Men dancing with men

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Chiron, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

How does your teacher teach you, then?

2. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

Oh, really? :) So do wannabe male instructors learn following by dancing with male instructors or do they swap roles with a woman?

3. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Both, probably. It certainly never bothered me, why would it?

4. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

yes of course.

5. pinkstuff

pinkstuff Member

Male with male. Frequently seen at my studio.

Not sure what the issue is. Having recently seen two high-level male dancers do standard together - they looked fab together & if I, as a follow, could achieve that level of grace & elegance in standard, I would be very happy :D Same-sex dancing is interesting & I think there are different challenges - I watched a competition recently & there was lots of lead-follow swaps during choreography so clearly both partners had a good understanding of both roles. Made for interesting (& challenging!) watching.

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

People who become really good teachers take from teachers of both sexes. Most of their students will be the opposite role (leads usually teach follows and vice-versa in private lessons) so they really need to know where the student's coming from.

7. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

To return to OP's original question, I have no shame in admitting I like following a guy almost as much as (if not as much as) leading a girl. After following something, it makes it so much easier for me to figure out how to lead it. Getting both sides of the picture is crucial to becoming a better dancer. Plus, follows get to do all the fun stuff. It's really unfair sometimes. I love the chicken walks in swing ...

At socials, a few male friends from my team and I make it a point to dance together in varying combinations, no matter what dance or style, 1) because of the benefits above and 2) because it's just so much fun to hang out with each other and entertain ourselves (and, most often, those watching us). Then again, our team always does notoriously well at fun dance same-sex rumbas at collegiate comps, so perhaps we're just automatically conditioned ...

8. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

If we ever dance together, when it comes to chicken walks, I'll happily trade roles with ya... :p

9. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

10. famfam

famfam Member

I'm a male, and at socials I've followed before, simply because I think it's fun, most people I know just think I'm a surprisingly good follow, and as far as I know no one has really cared much otherwise. I'd follow a guy or a girl, but guys are just better at it :) although I have followed both

11. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

FWIW There's a video of Kryklyvyy and Killick dancing together in the videos section. There wasn't any clear cut leading and following though. Cha cha and paso doble.

12. dlliba10

It's a deal! :D

13. bclure

bclure Member

Ok, a little selfish here.. BUT I would really like to feel like it is ok to go to group classes as a follow. It's ok for the ladies to come as leaders. I have actually had a guy refuse to dance with me and in most cases, there is some level of weirdness no matter what. Too much nervous humor... shut up and dance! Most days I am comfortable and want to give back to the community by being a strong leader through the rotations, but some days, it's about me darn it. ;)

14. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Some women get weirded out by women leading in group lessons too. But I can see it being worse for men.

15. DanceLightly

DanceLightly New Member

In my courses, I allow everyone to sign up in advance as leaders or followers and then they can dance what they want for the entire course. I do it this way for a number of reasons, including such requests from male students to learn to follow and ladies to lead. It's not a problem for me or my students this way. It would be a problem, for example, if I ran a drop in class and 3 of my 5 men decided to dance as follows... would throw the whole balance off and tick off some of female clients. In addition, because it is up front about having the option to lead or follow, my students are a bit more open to the idea.

16. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Although I only started dancing less than a year ago, I am also learning how to lead with a friend of mine who is a follow.
    It's quite an experience changing roles. I don't see why it shouldn't be ok for men to learn how to be follows. It's the magic of dance;dance transcends sexes, there are no limits. There is no weight limit, no age limit, no ability-disability limit. Why should there be sex discrimination?
    I love seeing men dance together, not only for personal reasons, but because I find it really beautiful. It's the combination of two strengths, while with two women dancing together, it's the combination of their grace.

17. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Er...not when it's ballroom dancing, no.

18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I've never noticed guys having problems dancing with guys at any of the classes I've been at. This year at MIT a few of my guy friends did latin together and were getting quite a bit of cheering from the audience, it was good fun. I (as a tall woman) enjoy leading some of my shorter male friends in ballroom once in a while. It's good fun and in the reverse role waltz at DCDI last year my friend and I actually finaled. It gives me a chance to appreciate how hard the leaders work.

I also occasionally pop in on the newbie classes the older members of the university team have and if there are not enough leaders I'll lead so that every one gets a chance to dance. Maybe it is that from an early point in our dance experience we dance with the same sex so it's no big deal to us.

Oh and I forgot, at Ohio last year one of our newbies was TBA and couldn't find a leader so I offered to dance with her so that she could get a chance to dance. We actually made a call back or two and it made both her and I so happy.

19. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

There are not enough guys dancing for them to be able to do that, at least where I am here. Unless when dear instructor who is a male, tries to demonstrate the female part to the students with the help of another male student. I am helping out instructor with beginners class and there is only one male student there, with 10 other females. I had to help instructor lead the females but I guess because there are sections like Ladies' Events in competitions, it isn't really that weird for them.

20. dlliba10

:eek: They were AWESOME!

I don't know -- for me, it boils down to the fact that I would feel awful asking my follow to do something I couldn't / wouldn't do myself. So, I work on my following with other men leading to make myself a better leader by knowing what my follow feels and is being asked to do. Granted, I can really only do this in cha and rumba so far, but that's the point of practice, isn't it? ;)