Men's competition hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wyllo, Aug 24, 2005.

1. wyllo

wyllo New Member

My partner asked me to pose this question to the standard guys -- how do you do your hair? At Nationals we noticed that the standard dancers had impeccable hair -- every strand was in place and it didn't seem to move at all. Any thoughts on cut/styling and what the best products are?

2. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

My hair is nearly impossible to slick back like most standard dancers have their hair. My standard coach pointed out a product that will tame ANYTHING. It's called Got2b Glued. It comes in a yellow package and is the consistancy of that elmer's glue everyone used to eat in kindergarden.

I heard someone talking at nationals about some product they put in their hair to make it more shiny after styling it. Anybody heard of that or know what it is?

My partner also told me about a hair spray test. To check the strength of hair spray (or anything I suppose) - spray a little bit on the tip of your index finger, hold your thumb and index finger together, after it dries some, try pulling your fingers apart. If you compare brands, you should be able to tell which is stronger by how hard it is to pull your fingers apart.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

got 2 be glued is a miracle worker...I had to get extremely short layered hair into that nice standard look (w/ bun cover because it was too short for even a bun or twist) and not only did it hold like concrete but I didn't even need boobby pins or spray ....your hair will not move no matter what...it can be purchased at walgreens

4. fascination

OMG I can't beleive I typed BOOBy pins instead of bobby pins ... this is what I meant in the engineers and dancing post....my engineer husband would never post without spell checking :oops: :oops: think I should learn from this

5. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Ugh, sounds disgusting. But whatever works right? :D

6. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Exactly, and if you fall on your head, no worries!! It's quite unique to feel your hair literally plastered in place for the first time.

7. fascination

but wash you hands well unless you are dancing standard b/c you will never be able to separate otherwise :wink:

8. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

honestly though, I don't think man should have the hair glued down to the dead... I vote for blow drier and spray to keep in clean instead... That's what most standard boys do....

9. fascination

i totally agree....I saw my instructor for the first time without the look you described and thought "wow, he looks great"

10. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

The only advice I've gotten is to make sure the neckline is clean, regardless of the style. In fact, if you have a shorter neck, it's better that have the barber take it up a little higher than "normal" so hair doesn't hang over the collar. I personally don't like it too crispy and slick, but I think different people can do different things. My hair is wavey, so I prefer it a little messy, after having gone the slick look in my earlier years.

11. mr bixx

mr bixx Member

my hair was a disaster lat comp. for my every day i wear my hair "messy". its short but spike and looks like i just woke up but its really styled. hope i'm making that clear. anyway i walked onto the comp floor like that and aftewards i had several judges and coachs(same people i guess) get on me for that. said i looked out of place and trashy. i learned my lesson and will be slicking it for the next comp.

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

The Fructis Super Stiff gel, by Garnier, also works wonders for keeping absolutely every last strand of hair in place.

13. tbrennen

tbrennen Member

As you can see from my photo, I don't have to worry much about what I do with my hair. I just have to nail down the wispies on the top of my head.

14. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Besides hair, what are those things male dancers puff on their faces? I saw Igor Lintiov putting some on his face from a small jar in mens dressing room a week ago, and I asked him, what it was. he did not anser and hid it behind his back. I want to put something on my face to be looked more respectable but I don't know what. Anyone knows?

15. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I wish I have hair like yours. One less thing to worry about. Are there many great bald dancers? I remember Bill Morganti and possibly Montreal's Pierre Allelaire.

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

See that "edit" button at the top right of your post? ;)

17. fascination

regarding what guys put on their faces...hmmm don't know other than self-tanning stuff...seen guys w/ a little vial of that at comps????

and let me also say YES YES YES PIERRE ALLAIRE...OOOOOOLALA

18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I LOVE that spikey look on guys! Also, bald guys look sexy, too and they can save big bucks on hair care products(or I can donate some of my hair!). I use Asian hair gel for guys that keeps every hair in place, even if I ride in a convertible! The Asians have thick, unruly hair, so their products are very good! Makes spikey hair very dangerous!("You can poke an eye out with that!") :lol:

19. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Can't make such a sweeping statement. Mao and Chang Kai Sheck did not have much hair.

20. saludas

saludas New Member

Bill Irvine.... and the previous Snr Standard Champion (also a Blackpool finalist as well) Mark Sheldon....