massage before dance?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, May 25, 2013.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my pro said that when he and his wife were competing they were instructed by their coach not to get a massage day before or day of dancing....yet, I find that this helps me immensely...anyone else have thoughts on this?
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I definitely couldn't do the day before... I am sore after a deep tissue, particularly after a night's sleep. And as they usually concentrate on back/shoulders for me (darn desk job), well, not a good plan. Day of might work, but likely only a light massage, perhaps targeted to an area that's stiff/sore/a little bit injured.

That said, I tend to trend toward the 'too flexible' side of the strength/flexibility spectrum and I have to be careful about how much I loosen up before dance.
  3. fascination

thanks...I am pretty flexible too...when I am loose...but if I am tight from my workouts, or stressed...well....not
  4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

The only reason I would avoid it is it'd mess up my fake tan:rolleyes:. But I get massages regularly, and can't remember the last time I've been sore from a deep massage.
  5. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, massages can also dehydrate you... not good for competition, but easily solved with a jug of Gatorade.
  6. fascination

maybe that is why I have not had an issue...because I sweat so much, I consume copious amounts of water and think it would be near to impossible for me to dehydrate...I do get a bit sore here and there from a truly deep, deep tissue...but nothing 2 advil can't handle...and I am just thinking that the pay off for me in relaxation seems to be worth it...still, I hate to buck expert advice and be caught unawares about something I haven't foreseen....while I had good result once, I don't need any bad surprises...fake tan is not a consideration for me b/c I only real tan....thanks for the input guys...keep it coming for those of you who also have experience or thoughts on this
  7. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I like massage, do it regularly, especially like deep tissue massage, I wouldn't mind doing a day before comp, the only reason restrain me from doing it is afraid of messing up my fake tan. I found very relaxing and flexible after a good massage.
    fascination likes this.
  8. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Well, as you're probably aware, there are many different types of massages. Not all of them will cause residual pain or turn you into a pile of jello.
  9. fascination

see...the thing is, Swedish has virtually no impact on me...but I still think that, in general, I am always going to risk it...as, thusfar, it has been a good thing for me
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Massages don't dehydrate you. What they do is stimulate the lymphatic system, and you should help it move along with liquids so you can detox a bit.
    stash, mindputtee, billman and 3 others like this.
  11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If it helps, do it. If it seems to not help, don't do it.
  12. fascination

well...I have only done it once...that's sort of the point...things went fine that time...just checking whether or not others had any particular adverse reactions given what my pro had said
  13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Thing is, it might be great for you, but not for someone else, who has different issues. From horses I've learned that just because someone else, who isn't me or my horse, says of a particular thing "ZOMG it's terrible don't do it!" doesn't mean whatever it is doesn't work for me. If it makes you feel good and feeling good makes you dance well, there's your evidence. I've only had one sports massage, and it wasn't right before an event, so I can't really judge whether it was good or bad for competing.. Did feel nice at the time, though and helped identify some trouble spots.
  14. fascination

sure...just checking, because of the source...ie. my pro's coach...and it didn't sound like something that was meant to be specific only to them...so I just wanted to know if there was some common thinking on it....i suppose also that they were young then, and not nearly as badly in need of a massage as my creaky old body is, nevermind the level of performance they were at....
  15. raindance

raindance Active Member

You could try it before your lessons a couple of times, since your lessons might approximate the intensity of a comp day in some ways... Might give you a way to do some trial runs before deciding whether to try it again for a comp.
  16. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i suspect the main reason not to get massage the day of dancing is the lenghtening and loosening of the muscles that occurs. makes them harder to use in fast twich muscle situations
  17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

My pro gets massages before she competes. I think this is a different strokes for different folks sort of thing.
  18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

literally ... a balinese massage before competing might be great .... a deep tissue maybe not
  19. Lyra

Lyra Active Member

This. I really think that this is an individual thing. I know a pro who used to have a massage on the day of competition, he tended to tighten and stiffen up when tense and said that it helped him relaxed and loose. I've got a friend who always falls asleep when she has a massage - probably wouldn't be a good idea for her! I probably wouldn't do it on the day of a competition, but more because of tan and make-up issues. The day before, though...yes, I'd do that if I found that it helped.
    danceronice and 3wishes like this.
  20. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Great, now I'm really craving a massage. :p

for me, im more likely to do it the day AFTER a competition! :)