Manhattan Dancesport Championships - 2008

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by cy_phi, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Josh

Josh Active Member

nice samina!
  2. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

Just a follow up about the vendor area.......Taka never planned to be there, Tosca on the other hand, was. I think there may have been some confusion on the website about this. Taka, however, is carried by other vendors, and this is why they don't travel quite as much.

The vendor area was busy at times. Sunday in NYC at any comp is not a great indication of shopper activity, the general economy or excitment in the vendor area. It is a great time to watch the future of ballroom ......little itty bitty kids putting all to shame. Most adult dancers with cc and check books, sleep in and hit lower Manhattan or a matinee. Esp. since they have to pay to get to the vendor area.

I think all vendors did better or the same as last year. As to pricing, I think the currency situation and the fact that stones come from Europe......that effects all. I don't think anyone is ready to give up stones for real.

I think all the vendors want to help the newer dancers with sticker shock. I think if price is a concern, you need to be upfront about that and ask if there are other options. Sometimes there are reduced gowns, sponsor dresses and resales that may fit in a budget better than the one rolled in sew on stones that is on the mannequin. And I think all of us that were at that comp can offer flexibility in design and fabrics that may help your bottom line. I am lucky to be amongst talented, tender competitors in my field who truly want to help dancers look their best and dance their best on the floor.
  3. Laura

Laura New Member

I really appreciate dressgirl's attitude. I sew my own, but do buy from time to time because I'm either tired of sewing, tired of myself and want to break out of the box, or just see something that really works for me that I'd have never gotten around to (or figured out how, or had the patience for) doing myself (like my current dress).

But dressgirl posting reminded me that I wanted to share an odd anecdote that happened to me while I was trying on a beautiful dress she recommended that unfortunately didn't look at all as nice on me as it did on the mannequin. There was someone else trying on dresses, and when that other woman saw me with a Standard dress she started interrogating me! How long have I been dancing, how long have I had my last dress, how many times have I worn it, how many lessons do I take a week, do I live in New Jersey...it was really weird feeling that I was being "checked out" by a competitor. I never did figure out who it was because some people look a LOT different all done up in their hair and makeup! Crazy! I love to meet new people but this did not come across as friendly at all to me.
  4. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

I am sorry Laura.....things happen in that dressing room :) :0 that are just not right sometimes! Next visit I will monitor your dressing room better!
  5. Laura

Laura New Member

It just goes to show that like everywhere else, there are all kinds of people in the dance world! :)
  6. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

In Poland, someone actually stole my shoes in the dressing room, so I could not compete. I was lucky to have a person from my school who lend me hers! Dangerous place, that dressing room.
  7. Laura

Laura New Member

Thing is, the other competitor in that room might not even have known that she was coming across to me as being pushy and a little rude...some people are just like that! I found the whole thing rather amusing.

Sorry to hear about your shoes. Every so often I hear about that kind of poor behavior and it makes me angry that there are sneaky poor sports out there.
  8. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

cool pictures, sam! so you changed Avatar again;)

I have some pics from Manhattan, 2nd time wore this beautiful grapefruit dress (rented from kat) by then but since I received so many compliments about it, just decided to buy last night! so excited!

http://public.fotki.com/dancegirl/ballroom-dancing/manhattandancesport2008/

p.s. left a comment for your album, sam;)
  9. Josh

Josh Active Member

nice photos standarddancer!
  10. Standarddancer

thanks Josh;) yeah! this grapefruit dress is my new baby!!!!
  11. gracie

gracie Active Member

Beautiful Samina and beautiful Standardancer. Danced Standard Waltz for the first time at a studio social (after about 2-3 lessons only). Felt great- guess I'm a new convert!
  12. Standarddancer

thanks gracie, I'm glad you enjoyed your first standard waltz;) waltz is a beautiful dancing that I truly love...
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Oooo...purrty. Love the movement and the way it swirls around you. Love the color. Congrats on the new "baby"!

Lemme know when you're ready to offload it. ;)
  14. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Oh Sam, You did such justice to Kats ruffle black gown. This is one of my favorite of her gowns, but darn, I dont have the height myself to pull it off.... I was hoping you would post pictures.....

You looked incredible, so dreamy... Congrads on your placements!! Must of been very cool to dance in that gown.
  15. Standarddancer

thanks, love this gown;) only thought about renting to begin with, but so nice and even my partner loves it...also in great condition, maybe would wear it for a few more comps, darn, I have more gowns that I actually need but I'm still buying...lol...will definitely let you know:)
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanks so much, jan... very kind. :)

it's been fun to dance in it. one more weekend -- VA -- and then back it goes.

btw... i'm not that tall. under 5'5". and it's shorter than my own nude/white one. was very, very easy to dance in!
  17. Chenga22

Chenga22 New Member

Any news about pictures?

I apologize if this has already been answered, I think I read through the majority of the 58 page thread though. Does anyone know when pictures from the comp will be posted, namely Sunday? The pictures on the site only have till Saturday:( and I want to see pictures from the Pro Rhythm, and possibly my event also.

I already scoped out from the posts that Alliance did it last year, but their site doesn't have this year's.

Thanks
  18. Standarddancer

Park west is the photographer:

that's what I bookmarked:
    http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/store.aspx?p=22157
  19. Natalka

Natalka Member

I will also be posting photos from Pro Rhythm on my website within the next day...got some killer pics!
  20. Chenga22

Chenga22 New Member

Thank you for the site! It's always bittersweet I can't wait to see the pics and then it's like oh man that that and that needs to be fixed Pronto! haha but thank you.

natalka I'll be on the lookout for pics on your site too! ;)