Men dancing with men

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Chiron, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Chiron

Chiron New Member

There seems to be a bit of conversation about this in another thread so I thought I would break it off into a new thread.

How many of the guys here have danced with other guys?
    For the women... what do think when you see two guys dancing together?

As for me I'll admit I like a good lead now and then. I'll admit there is some machismo in showing I can follow ;). I've danced standard and latin with some of the male pros at the studio. When I've danced latin the charactistic of the dance changes some, flirting is gone and it is more competitive (sort of like when you are wrestling with your brother) and everything also becomes a lot harder and sharper.

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I've done it with pros at studio with some regularity in classes/lessons, but never at a party or anywhere else.

3. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

We encourage/prod the guys to do it at our USA Dance parties. The girls dance swing together and hustle, and wooh and I do a mean VW together, so we always send wooh's husband to try to see who will dance with him. Some of the guys will run from him, but quite a few step up to the plate and have produced lots of laughter and tons of applause from others watching. We love it because to us it shows how confident a guy is in his manliness to be able to dance with another man without feeling self concious. We've had some who have even put on quite the show, and of course got resounding applause from those watching! Great fun to loosen everyone up!

4. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Even though I have NEVER been able to get myself to do this (just how I'm wired I guess), I do find it oddly entertaining. You and wooh also do a mean VW alright, especially to that song from "Harry Potter"! :mrgreen:

Wooh's husband just cracks me up something fierce, especially when he does that slide like Kramer on Seinfeld! Did he study episodes of "Seinfeld" for days or weeks straight? He does that so well! :rocker::cheers:

5. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I dont know where he got it from, but it's become his signature move now so that even when he doesnt do it, he gets requests for him to do it. ha ha! :D

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my fenale BFF and another girlfriend of hers do a mean bachata together...it's all good

7. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Who knows, he just might spark a new dance craze yet :uplaugh:

8. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

slavik is dancing with a men here in the studio when he is teaching. I am also dancing with a woman. That is normal when you are a teacher.

i don't have nothing against gay people, actually i have a lots of gay friends, and I love to go shopping with them. :p (while my BF is driving me crazy when we are going shopping).

But when it comes to ballroom dancing, i don't like the combination of same sex. It is a little bit strange to see 2 guys dancing Intl. Rumba.

9. davedove

davedove Active Member

I have danced with another man in class, but it was because he was learning to follow in preparation for becoming an instructor.

He did tell me I had strong leads.;)

10. swan

swan Member

Well, this ought to go to the Video portion. But former World & Blackpool Champion (Augusto Schiavo) & Blackpool Finalist (Massimo Giorgianni) certainly have brought Man Dancing with Man to new Heights ! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqhsrM0CjsU

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

It's big in the NY/NJ hustle scene. And most pros I've spoken with say they love to follow. My old BF, a hustle dancer, did. Was fun to watch him in that role.

And then there's one of my few regrets in life, the evening I missed Baricchi and Giampiero dance standard together in a lengthy workshop demonstration. Dear me...that wouldve been something!

Anyway, I see men dancing with men all the time in studios. Would be fun to see more of it in socials!

12. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I was dancing with a man during a lesson with a couple I teach, and one of the other instructors said:
    "You two look so nice together"
    And I said:
    "Yea, we are working on our wedding dance", and everybody laughed. :)

When I am working with a couple, I try not to dance with either of them two much. I prefer to have them dance mostly together, as this is how they practice. Mainly, I just do this to help get the feeling in the body for a step.

13. swan

swan Member

My friend's husband/dance partner, who's about my built & height, once tried dancing V. Waltz with my partner. My friend & I took a look & told them that if they ever want to pocket a World title, they'd be better off with each other than with us! That was one V. Waltz done the right way! Powerful, no overshaping & just flowed. WOW!

14. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Is there a shortage of girls in their area???

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Wow indeed. I would love to dance as prettily as either one of my instructors... :)

16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I've done it, but I always find it awkward. Has nothing to do with any sexual connotation -- I just don't like the way that men move. :D If I'm going to follow, I'd much rather reverse roles with a woman.

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I am so coming to Alabama one day... :)

18. kayak

kayak Active Member

Outside of class situations, I have no interest in dancing with a guy. Plus, there are always more ladies than guys at dances. So they would shoot both guys because that leaves two ladies sitting out :)

19. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

So what's the best way to overcome this problem and still be a male follower?

Get the lady to lead, and the man to follow. I have done this before at a social. I have never danced man-man at a social.

20. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Done that too. I know a couple of strong lady leaders :)

And Swan, thanks much for the Massimo/Augusto clip. That was great!