Manhattan Dancesport Championships - 2008

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by cy_phi, Jun 13, 2008.

1. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Wasn't there a post from Gary about a second block of rooms? Are they gone as well?
  2. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

I told someone about Gary's post, but she said when she called, the hotel didn't know what she was talking about, said it was completely sold out. This is hearsay only though, not from personal experience.
  3. njdancegirl

I'm dancing Latin on Thursday and Thursday night and was waiting to see the schedule before deciding whether to take a room or not....looks like I won't be taking the room now...
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

jersey girl... which latin events are you dancing? :)
  5. njdancegirl

Dancing pro/am latin bronze and silver and a bronze championship on Thursday night...think I am all Age A. Ronni's doing the same, but I think in Age C. We'll be there to cheer on your Latin debut..what events will you be doing?

No Standard for me this time since it is on Saturday - spending a leisurely post-comp 4th of July weekend in the Hamptons :D. Though am a bit bummed to be missing all the pro events.
  6. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Yes, thoes rooms are gone too!
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oh, how fun... we can cheer each other on! yay! i'll be doing B silver, just single dances & scholarship, no championship. i won't be there thursday nite... have other plans. :)

the hamptons sound dreamy... hope you have great weather!
  8. njdancegirl

Sam...if I'm not mistaken, you are going to have to change your plans for Thursday night! Thursday day is latin, but Thursday night shows this in the schedule:

~SESSION 3, THURSDAY (EVENING) July 03~
    PRO/AM SMOOTH 4-DANCE CLOSED CHAMPIONSHIPS A, B, & C
    PRO/AM SMOOTH 4-DANCE SCHOLARSHIPS A & B
    PRO/AM SMOOTH 4-DANCE GLOBAL C SCHOLARSHIP
    PRO/AM LATIN 4-DANCE CLOSED CHAMPIONSHIPS A, B, & C
    PRO/AM LATIN 4-DANCE JUNIOR & YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIPS
    PRO/AM LATIN 5-DANCE SCHOLARSHIPS A & B
    PRO/AM LATIN 5-DANCE GLOBAL C SCHOLARSHIP

I'm doing the 4-dance championship which is also in the evening - a bit of a pain in terms of scheduling with latin events in two different sessions but at least all on the same day.

Isn't the scholarship Open...braver than I am!
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

huh...:confused:

am definitely not doing open for latin... starting out at silver is challenging enuf, thankyouvermuch.

will have to talk to pro & see what the scoop is. he's the bloke who handles all registration. i just show up. :)
  10. njdancegirl

http://www.manhattandancesport.com/entry-forms/MDC_Multi_Dance_Pro-Am.pdf

There are closed 4-dance championships in bronze and silver, but the 5-dance scholarship is open.
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Oh, for pete's sake...I'm supposed to chill with laura that nite...had no idea I'd be spanning two sessions. Dear lord, if only single dances are during the day, they must have a zillion heats... And no paso??? But I love paso!!!
  12. Gary McDonald

Gary McDonald New Member

Ok.....here's the update. The hotel was able to add 20 rooms per night but they sold out within a couple of hours so we have secured additional rooms at the Comfort Inn which is 1/2 mile from the Marriott. The regular room rate is $170 per night plus tax but we have secured a rate for Manhattan DanceSport attendees at $139 per night plus tax. The Comfort Inn is located at 279 Butler Street and the phone number for reservations is (347)436-1948
    See you in New York!!
  13. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Wow!! Bet those will be scooped up in about 5 minutes. Way to go!
  14. Laura

Laura New Member

Well darlin', maybe no shopping in that case, but perhaps we could partake of some martini drinking? I'm not competing until Saturday :)

Gary: that's excellent about the rooms, sounds like your comp is going to be really big! I'm really looking forward to this!
  15. mamboqueen

You will be hardpressed to find a silver scholarship that has all 5 dances; some are 3, most are 4.
  16. njdancegirl

For this I am relieved...paso is definitely not a dance I will be competing anytime soon!
  17. njdancegirl

Thanks Gary! That's excellent - I'm close enough to Brooklyn, but far enough also depending on how early comp starts on Thursday AM...and how early I dance.
  18. mamboqueen

Now, see, I'd take paso over jive. :nope:
  19. njdancegirl

That is so far my least fave...I'll let you know when I "seriously" begin work on Paso. Funny...there is at least one dance in each style I could do without.
  20. mamboqueen

My term for *that* dance is a mulligan. I think we all have our mulligans ;)