Mbe?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by xxtupikxx, May 26, 2008.

1. xxtupikxx

xxtupikxx Member

Some of the pro dancers have a designation after their names "MBE". What does MBE stand for?

Ex: Donnie Burns MBE, Bobbie Irvine MBE, Karen Hilton MBE, etc...
  2. Laura

Laura New Member

"Member of the British Empire." It's one of the orders of Knighthood (but not one that is hereditary or carries the honorific "Sir" or "Dame").
  3. dance234

dance234 New Member

4. dance234

dance234 New Member

(M for member, not master)
  5. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

And you can be sure that a guy has demonstrated excellent floorcraft before they let him wear a sword.

(These are the knights who say "heel-toe, toe, toe-heel")

Oh, wikipedia says not so... too bad.
  6. operabob

operabob New Member

We're very aware of the sword issue here in British Columbia.

The opposition benches in our provincial government are officially 2 1/2 sword lengths apart.

OB ;-)
  7. QPO

QPO New Member

We have people in Australia that are eligible for an OBE (Order of British Empire) although Australia is no longer a part of the Commonwealth anymore but we still seem to get their award systems from the Queen. And every four years we still are involved in the commonwealth games.
  8. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

All joking aside I think these awards are very appropriate recognition. Not just of outstanding accomplishment, but of these dancer's roles in continuing the historical British role in establishing ballroom dancing with ongoing leadership into the present day. A wonderful example of empire-by-leadership if you will.
  9. Me

Me New Member

:uplaugh:
  10. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

My great grandfather was awarded the OBE(Order Of The British Empire) and I have the medal.Maybe I shall wear it to dance in some day.

BTW it basically goes MBE-OBE-Knighthood

Cheers Chris
  11. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

So how to be become an MBE? I know very littlw of this other than a queen is in charge of knighting the knights and what not.....ok let me rephrase that and just say that I know nothing of this.....
  12. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

One is reccomended by an MP or the suchlike ,and it is usually given given for outstanding services to the general public.. that rec. is passed on to the " higher " powers who then consider it.

MBE is not a K/hood. Order of ascendency... Mbe,, OBE.,... CBE. ( my cousin was awarded one )
  13. reb

reb Active Member

Yes . . . sir? :D
  14. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

If you live to be old enough ( hope ya do ).. they start to call you that anyway !! :rolleyes: