Men dancing with men

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Chiron, Dec 10, 2008.

1. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I'm of the firm belief that all men should practice following and all women should practice leading. Nothing makes you more aware of your partner than stepping into his or her role.

That said, I do enjoy following on occasion - usually smooth more than rhythm - and I may be doing same sex competition before regular competition due to delay in reinstating my amateur status (same sex comps don't always draw a distinction).
  2. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Around here, the only dance a man-man situation would work on without incurring female wrath is V.Waltz. There's an shortage of women who can do that dance. So the remaining guys either dance it alone or with each other.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my favorite...hands down...I simply adore VW
  4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I've seen it a few times.

One teacher I know will often dance WCS as a follow, usually with a particular student (with whom he's good friends) who gets very embarrassed to be dancing with another guy. The teacher hams it up, and it's just hilarious to watch.

I've seen it a few times with AT. Open embrace. It started out as a joke--it was one guy's birthday dance, and another male teacher joined the rotation...and kept it. It was fascinating to watch, because it completely changed the look of the dance. I wish I'd gotten it on video, because it was beautiful. I found the same thing other times, as well--the character of the dance just becomes very different, very powerful somehow.

As for girls & girls--I've danced close embrace AT with a woman before. Several times throughout the particular evening, since there was a shortage of leaders, and she was good. Aside from the technical difficulties of boobs being in the way (she was rather well-endowed) which dampens the feel of the lead, it was great. I found her to be an inordinately considerate leader. I could feel her understanding of what I needed as a follower, and it was awesome. I'd jump at the chance to follow a woman again.
  5. dancepro

dancepro New Member

I actually teach a couple (man/man). They each counldn't find a partner that was willing to practice as much and as hard as they wanted. They both looked for partners for a about six month and finally decided to dance together. They are going to some big competitions in Europe. One of the competitions was in Denmark and the other was in either Holland or Germany. I do think one of the competitions was the World Championship and the other was Guy Olympics.

How do I feel about teaching them? Not a problem. To me the important thing is, they want to dance and they are eager to learn, two of the most important things for dancers. I just had get used to use the terms initiator and responder again as I have not used those terms like that since moving to the US.

Dancepro
  6. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I think it would be ABnormal at one of our social dances for guys not to dance together at least one or two times. I guess that's just how my team rolls... most of our guys are pretty darn secure. :)
  7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

[F: I think a trip to San Jose may be in order :roll:]
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

as fast as I can driver there ;)
  9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Do they alternate lead/follow or has one switched?
  10. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I have danced a few steps with my studio owner in classes. He wanted the guys to see what a particular lead should feel like. Didn't bother me and I really was curious to see what kind of lead he is, but I doubt I'd dance at a social with another guy.

I'm told, and I have no idea if this is accurate, that Argentine tango was originally danced by men together and it was a macho thing sort of like an upright wrestling match and to see who had the best moves.
  11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

The version I heard was that they learned it with each other in order to dance with the brothel women - women being rather scarce at that time. I tried to check this out but I don't think anyone really knows....
  12. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Dancing guys are in such short supply here that it would look strange (like why are they doing it when there are so many available girls). This year the university team even had girl-girl showcase, and there is apparent shortage of new guys (there's a bunch of guys who were part of the ballroom club for at least a year or more, and there is a bunch of new girls, but no new guys from the looks of it).
  13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I've heard varying stories about the origins. The story which seemed to have gotten the most credence, based on the reactions of the other Argentines in the room, does, indeed involve women in brothels and men dancing with men...but not in the either of these ways. It's an interesting story (and who knows if it's true), but it's completely OT. (And, since it's me, it would be long in the telling.)
  14. dancepro

dancepro New Member

Part of the criteria (in the Worlds and the Olympics) is that they should shift between who is the initiator and who is the responder. So yes, they have to understand the difference between the yin energy and the yang energy. They tend to get very good at understanding the difference after a few lessons.

Dancepro
  15. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

BOT...but this city made yahoo news of most men to women imbalance ratio of 17% more men to women. Now carry that over to the ballroom dance scene.
  16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Before we move we need one more number - the fraction of men in same sex ballroom ... ;)
  17. kayak

kayak Active Member

I guess my answer would be why would you want to? Is the goal to be a better leader because you can follow kind of like dance practice or to really dance the ladies part?

As a guy, the challenge of dancing with a lady leader is mass. If we are thinking about leading with our centers, ladies naturally move out of the way to avoid getting run over. As a guy follower, I can just stand there and let her run into me. So it is truly by option that I move the way my roll as a follower says I should.
  18. kayak

kayak Active Member

Even if you are secure from any homophobia, how does your group avoid the competitive nature of being guys? Most guys I know really want to be better than the other guy. They also want to be the team captain.

Wrestling is an example of guys being secure that being near another man will not suddenly make them gay. Still, there are very few guys who are happy getting pushed around and pinned.
  19. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

I really enjoy seeing two guys dancing... or two gals... well I enjoy anything that is considered out of the "norm"... I've always told my pro he makes a prettier follow than I do. :)

I'll have to see if I can find it... there is a you tube video I saw of a same-gender salsa competition... I think it was held in Las Vegas... but it was really cool! I happened across it by accident... must go look....
  20. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Where I am, male-male dancing at a social is never seen.