likewise, natalka! Recognized you instantly. :)
    And yep, am planning on USDSC. You'll be there all week?
  12. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm thinking about USDSC. Looked into airfares and didn't feel like passing out from the prices, so that's a good sign :) Want to see how things go this weekend at Desert Classic first, though :)
  13. Natalka

Natalka Member

Yes, same here! You looked very pretty in your gown!
    I have actually been meaning to see what gowns you may have that I like as I am looking for a Standard gown...

I will have to check them out!
  14. Natalka

Natalka Member

Yes, I would dance on Tuesday I believe...so, unfortunately, I will be have to be there all week if I want to see the rest of the juicy stuff!!!
  15. Natalka

Natalka Member

Also, Laura, It was nice to meet you too! You look just like in your photos!
  16. Laura

Laura New Member

So do you. Actually, I think your photos are great but you look even more sexilicious in person!
  17. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

what? there is $200 ballgown? Never heard about it...I've seen $500 gown compared to 1k+ gown already seen difference...
  18. dancexxx

dancexxx New Member

I think the worst thing about dance is the judging, esp in the pro-am standard. For instance, in the one dance and scholarships, you get completely different scores with the same dancers but different panel. Also, in the stand scholarship you get 5 latin judges out of 7 total who seem to be marking the results on anything nut the quality of the couples on the floor. Sorry to say, but sometimes a disgrace.
  19. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

This reminded me this story - Early this year I generously give permission to a girl who loves my purple chrisanne but can't afford to buy to send my pictures to a seamtress for make a copy of the gown for only $500. But she told me the final product only looks like the original from picture but certainly doesn't have the refined workmanship or stone work of Chrisanne and the necklace they copied from original version was so ugly and there was no way she could wear for comp. The copy just doesn't "spark" on the floor. She says copy only okay to wear for college comp in gold level to novice level, once she reaches pre-champ, she'll definitely invest more $$ for a more exquisite gown.
  20. Laura

Laura New Member

I kind of think that's par for the course, though. There were only 5 judges in the single dances and 7 in the Scholarship, the panels were pretty much completely different and every judge has their own way of looking at things and their own opinions. If the placings (and therefore the opinions) are "supposed" be consistent across panels, then what is the point of having multiple judges and different panels anyway? The organizers could save a ton of money and just have one judge mark everything all day long :) Also, dancers themselves are not consistent across events. Some people dance significantly better after they've danced a round or two. Some people then dance significantly worse after they danced three or four rounds :)

I don't know which Pro/Am Standard Scholarship event you were in, but in the one I danced there was only one judge who I consider to be "Latin" and one who I had no idea what their background was. The rest were all Standard/Smooth.